Reliability of a high mileage 1998 Saturn? Any good? Should I buy?

Old July 31st 05, 06:32 PM
xnews user

Default Reliability of a high mileage 1998 Saturn? Any good? Should I buy?

Hi all,

I've been looking for a reliable low cost 2nd car... I had mainly been
looking at early-mid 90's Honda's & Toyota's since that put me in the range
of money I wanted to spend and they have a reputation for running to high
miles.

Recently though, I came across a 1998 Saturn SL2 for a good price... it
has 107k miles - it's the automatic sedan with traction contol.

How many miles could one expect this to run relatively trouble free for? I
know no one can say for sure, but I'm just looking to see if generally they
become money pits at high miles, or if they can be counted on to keep on
ticking with little more than regular oil changes, etc.

Thanks!
Old July 31st 05, 08:13 PM
Mark Carroll

In article <JW7He.1217$%a2.703@trndny03>, xnews user > wrote:
(snip)
>Recently though, I came across a 1998 Saturn SL2 for a good price... it
>has 107k miles - it's the automatic sedan with traction contol.
>
>How many miles could one expect this to run relatively trouble free for? I

(snip)

I don't know, but for what little it's worth, we bought our 1998
Saturn SW2 stick-shift wagon at 74k. It's certainly into the 80's now
and our regular garage tell us that it's in good shape.

-- Mark
Old July 31st 05, 08:52 PM
autotechgirl

we have a 94 SL2, automatic with traction control....my son is still
driving it with 165K and loves it. Recently had to put some tie rod ends
in it but other than that, change the oil every 3K and replace
tires/muffler/brakes as needed.

Old August 4th 05, 01:32 AM
Ratbert

xnews user wrote:
> Recently though, I came across a 1998 Saturn SL2 for a good price... it
> has 107k miles - it's the automatic sedan with traction contol.
>
> How many miles could one expect this to run relatively trouble free for? I
> know no one can say for sure, but I'm just looking to see if generally they
> become money pits at high miles, or if they can be counted on to keep on
> ticking with little more than regular oil changes, etc.

That's almost a spitting image of what's in our garage now. I have seen
no indication that it's going to die any time soon. I expect another
50-100k miles out of it.
Old August 4th 05, 09:19 AM

My 95 SL2 has 108K, just had a tune up and runs great. It's a manual, so I
can't vouch for the tranny. I'm thinking it best get it in to have the
timing belt changed, since it is original

If it has a sunroof, don't forget to clean out the drain lines. A baby
aspirator and hot water with a little soap works for me.

lkaboutautos.com...

Old August 4th 05, 02:48 PM
Bob Shuman

We have owned a 1996 SL1 for just over 2 years. It's been driven by my son
who has put about 25K miles or so on it in that time period. I did
everything to it with regard to preventive maintenance I could when we got
it (tune up, plugs, wires, oil, filter, trans filter, fluid, air filter, gas
filter, PCV, cleaned the throttle body, replaced front & rear brakes, etc.

Since then, we have replaced the EGR valve, a muffler, the 4 tires, and
added a can of Freon for the AC. There have been no other expenses at all
other than fuel and insurance. It still runs great today and has been a
very reliable and cost efficient vehicle.

Bob

Old August 4th 05, 04:59 PM
Jimbo Jones

High mileage......107,000 miles.....?????

It amazes me how most consumers are still stuck in the pre-1985 mentality
that cars are high mileage at 100,000 miles.

I go to auto auctions regularly. ( I hold a dealers license, more as a hobby
than a business.) Anyhow, I see true high mileage Saturns ie 180,000 miles
plus go through that I'd drive anywhere. I saw a '93 yesterday with 245,000
miles.

In fact, when I see consumers and dealers paying what I consider ridiculous
prices for high mileage toyotas and hondas (triple what a comparable saturn
can be bought for) I'm considering buying and selling nothing but saturns
and selling them exclusively. Reasoning, I can buy an historically reliable
car cheap, add a reasonable profit and still sell it cheap. After all, the
people who need a reliable car the most are the ones who can afford it the
least.

Same is, was true for the Chevy Nova / Geo Prizm. Same car as the toyota
corolla but if I saw two comparable go through the auction the toyota sells
for $1,500 more....???

Last but not least........Changing your oil every 3,000 miles....??? Your
being manipulated by the "oil change industry" and pre-1985 supposition of
cars and lubricants. Read your owners manual. 6,000 miles between oil
changes is fine.

I don't expect to sell anybody here a car :-) but if your curious here's my
website: www.webuycars.biz

Old August 6th 05, 05:59 AM
john c

Timing chain?

I'm looking at the picture in a Haynes book

Old August 6th 05, 02:41 PM
Bob Shuman

Yes, it has a chain.

"john c" > wrote in message
> Timing chain?
>
> I'm looking at the picture in a Haynes book

High Mileage VW Bug Mileage Paul Regal VW air cooled 51 April 5th 05 07:36 AM
Failed Smog Check 1981 Trans AM TheSmogTech Technology 0 January 30th 05 04:16 PM
Integra Emissions Failure Dkakd Honda 13 November 8th 04 09:14 AM
High Milers, how many miles on your Saturn? Newsguy Saturn 15 October 4th 04 07:13 AM
99 Saturn SL- went through high water, won't start Weasel Saturn 0 September 8th 04 07:27 PM