Snow tires on a Saturn???

Old December 26th 04, 01:00 AM
Napalm Heart

I live in Michigan and put a set of Dunlop Graspics on my son's
Saturn. He loves them. Cleveland gets tons of snow. If you can
afford it, a set of winter tires would go a long way to keeping her
safer. I got excellent service from Tirerack. 4 tires and rims
mounted and balanced, and delivered to our door for just over $470.

Ken

"Lane" > wrote in message
> > Good quality all-season radials will do just fine.

> And real snow tires will do even better.
>
> I've been running Blizzaks on my '94 SC2 in the winter for years

(live in
> WI). Can't imagine how I ever went without them.
>
> Tire Rack has a section where their customers can review tires and

post

http://www.evilplastic.com

> "Peter Young" > wrote in message
> > "Dick Snyder" > wrote in message

> > > My daughter has a 1993 Saturn SL2. She has just moved to

Cleveland from
> > > California. I'm sure this newsgroup has posted articles from

time to
> time
> > > about the advisability of snow tires on a Saturn but I can't

find any
> just
> > > now or anything very good with a Google search. A search of the

tire
> rack
> > > website was nice but they are in the business of selling tires

after
> all.
> > > Can anyone here recommend a good resource that can answer the

question
> or at
> > > least give some good information about whether or not it would

be

Old December 26th 04, 01:26 AM
Dick Snyder

Salt
pepper
soy & teriyaki
minced ginger, etc.
1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in a little cold water
1 egg beaten

Make the stuffing:
Marinate the flesh in a mixture of soy and teriyaki sauces
then stir fry in hot oil for till brown - about 1 minute, remove.
Stir-fry the vegetables.
Put the meat back into the wok and adjust the seasoning.
De-glaze with sherry, cooking off the alcohol.
Add broth (optional) cook a few more minutes.
Add the cornstarch, cook a few minutes till thick,
then place the stuffing into a colander and cool;
2 hours
Wrap the rolls:
Place 3 tablespoons of stuffing in the wrap, roll tightly -
corner nearest you first, fold 2 side corners in,
wrap till remaining corner is left.
Brush with egg, seal, and allow to sit on the seal for
a few minutes.
Fry the rolls:
325° if using egg roll wraps, 350° for spring roll wraps.
Deep fry in peanut oil till crispy golden brown, drain on paper towels.

Old December 26th 04, 05:50 AM
Roy

My girlfriend had brand new all seasons on her 98 SL1 and on my SL1 I had 2
year old winter tires with 40,000 km on them. She got stuck in her driveway
and after another 3 inches of snow I drove out to pick her up. The next day
we went to get her some snow tires too. I would most definitely recommend
snow tires to anyone who could afford them (maybe even if you couldn't).

Old December 27th 04, 05:00 AM
Peter Young

"Lane" > wrote in message ...
> > Good quality all-season radials will do just fine.

> And real snow tires will do even better.
>
> I've been running Blizzaks on my '94 SC2 in the winter for years (live in
> WI). Can't imagine how I ever went without them.

That surprises me. I've lived all my life in Minnesota and have never had trouble getting around - especially in a FWD
car. My 98 SL2 was fantastic in the snow using the stock radials.

In an urban area like Cleveland, the streets are maintained and there shouldn't be an issue. The most important thing is
knowing how to drive on snow and ice. If you don't, it doesn't matter what kind of (legal) tire you buy.

> Tire Rack has a section where their customers can review tires and post
> their opinions. I found it very helpful in the past.

Agreed.

-Pete

Old December 28th 04, 12:14 AM
Kevin M. Keller

Blah blah > typed until their fingers bled, and came up with:

> Only thing I know off hand that can drive on ice is a zamboni.

which is nothing but a HD GM truck frame with good snow tires. they drive
slow enough that it isn't a problem. They drive other cars on the ice
inbetween periods for promotions - as long as you keep the speeds to just
above a crawl, you're fine on an ice rink.

--
Visit the Saturn Performance Club - http://www.saturnperformanceclub.com
Old December 29th 04, 09:47 AM
Paul

If you can afford snow tires than I would recommend you to 2 of get them for
the front. It can only improve your traction and safety. All season tire
tread compound are not the same as snow tire especially under freezing
condition. You can quickly loose control on highway without time to react.
Sure front wheel drive care is an improvement over rear wheel drive car but
front wheel drive car with snow tire is added extra security. All wheel
drive vehicle like Subaru even better. Now in Cleveland is much diff. than
Canada where our temperature can drop below 0F plus heavy snow, snow-drift
over the highway, local roads (except main street) is always covered with
snow and ice. Driving with all season tire you will get stuck in just few
inches of snow like this poster said.

Old December 29th 04, 01:50 PM

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 04:47:01 -0500, "Paul" > wrote:

>If you can afford snow tires than I would recommend you to 2 of get them for
>the front. It can only improve your traction and safety. All season tire

Does having two radically different tires effect the handling, or safe
stopping?

>tread compound are not the same as snow tire especially under freezing
>condition. You can quickly loose control on highway without time to react.
>Sure front wheel drive care is an improvement over rear wheel drive car but
>front wheel drive car with snow tire is added extra security. All wheel
>drive vehicle like Subaru even better. Now in Cleveland is much diff. than
>Canada where our temperature can drop below 0F plus heavy snow, snow-drift
>over the highway, local roads (except main street) is always covered with
>snow and ice. Driving with all season tire you will get stuck in just few
>inches of snow like this poster said.
>
>"Roy" <crawroy @ nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
>> My girlfriend had brand new all seasons on her 98 SL1 and on my SL1 I had

>2
>> year old winter tires with 40,000 km on them. She got stuck in her

>driveway
>> and after another 3 inches of snow I drove out to pick her up. The next

>day
>> we went to get her some snow tires too. I would most definitely recommend
>> snow tires to anyone who could afford them (maybe even if you couldn't).
>>
>> "Dick Snyder" > wrote in message
>> > My daughter has a 1993 Saturn SL2. She has just moved to Cleveland from
>> > California. I'm sure this newsgroup has posted articles from time to

>time
>> > about the advisability of snow tires on a Saturn but I can't find any

>just
>> > now or anything very good with a Google search. A search of the tire

>rack
>> > website was nice but they are in the business of selling tires after

>all.
>> > Can anyone here recommend a good resource that can answer the question

>or
>> > at least give some good information about whether or not it would be
>> > advisable for her to buy snow tires?
>> >
>> > TIA.
>> >
>> > Dick Snyder

thanks,

tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com

Old December 29th 04, 02:06 PM
Napalm Heart

You really should run snow tires on all for wheels due to the
difference in handling characteristics. Quite possibly the snow tires
will be of a different size than the other tires.

Old December 29th 04, 03:55 PM
Roy

And as sombody pointed out in another thread on tires having grip in the
front and less in the back can cause the back end to come around during
braking or on sharp corners. I would definately suggest all four if you can
afford it, if not then maybe shop for 4 used winter tires. They may not have
all the tread but at least they should be a softer compound and grip a
little better on the packed snow.

Snow tire question Eric Mark Saturn 10 December 12th 04 08:02 PM
FS: Saturn Winter Tires and Wheels (Toronto) Kelly Saturn 0 December 7th 04 12:58 AM
Snow Tires for a '98 740iL Rob Kos BMW 2 November 1st 04 02:50 PM
Snow tires for winter? Arghon Arghowijctz Corvette 0 October 6th 04 02:43 PM
Saturn Lemons- epidemic flaws, engine cracks, ball joints misterfact Antique cars 0 January 6th 04 06:04 PM