94 SW2 Oil eater

Old May 1st 06, 02:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default 94 SW2 Oil eater

> With respect, I do not understand this attitude. If you wait for an oil
> pressure gauge (which few cars have) to warn you of low oil it will

already
> be too late. Low oil pressure indicator lights are even worse and can
> usually be called the reach for your wallet light. The low oil light

means
> STOP RIGHT NOW, do not drive home, do not find a gas station, do not wait

> check in the morning, and 'do not pass go'.

Reminds me of an old "Home Improvement" episode -

Tim: "I just don't understand....the engine is seized! It's got no oil!!
Didn't the oil light come on?!?!"

Jill: "yes"

Tim: "Yes?!?! And you didn't stop?!?!?"

Jill: "Well, I thought the light would get brighter if it reeeeally
needed it".

Old May 2nd 06, 03:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

I currently own 2 Saturns, and have been an owner for more than 12 years.
I've been through more than one engine, and have seen others in my car club
suffer oil-related failures and have to say this.

If you run at all below the full mark, ANYTIME, you are asking for it.
S-Series engines have proven over the years to be very touchy when it comes
to oil. They like it full, and they like it changed at the 3000 mile mark.
An owner is free to disregard either or both of those. But if you do, you
are shortening the life of your motor. Guaranteed. While it won't break
instantly by running a quart low, you are using up your small margin of
safety. From one Saturn owner to many others, I urge everyone to please get
in the habit of checking their oil and keeping it at the full mark.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]
---
Visit my Saturn Car Audio and Performance Page at http://www.evilplastic.com

"SnoMan" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 01 May 2006 01:53:57 GMT, "Bob Shuman"
> > wrote:
>
> >If you wait for the Saturn to be down to the add mark, then it will take

> >full quart. At that point, the oil in the crankcase is down by 25% of

its

Old May 4th 06, 01:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Hi YMMV,
Well said and it's nice to hear a pilots take on autos. I keep a quart
in the SW2 all the time. Love my 94 and replaced the motor when I
replaced the trans from 6th Planet Auto Parts in Florida. They sell
only used Saturn parts. Hope this one lasts longer than the 160k on my
old one. Still love my wagon but being Saturn doesn't have any more
I'll probably buy something else when it's time.
Thanks again Linda

Old May 4th 06, 03:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

"Linda" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi YMMV,
> Well said and it's nice to hear a pilots take on autos. I keep a quart
> in the SW2 all the time. Love my 94 and replaced the motor when I
> replaced the trans from 6th Planet Auto Parts in Florida. They sell
> only used Saturn parts. Hope this one lasts longer than the 160k on my
> old one. Still love my wagon but being Saturn doesn't have any more
> I'll probably buy something else when it's time.
> Thanks again Linda

I am also a big believer in the mini SW body type. When combined with a
good roof rack they allow tremendous utility and great fuel economy. I have
even slept in mine, and seldom have a reason to put the rear seat back up.
If Saturn had continued to produce the S1 series wagons I would have
purchased another new one but now I guess I will have to just make do with
what I have, hopefully for another ten years or more. By that time there
will be a whole new generation of cars to choose from. I think it is sad
that GM has abandoned the economical SW in favor of gas hog SUVs and plain
sedans with no cargo space.

Good luck with yours, YMMV

Old May 4th 06, 01:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

"Linda" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi YMMV,
> Well said and it's nice to hear a pilots take on autos. I keep a quart
> in the SW2 all the time. Love my 94 and replaced the motor when I
> replaced the trans from 6th Planet Auto Parts in Florida. They sell
> only used Saturn parts. Hope this one lasts longer than the 160k on my
> old one. Still love my wagon but being Saturn doesn't have any more
> I'll probably buy something else when it's time.
> Thanks again Linda

Just as a point of reference, "YMMV" is an acronym for "Your Mileage May
Vary."