Ion - dissapointing

Old March 21st 05, 03:17 AM
Mike

Default Ion - dissapointing

Checked out the new Ion's this week. The car was ok. They were not
especially striking or loaded with features for 15-18k. But, NONE of the
cars on the lot had anti-lock brakes. The salesman gave me some cock and
bull story about how the ion has 50% of the weight on the front and back so
you don't need anti lock......sheeeezeee!

The other thing that ticked me off was that the dealer had the old paint job
sealant scam on every can on the lot. $600 for something that is = to
waxing your card a couple times a year.

I guess I'll have to get the A/C fixed on my old 92 SC. 145K and still
going strong... except the compressor is dead. 2nd one too. This time I'll
have to do compressor, expansion valve, drier and convert it to 134.

Thoughts on the A/C job?

Old March 21st 05, 03:30 AM
Rich Soucie

my dealer has an 04' quad coupe with 100 miles on it its blue has all the
options including abs and traction control. has aftermarket 16 inch rims
with low profile tires. factory ground effects kit. and they want 17,600 for
it the origional price is 23,000 but they are tryin to get rid of it. im
thinkin about tradin my ion 2 in for it

Old March 21st 05, 03:42 AM
blah blah

> I guess I'll have to get the A/C fixed on my old 92 SC. 145K and still
> going strong... except the compressor is dead. 2nd one too. This time I'll
> have to do compressor, expansion valve, drier and convert it to 134.
>

> Thoughts on the A/C job?

Install a filter before and after the compressor. Not sure how your last
service was done but if you had r12 and r134 mixed or the wrong types of
oil mixed it can cause a compressor failure. Have it the evap and
condensor flushed out and do as you mentioned above and you should be
fine.
Old March 21st 05, 01:39 PM
marx404

Sounds like you got stuck with a real winner for a salesman, he should be
working for dodge, lol. The ION does have a 60-40 split weight balance, but
that does NOT replace ABS nor TC which ARE available on level 2 and level 3
IONs.

Either that salesman didnt know his keister from his head or they were out
of such cars, either case he was mis-informed.

Also, different dealers offer different variations of the "Protection
Package", which varies from just a box of expensive wax to an actual
warranty on the paint and interior materials beyond the factory warranty.

The best bet is an upper level ION.2 which is hard to find, but many dealers
have them. You can get all the features of a level 3 for less, including TC
and ABS (which are always packaged together).

marx404

Old March 21st 05, 05:00 PM
The Real Tom

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 03:17:31 GMT, "Mike" >
wrote:

>Checked out the new Ion's this week. The car was ok. They were not
>especially striking or loaded with features for 15-18k. But, NONE of the
>cars on the lot had anti-lock brakes. The salesman gave me some cock and
>bull story about how the ion has 50% of the weight on the front and back so
>you don't need anti lock......sheeeezeee!

Yeah you are rights, sheeeeezeeee. The 50/50 is at rest.

Now I'm not a an ABS fan, infact I don't look for it cause it
lengthens the stopping distance, but being customer who wants it, you
have teh final say.

I have to say Saturn goofed going to the ion, when they finally got
the SL right. :-P

>The other thing that ticked me off was that the dealer had the old paint job
>sealant scam on every can on the lot. $600 for something that is = to
>waxing your card a couple times a year.

Take your money else where.

>I guess I'll have to get the A/C fixed on my old 92 SC. 145K and still
>going strong... except the compressor is dead. 2nd one too. This time I'll
>have to do compressor, expansion valve, drier and convert it to 134.

Tip, if a ever compressor fails, have your system flushe, orifice
replaced and inline filters. Compressors fail and sent foriegn
particles in the system, that crap out new ones. Some people don't
flush, since it's money having you come back a year later. So I've
heard!

>Thoughts on the A/C job?

Yeah, what failed?

later,

tom @ www.ChopURL.com

Old March 21st 05, 05:20 PM
blah blah

> I have to say Saturn goofed going to the ion, when they finally got
> the SL right. :-P

Yes if the had just stuck with that design and put the Ecotec in it, it
would have been a excellent car.
Old March 21st 05, 09:00 PM
Ron Herfurth

"marx404" > wrote in message
> Sounds like you got stuck with a real winner for a salesman, he should be
> working for dodge, lol. The ION does have a 60-40 split weight balance,

but
> that does NOT replace ABS nor TC which ARE available on level 2 and level

3
> IONs.
>
> Either that salesman didnt know his keister from his head or they were out
> of such cars, either case he was mis-informed.
>
> Also, different dealers offer different variations of the "Protection
> Package", which varies from just a box of expensive wax to an actual
> warranty on the paint and interior materials beyond the factory warranty.
>
> The best bet is an upper level ION.2 which is hard to find, but many

dealers
> have them. You can get all the features of a level 3 for less, including

TC
> and ABS (which are always packaged together).
>
> marx404

Has anyone ever ordered a Saturn rather than buying off the lot? I would
think that would be safer with a fixed price car than a regular dealer that
could jack up the price after you dropped a deposit on a car you wouldn't
see for a while.

ron
94 SL1

Old March 22nd 05, 03:27 AM
Mike

No, last compressor replacement I was able to stick with R12. This time it
will have to be flushed and changed to R134.

Still on the fence as far as fixing my beloved old SC or getting a car made
in this millennium.

Old March 22nd 05, 03:30 AM
Mike

I ordered my SC in 92. I got every thing but the sun roof and leather
seats.

Power windows, locks, cd player, cruise control, abs, air bag were all
options.

Old March 22nd 05, 03:35 AM
Mike

It was disappointing to have a salesman giving me that kind of crap.
Especially with a company that gives you a "different" experience.

The last 3 cars I bought, 95 camro Z28, 98 venture van (totaled), 2000
ventrure van, I just went in with the factory invoice and said: this is what
I'll pay, is that good with you? If so, we can proceed.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 92 SC. Saturn had a real winner with the
SC's. It is amazing how many I still see on the road today. Its just
something about the ION I can't put my finger on that doesn't grab me.