Toyata Avalon Wiper Blades

Old June 10th 11, 04:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
MLD

Default Toyata Avalon Wiper Blades

Have a 2008 Avalon and looking at the (OEM) wiper blades I don't see any
easy way of replacing just the rubber inserts. Scouted around the web for
info and everything seems to point to replacing the whole wiper blade. Am I
missing something? Got a link that shows how it's done?
MLD

Old June 10th 11, 06:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ED

"MLD" > wrote in message ...
> Have a 2008 Avalon and looking at the (OEM) wiper blades I don't see any
> easy way of replacing just the rubber inserts. Scouted around the web for
> info and everything seems to point to replacing the whole wiper blade. Am
> I missing something? Got a link that shows how it's done?
> MLD

Loo he
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...0&postcount=27

Old June 10th 11, 07:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"MLD" > wrote in message ...
> Have a 2008 Avalon and looking at the (OEM) wiper blades I don't see any
> easy way of replacing just the rubber inserts. Scouted around the web for
> info and everything seems to point to replacing the whole wiper blade. Am
> I missing something? Got a link that shows how it's done?
> MLD

I have replaced the wiper assemblies twice, never just the inserts. It just
isnt worth the difference in price to me.

Old June 10th 11, 08:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_4_]

MLD wrote:
> Have a 2008 Avalon and looking at the (OEM) wiper blades I don't see any
> easy way of replacing just the rubber inserts. Scouted around the web
> for info and everything seems to point to replacing the whole wiper
> blade. Am I missing something? Got a link that shows how it's done?
> MLD

If you can even find inserts they probably won't fit. Most newer blades
are not designed for them and the original rubber squeegee edges are odd
sized to prevent replacement.

--
Steve W.
Old June 13th 11, 03:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
m6onz5a

On Jun 10, 11:41*am, "MLD" > wrote:
> Have a 2008 Avalon and looking at the (OEM) wiper blades I don't see any
> easy way of replacing just the rubber inserts. *Scouted around the web for
> info and everything seems to point to replacing the whole wiper blade. *Am I
> missing something? Got a link that shows how it's done?
> MLD

No refills for those newer style wiper blades. Gotta bite the bullet
and buy a new blade.
Old June 14th 11, 12:57 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
hachiroku

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 17:11:04 -0500, hls wrote:

> "Tegger" > wrote in message
>> m6onz5a > wrote in news:212b1072-9708-47d2-a976-
>> :

>>> for
>>> Am I
>>>
>>> No refills for those newer style wiper blades. Gotta bite the bullet
>>> and buy a new blade.
>>>

>> That's untrue. Toyota sells the refills.
>>
>> I was going to post a reply based on the factory shop manual, but the
>> instructions are vague. The diagrams show a pair of tabs being depressed
>> with thumb and forefinger at the end of the blade, but you're obviously
>> supposed to have an example in front of you to make sense of what's being
>> conveyed by the diagram.
>>
>> --
>> Tegger

> I used to fiddle around with the rubber refills. On one occasion, they
> slipped, and my windshield became scored. My very ex wife did not
> think to stop at a service station.

That happened to me. THose things are a pain.

> The assemblies are not that expensive and they are dead simple to
> install on the Avalon.

Lift a tab...pull the old one...slip the new one and snap in place. Five
minutes. It took me about 20 to get the refills in. Each.

Old June 14th 11, 02:29 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

Hachiroku > wrote in
b.com:

> On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 17:11:04 -0500, hls wrote:
>

>> I used to fiddle around with the rubber refills. On one occasion,
>> they slipped, and my windshield became scored. My very ex wife did
>> not think to stop at a service station.

> That happened to me. THose things are a pain.
>

>> The assemblies are not that expensive and they are dead simple to
>> install on the Avalon.

> Lift a tab...pull the old one...slip the new one and snap in place.
> Five minutes. It took me about 20 to get the refills in. Each.

I've never had that trouble with any OEM Toyota refills I've ever
installed. Takes me maybe two minutes to install ecah one, tops.

The one-and-only time I ever had trouble was with an aftermarket refill
going into the OEM blade. The refill was just a teensy bit too short, and
once when I lifted one blade off the glass the end slipped out from between
the hooks. This meant the end-hooks were resting on the glass. It was
raining that day, and my very-poor hearing thought the subsequent noise was
the aftermarket rubber squeaking on the glass. I later picked up my wife,
who instantly said, "That's metal rubbing on the glass!". I immediately
found and fixed the problem, but when the rain stopped I had a massive
scratch in the glass. That was the last straw. Back to OEM for me. Forever.
Never aftermarket, ever again.

--
Tegger
Old June 14th 11, 03:21 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Tegger" > wrote in message I later picked up my wife,
> who instantly said, "That's metal rubbing on the glass!". I immediately
> found and fixed the problem, but when the rain stopped I had a massive
> scratch in the glass. That was the last straw. Back to OEM for me.
> Forever.
> Never aftermarket, ever again.
>
> --
> Tegger

My experience was similar, except that I probably had a dumber wife
than you, and I used whatever inserts the FLAPS had.
OEM doesnt mean crap to me. Some are good and some are GM
quality. I recently replaced the wipers on my Avalon, and the aftermarket
ones work fine.

Wife was exchanged for a better model.

wiper blades? Nate Nagel[_2_] Driving 4 November 14th 09 08:59 PM
Wiper Blades: Best ? Robert11[_3_] Technology 4 November 29th 08 04:08 PM
73 wiper blades? LeRoy Prosic VW air cooled 1 April 19th 06 01:36 PM
wiper blades Brian Foster Jeep 21 March 14th 06 04:28 PM
Wiper Blades Gary Mazda 16 January 14th 05 10:48 PM