Carmax rip off - - Carmax is selling damaged cars.

Old February 18th 04, 03:22 PM

In dfw.general Ron > wrote:

> I bought a lexus'02 from carmax in Fort Worth, TX on 02/07/2004(9 days
> ago). At the time of purchase, salesman told that there was no
> accident or no work was done on the car. As of yesterday, I figured
> out the right fender was repaired and repainted. I went back to Carmax
> and told them about this. They checked repair history and this repair
> was even there (So they knew the car was damaged and carmax did work
> on it). But now these guys are not ready to return/negotiate the car
> because it is over 5 days of return policy (btw today is my 10th day).
> According to them it was a minor problem. It could be a minor problem
> for them but not for me. I have spent 30K on this car while the new
> car is just 32K-33K.

You know, that illustrates exactly why we didn't consider Carmax any
further after visiting them -- not the way you were treated, but the
price. Why in the hell would you get a 2 year old used car for a
measly 2k off the price of a new one? We did the same browsing, and
with dealer incentives on new cars (and haggling, which I don't think
Carmax does) we actually ended up paying *less* for a new car than
they were asking for the 1-2 year old used car. It's just insane.

To your specific car, I'm betting that was a Lexus ES-300. The used
car full retail value for that car is 26k-27k, and there's no way you
should pay more than about 25k for it....

--

That's News To Me!

Old February 18th 04, 08:57 PM
Flatch U. Lance

Carmax is the single most overpriced rip-off in DFW, often selling
above retail. They even admitted it 2 years ago in a big write up in
the DMN. They said they didn't care because cars are flying off the
lot. I am glad that there will always be a constant stream of buyers
like you. If not for you, us smart buyers wouldn't get the deals we
get.

You actually paid $30,000 for a 2 year old car when the new ones are
selling for $32,000. I'm laughing so hard it's hard to type this......

Old February 19th 04, 04:17 AM
Bubba Kahuna

Ron wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I bought a lexus'02 from carmax in Fort Worth, TX on 02/07/2004(9 days
> ago). At the time of purchase, salesman told that there was no
> accident or no work was done on the car. As of yesterday, I figured
> out the right fender was repaired and repainted. I went back to Carmax
> and told them about this. They checked repair history and this repair
> was even there (So they knew the car was damaged and carmax did work
> on it). But now these guys are not ready to return/negotiate the car
> because it is over 5 days of return policy (btw today is my 10th day).
> According to them it was a minor problem. It could be a minor problem
> for them but not for me. I have spent 30K on this car while the new
> car is just 32K-33K.
>
> Please let me know what I can do to deal with these guys?
>

> ~Ron.

Call your state's Attorney General's office.
Tel them your story and bring documentation.

Good luck,
- Jeff G

Old February 19th 04, 04:02 PM
felton

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:17:07 -0600, Bubba Kahuna
> wrote:

>Ron wrote:
>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I bought a lexus'02 from carmax in Fort Worth, TX on 02/07/2004(9 days
>> ago). At the time of purchase, salesman told that there was no
>> accident or no work was done on the car. As of yesterday, I figured
>> out the right fender was repaired and repainted. I went back to Carmax
>> and told them about this. They checked repair history and this repair
>> was even there (So they knew the car was damaged and carmax did work
>> on it). But now these guys are not ready to return/negotiate the car
>> because it is over 5 days of return policy (btw today is my 10th day).
>> According to them it was a minor problem. It could be a minor problem
>> for them but not for me. I have spent 30K on this car while the new
>> car is just 32K-33K.
>>
>> Please let me know what I can do to deal with these guys?
>>

>> ~Ron.

>Call your state's Attorney General's office.
>Tel them your story and bring documentation.
>
>Good luck,
> - Jeff G

I am not an attorney, but isn't there some sort of language in the
standard automobile purchase agreement that car dealers use that
specifically states that *unless* it is written in the contract then
any verbal representations are disregarded, or soemthing to that
effect? It does get complicated, I would think, because what are the
damages? It may have been a cosmetic touch up of a scratch. Is a
minor fender repair a material fact that affects the cars value?

Unless I misread the original post, the idea of paying $2k less for a
used, 2+ year old car with an unknown history over the price of a new
one was where the mistake was made. Mistakes can be painful learning
experiences. It is true that buying certain late model "used" cars
can sometimes make no sense at all. When I was attempting to locate a
relatively recent Honda for my son, who had gotten his license, I
learned that lesson. The price of cars with uncertain histories,
coming out of "programs" with most of the mileage warranty used up
were on the market at almost new car prices. I don't get it.

As the philosophers Click and Clack often say, "it's the stingy man
who spends the most."