SW2 - Trouble inserting key in ignition

Old October 11th 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
SnoMan

Default SW2 - Trouble inserting key in ignition

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 21:11:16 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

>Graphite is a dry powder. It doesn't -- can't -- gum anything up.

Yes it can because the plunger had a bit of grease on it from factory
as did key cylinder end and the graphite combined with it and goo'ed
it just enough for plunger to stick because it has a low force spring
on it. Unless you are sure that lock is "dry" it is not wise to use it
sometimes as I found out first hand.
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old October 11th 06, 10:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Roy[_1_]

Doesn't matter which one he is blamiung, he pointed out that if there is
grease in there and graphite is added it may cause problems. To me graphite
seems like a temporary fix where a new key cylinder would be more of a long
term thing.
Seems to be a weak point on the S series to me. I know three other people
personally with keys that are hard to get in and/or turn with S series cars.
I've owned 14 cars of a variety of brands (most older than my SL1) and have
never had any key problems until this one.
om...

Old October 11th 06, 12:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
SnoMan

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 09:07:48 GMT, "Roy" <crawroy @ nbnet.nb.ca>
wrote:

>Seems to be a weak point on the S series to me. I know three other people
>personally with keys that are hard to get in and/or turn with S series cars.
>I've owned 14 cars of a variety of brands (most older than my SL1) and have
>never had any key problems until this one.

I found out that Saturn used at least 3 cylinder styles in that car.
The original 7 tumbler one, a upgraded 7 tumbler one that was a
service replacement for the original one (not sure when this came out)
and a 9 tumbler one. The 9 tumbler version came out in mid 97 so a 97
can have either one. The housing changed too for new 9 tumbler version
but the upgraded 7 tumbler version retrofits into old style housing. I
do not know if the 9 tumbler version was improved or not at a later
date because it did not apply to my car anyway. One more thing, GM
mounts the housing with break away bolts (heads break off) so if you
have to replaced the housing it can be a pain getting the bolts out
even when starting them with a chisel because they can have loctite on
them too. Also when you replace a cylinder, you get a tumbler kit so
you can easily code it to your old key.
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old October 11th 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Lane

> Seems to be a weak point on the S series to me. I know three other people
> personally with keys that are hard to get in and/or turn with S series
> cars.

Personally, I think some people are contributors to this. The key and
cylinder will wear more if your keychain contains tons of keys and a big
mess of extra crap on it (why do I often see women with HUGE keychains?).
Especially as it dangles, swings around, and gets hit by your knees all the
time.

Graphite may help, if that grease doesn't get in the way, but a better
long-term solution is replacement of the cylinder. The original poster
pointed out that it was the little metal flap/cover thingy only - but it's a
part of that cylinder and the mechanisms all work together. I've had mine
refuse to turn once, and when you're away from home or on the road
somewhere - complete failure of it would seriously suck. It's not difficult
and it's not expensive, so just replace it.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]
---
Visit my Saturn Car Audio and Performance Page at http://www.evilplastic.com

Old October 11th 06, 11:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
SnoMan

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 17:00:08 -0500, "Lane"
> wrote:

>Personally, I think some people are contributors to this. The key and
>cylinder will wear more if your keychain contains tons of keys and a big
>mess of extra crap on it (why do I often see women with HUGE keychains?).
>Especially as it dangles, swings around, and gets hit by your knees all the
>time.

Interesting theory. It may indeed have some merit.
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old October 12th 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
BläBlä[_2_]

In article >,
says...

> Personally, I think some people are contributors to this. The key and
> cylinder will wear more if your keychain contains tons of keys and a big
> mess of extra crap on it (why do I often see women with HUGE keychains?).
> Especially as it dangles, swings around, and gets hit by your knees all the
> time.
>
> Graphite may help, if that grease doesn't get in the way, but a better
> long-term solution is replacement of the cylinder. The original poster
> pointed out that it was the little metal flap/cover thingy only - but it's a
> part of that cylinder and the mechanisms all work together. I've had mine
> refuse to turn once, and when you're away from home or on the road
> somewhere - complete failure of it would seriously suck. It's not difficult
> and it's not expensive, so just replace it.
>
> Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]
> ---
> Visit my Saturn Car Audio and Performance Page at
http://www.evilplastic.com

Agreed on the gobs of keys. Stuffed animals and photos on the instrument
panal blocking idiot lights and gages are another problem I see... Oh
and crap hanging from the rearview mirror... And who is the frig'n moron
that keeps tacking on all of the damn Re's!!!

Retard:
Old October 12th 06, 10:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
NapalmHeart

"BläBlä" . S!RCRE4P.C0M>
wrote in message ...
> In article >,
> says...
>
>> Personally, I think some people are contributors to this. The key and
>> cylinder will wear more if your keychain contains tons of keys and a big
>> mess of extra crap on it (why do I often see women with HUGE keychains?).
>> Especially as it dangles, swings around, and gets hit by your knees all
>> the
>> time.
>>
>> Graphite may help, if that grease doesn't get in the way, but a better
>> long-term solution is replacement of the cylinder. The original poster
>> pointed out that it was the little metal flap/cover thingy only - but
>> it's a
>> part of that cylinder and the mechanisms all work together. I've had
>> mine
>> refuse to turn once, and when you're away from home or on the road
>> somewhere - complete failure of it would seriously suck. It's not
>> difficult
>> and it's not expensive, so just replace it.
>>
>> Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]
>> ---
>> Visit my Saturn Car Audio and Performance Page at

http://www.evilplastic.com

> Agreed on the gobs of keys. Stuffed animals and photos on the instrument
> panal blocking idiot lights and gages are another problem I see... Oh
> and crap hanging from the rearview mirror... And who is the frig'n moron
> that keeps tacking on all of the damn Re's!!!
>

> Retard:

Lane gives good advice. Damn good.

Ken

Old October 12th 06, 01:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
[email protected]

NapalmHeart wrote:
> "BläBlä" . S!RCRE4P.C0M>
> wrote in message ...
> > In article >,
> > says...
> >
> >> Personally, I think some people are contributors to this. The key and
> >> cylin

> Ken

AWA [OFFER] ignition cable set, spark plug cable [email protected] General 0 March 14th 06 11:52 AM
Ignition problems chrisg Technology 0 January 1st 06 11:39 PM
I am having trouble replacing the Ignition switch in my 71SB carl overton via CarKB.com VW air cooled 5 April 10th 05 02:51 AM
How to basicially read OBDll Standardized Diagnostic Trouble codes Steve Honda 0 March 20th 05 06:00 AM
Ion intermittent ignition switch problem ELY Saturn 3 August 14th 04 03:18 AM