94 Caprice 9C1 police rear axle bearing question

Old April 12th 05, 01:06 AM

Default 94 Caprice 9C1 police rear axle bearing question

My son owns a 94 Caprice Classic 4 door sedan which was a former New
Hampshire state police car. It gets driven between 5000-10,000 miles a
year, and no longer sees any high speed pursuits. It now has 150,000
miles on it and still looks and runs very well.
The car recently failed inspection because it showed signs that it had
started leaking oil from the right side rear axle seal. We pulled both
seals and axles to replace the seals and noted that while the right
axle surface, where it mates with the roller bearing was in fine shape,
the left side axle has a very slight indentation forming in the roller
bearing area. (This side was not leaking but of course we decided to do
both sides). I never thought to check for excessive bearing play before
I pulled the left axle so unfortunately I can't comment on that. The
left side bearings though look to be fine, with no apparent wear or
scoring. We went ahead and put the two new seals in, (we set them in
using a flat metal plate), and installed the right axle, brakes and
rotor, but then I got to thinking about the left axle. In my opinion
its a little scored but it really doesn't seem to be that bad. But
although I think that I know my way around a car fairly well, I'm a
Saturday mechanic, and certainly not qualified to render a professional
opinion on this subject.
I have described this to three local mechanics that I know, (they
haven't seen it), and they all have told me that it doesn't sound that
bad, and if it wasn't causing any trouble before, and if it didn't leak
then, I should probably just slap it back together and not worry about
it.
I should mention that I don't own a bearing puller or a driver to
install a new "save an axle" bearing seal combination, and although
that would not be a valid reason for not doing the job, I really don't
want to do it if at all possible it can be avoided. My son posted a
picture of this axle on another forum. The link is below. If anyone can
please take a few moments to look at it and give me your opinions I
would be most sincerely grateful. Also your predictions on life
expectancy if the "save an axle" bearing/seal combo its not replaced
would also be most welcome. Thanks very much, Lenny Stein.

Old April 12th 05, 01:09 AM
Shep

Link is not attached, try again.
oups.com...

Old April 12th 05, 01:33 AM

Here is a link.

http://shelly2110ma.tripod.com/siteb...s/100_3729.jpg

Old April 12th 05, 01:43 AM

Not sure if this posted
http://shelly2110ma.tripod.com/siteb...s/100_3729.jpg

Old April 12th 05, 02:02 AM

that one doesnt seem to be working try this

http://shelly2110ma.tripod.com/shellysworld/id28.html

Old April 12th 05, 12:19 PM
pater

I would get another axle. You should be able to find one in a boneyard
pretty cheap. Every one of those offset bearing/seal (save the axle)
deals I've ever seen were leaking in short time & had to be removed &
fixed correctly anyway. I would avoid that kind of repair. Good luck.

Old April 12th 05, 01:34 PM
Shep

That is called brinelling, this axle should be replaced with the bearing.
oups.com...

Old April 12th 05, 05:22 PM

Do you guys know if there is a reason that the left side went and the
right didn't? Is it something to do with the differential action just
perhaps tourqueing the one wheel on takeoff? It is a posi axle I'm
told. Or is there no specific reason why one side would go and the
other wouldn't? Are the lefts more prone to fail than the rights? Are
the left and right axles identical? And also if this is the case then
if we go to the junkyard should we try to pull a right first in hopes
of getting a good one? Thanks, Lenny.

Old April 12th 05, 08:08 PM
Shep

I think the bearing just went bad and that caused the wear pattern on the
axle. I also believe the axle lengths are different.
oups.com...