Snow tires on a Saturn???

Old December 30th 04, 02:19 PM
Paul

I have never thought about that but it does make logical sense. You're
probably right! I have been doing this for the past 6 to 7 years. I
thought being the front heavy as most front wheel driver vehicle are and
most of the breaking power (~60%) are in front so stopping distance would
improve and I can tell the difference. The fact that back wheel will spin
around is logical only when you turn. I agree 4 wheel winter tires are
better than 2 and I still think 2 is still better than none base on my
winter exposure. I guess having 4 wheel ABS on the car make a difference in
controlling the car during braking.

"Roy" <crawroy @ nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
> And as sombody pointed out in another thread on tires having grip in the
> front and less in the back can cause the back end to come around during
> braking or on sharp corners. I would definately suggest all four if you

can
> afford it, if not then maybe shop for 4 used winter tires. They may not

have

Old December 31st 04, 02:56 PM
Gerald Haas

Dick,

I live in the Cleveland area, we get 2-5 bad snow falls a year and lots of
lesser ones. Keep in mind on that most winter days the roads are clear and
dry.

I put 4 snow tires on my Saturns. This costs $400-600 dollars if you buy an
extra set of 4 steel wheels, which is what I did.

I recommend you spend lots of time at the Tire rack site.

If I remember correctly, they say that snow tires give you something like a
20% advantage over regular tires. (Check me on that.) But my point is, for
lots of people the extra expense may not be worth it in Cleveland. I view it
like insurance. $500 worth of tires might save me a tow charge or my life!

I do not recommend the generic wheels that Tire Rack or Discount Tire will
sell you. They are "Lug centric", the wheel does not center itself on the
spindle. This caused me vibrations at speed. I went to Blackburns in
Macedonia and got used "hub centric" wheels. Even though they were used,
the wheels were truly round and I had no vibrations.

Hope this helps.

Jerry

Old January 21st 05, 12:44 PM
George Wilson

i dont like snow tires but i dont live in cleavland either but i did
try out a tire by Bridgestone called Blizak, i got to drive it on an
ice rink. it worked awesome and there was no spikes to it, just all
rubber. i made a 90 degree turn doing about 15 miles and hour, like i
was on dry pavement. now this was in a toyota rav 4 but you should
check the bridgestone website to see about smaller saturn
sizes.\\195.135.221.132
On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 08:36:58 -0500, "Dick Snyder"

Snow tire question Eric Mark Saturn 10 December 12th 04 08:02 PM
FS: Saturn Winter Tires and Wheels (Toronto) Kelly Saturn 0 December 7th 04 12:58 AM
Snow Tires for a '98 740iL Rob Kos BMW 2 November 1st 04 02:50 PM
Snow tires for winter? Arghon Arghowijctz Corvette 0 October 6th 04 02:43 PM
Saturn Lemons- epidemic flaws, engine cracks, ball joints misterfact Antique cars 0 January 6th 04 06:04 PM