Synthetic Oil question

Old December 15th 07, 10:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tony Harding

Default Synthetic Oil question

Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

> ACAR wrote:

>>> On my Acura, owner's manual recommend the same oil change interval
>>> regardless of synthetic oil or not.

>> If following the owner's manual to the letter makes you happy, then do
>> so.
>>
>> May I remind you that until recently Honda did not recommend periodic
>> brake fluid replacement and many owners who followed the manual to the
>> letter found themselves with seized calipers.
>>
>> Actually, there's quite a list of PM items omitted from owner's
>> manuals in the interest of showing low maintenance costs for those
>> silly on-line total cost of ownership comparisons. Not all the "extra"
>> items dealers do are frivolous.

> I would imagine, (Since I don't own a vehicle with it), that today's ABS
> systems require brake fluid that is in good condition and considering
> that conventional fluids are hydroscopic in nature

Minor nit, it's hygroscopic, i.e., pulling moisture from the air, not
hydroscopic.
Old December 15th 07, 12:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

On Dec 14, 9:18 pm, jim beam > wrote:
> > I think Honda Accord are designed to have a perfect balance of work
> > load between the engine and transmission. Hence the slow acceleration.

> eh???

the most retarded response i've ever seen

> > Your guess is right, but Honda Z1 does nothing to improve
> > accelleration. Z1 works in a way to reduce the noticable shift shocks
> > in Honda transmissions at the expense of extended slippage between
> > gears, and as a result slower acceleration and higher transmission
> > temperature.

> dude, it's not NOTHING to do with acceleration. period.

good Lord, now you know! so next time don't come here peddling about
Z1 when acceleration being the subject, and most importantly don't
repeat that after me, wiseass!

> > So Honda introduced Z1 to soothe their hearts and ensure future sales
> > to those who wants to give up sound engineering for a little driving
> > convenience.

> what???

"what???" isn't an answer, bitch!

> bottom line, you're welcome to wreck your own vehicle by not using
> correct fluids, but please don't bull**** about transmission fluid
> somehow causing better acceleration - it's flat-out incorrect.

now repeat after me, Z1 causes transmissions to slip.
Old December 15th 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Seth

"Polfus" <nostringscouldsecureyou@thestation> wrote in message

> "Pszemol" > wrote
>> "Polfus" <nostringscouldsecureyou@thestation> wrote

>>> Holy crap! Thats amazing!

>> You are easily amused... this milleage is not unusuall.
>> I drive toyota camry 4-cyl 1995 with 238k miles on the odometer.

> Holy crap! Thats amazing!

Why are you so amazed that a well engineered vehicle does what it is
supposed to do?

Old December 15th 07, 08:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Seth wrote:
> "Polfus" <nostringscouldsecureyou@thestation> wrote in message
>>
>> "Pszemol" > wrote
>>> "Polfus" <nostringscouldsecureyou@thestation> wrote

>>> You are easily amused... this milleage is not unusuall.
>>> I drive toyota camry 4-cyl 1995 with 238k miles on the odometer.

>> Holy crap! Thats amazing!

> Why are you so amazed that a well engineered vehicle does what it is
> supposed to do?

easy: just be an inexperienced kid from ford country.
Old December 16th 07, 12:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Grumpy AuContraire

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

> In article >,
> TomP > wrote:
>

>> See pg. 317 of your owner's manual. Which says you can use it, providing
>> it
>>meets the current API specifications and is changed at intervals shown on the
>>information display

> You could use Plutonian ice water if it met the API specifications for
> lubrication and was changed at the intervals required.
>
> Nothing magic about that. The API specs tell all.

Izzat when Pluto has been left out all night and he's squirting ice cubes?

<brrrr>

JT

Old December 16th 07, 04:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Polfus wrote:

> "jim beam" > wrote
>
>>> Why are you so amazed that a well engineered vehicle does what it is
>>> supposed to do?

>> easy: just be an inexperienced kid from ford country.

> That's twice in a row you've attempted to insult me.
>
> So BITE ME, loser....and make teeth marks when you do, 'cause I am not a
> kid, nor have I ever owned a Ford in my life.

so how old are you?
Old December 17th 07, 05:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

"Polfus" <nostringscouldsecureyou@thestation> wrote in message ...
>> Why are you so amazed that a well engineered vehicle does what it is
>> supposed to do?

> Forget it Seth...if you think that Hondas *routinely* go over 200,000 miles,
> and that 10/10 people have Accords that lasted over 200,000 miles..then
> go ahead.

You do not think this is a rule?
Check the used cars listings in your area...
All these cars are still drivable.
Old December 17th 07, 07:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

On Dec 15, 11:24 am, jim beam > wrote:

> simplistically, slip is where you put your foot down and the motor spins
> with no increase in vehicle speed. smooth engagement means the pressure
> regulator of a honda transmission is calibrated for honda z1 fluid -
> it's got nothing to do with slipping or power. if you use the wrong
> fluid, the calibration is incorrect, hence the lurch which you are
> experiencing. if you keep driving with your transmission wrongly filled
> like you are at present, that lurch will wreck your motor mounts and
> transmission.

Listen, fool, until the torque converter locks up, automatic
transmisssions operates in limited-slipping modes between engagement.
Z1 eases the engagement of gears by extending the slipping mode! Your
mother may like it smooth, but it's bad for your Honda transmissions

Old December 17th 07, 02:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

wrote:
> On Dec 15, 11:24 am, jim beam > wrote:
>> simplistically, slip is where you put your foot down and the motor spins
>> with no increase in vehicle speed. smooth engagement means the pressure
>> regulator of a honda transmission is calibrated for honda z1 fluid -
>> it's got nothing to do with slipping or power. if you use the wrong
>> fluid, the calibration is incorrect, hence the lurch which you are
>> experiencing. if you keep driving with your transmission wrongly filled
>> like you are at present, that lurch will wreck your motor mounts and
>> transmission.

> Listen, fool, until the torque converter locks up, automatic
> transmisssions operates in limited-slipping modes between engagement.
> Z1 eases the engagement of gears by extending the slipping mode! Your
> mother may like it smooth, but it's bad for your Honda transmissions

even f1 race cars, pretty much the ultimate in engineering design,
strive to achieve smooth transmission shifting in their semi-automatics.
not because they're driven by wussies, but because, as i've stated
repeatedly before, it mitigates fatigue in the transmission and drive
line. you need to study the effect of stress amplitude vs. fatigue
life. a bit of tribology wouldn't hurt you either.

synthetic oil... Cal[_1_] Jeep 21 July 23rd 06 11:28 PM
Synthetic And Regular Oil Together Question ? Robert11 Technology 5 May 2nd 06 09:09 PM
Synthetic Oil Question John Jeep 18 March 24th 06 10:54 AM
Synthetic oil price question TomKan Chrysler 9 April 27th 05 10:26 PM
Question to those who use synthetic oil Joe Blo General 14 July 22nd 04 03:47 AM