What's wrong with my pony ??

Old June 21st 05, 03:10 PM
IsellJeeps

maybe the crank pos sensor

"Armon Tanzerian" > wrote in message
news:lEJte.26287$6o4.15446@fed1read04...
> So, the ole' nag has started dying for NO REASON ! which is real
> entertaining when the power steering goes out in a turn
>
> What happens is that it just DIES for no reason, like you turned off the

key

Old June 23rd 05, 01:42 AM
ironrod

No argument here.

"Backyard Mechanic" > wrote in message
58...
> "ironrod" > wrote in newsuQte.998564$w62.482369
> @bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:
>
> > I've had both a bad ignition module & faulty fuel pump give me those

very

Old June 23rd 05, 10:10 PM
Hooked 87

I second ignition module on the side of the distributer. You will need
a specal thin wall socket available at most Napa type stores.

One other quick test. Once it stalls while still rolling jiggle the
key without taking it out of the run positon. Outside chance its an
igintion switch.

Hooked

Old June 23rd 05, 11:38 PM
Armon Tanzerian

Yeah, I considered the ignition switch... especially since it's kinda
sloppy, BUT

when it dies the radio, and other electric accessories are still on. Also
when you TRY to start it it WON'T (usually) for a short time...

I'm leaning towards the ign mod or crank sensor, but I hate to replace
things on guesses! I've been driving the HECK out of it lately and it's
benn running PERFECT.

it MIGHT have something to do with the 100+ days. it's been cool-ish the
last couple days.

*shrug*

ps.com...

Old July 1st 05, 02:54 AM
RT

On 23 Jun 2005 14:10:48 -0700, "Hooked 87"
> wrote:

>I second ignition module on the side of the distributer. You will need
>a specal thin wall socket available at most Napa type stores.
>
>One other quick test. Once it stalls while still rolling jiggle the
>key without taking it out of the run positon. Outside chance its an
>igintion switch.
>
>Hooked

well, you're both wrong because... the 94 and 95 gt's don't have the
ignition module sitting ON the distributor anymore ! It's located
under the airfilter box and is likely okay.

My guess is it is the hall effect sensor. It will get worse quick up
tot the point where the car will only run for 30 seconds and die.

Old July 1st 05, 06:01 PM
Armon Tanzerian

"RT" > wrote in message
news
> On 23 Jun 2005 14:10:48 -0700, "Hooked 87"
> > wrote:
>
>>I second ignition module on the side of the distributer. You will need
>>a specal thin wall socket available at most Napa type stores.
>>
>>One other quick test. Once it stalls while still rolling jiggle the
>>key without taking it out of the run positon. Outside chance its an
>>igintion switch.
>>
>>Hooked

> well, you're both wrong because... the 94 and 95 gt's don't have the
> ignition module sitting ON the distributor anymore ! It's located
> under the airfilter box and is likely okay.
>
> My guess is it is the hall effect sensor. It will get worse quick up
> tot the point where the car will only run for 30 seconds and die.

Yeah, I was wondering about that... I didn't SEE any module on the side of
the distributor

Funny thing is since I changed the fuel filter, it died TWICE soon after,
but then has been running PERFECT. I've been driving it all over, and no
dieing, or starting problems in the last few weeks...

I'm sure it's waiting till I'm nice and FARRRRR away from home befor it acts
up again

Thanks for the suggestions.

Old July 2nd 05, 08:36 PM
Pieter

"" wrote:
> No.. so far it's happened 4 times.. always going STRAIGHT.
>
> I think the "tug test" has merit. but I've done some tugging
> with no obvious
> culprits so far.
>
> if it would JUST FAIL and stay failed, I could troubleshoot
> it! ! but just
> about the time I start to look, it starts right up ! ! !
>
> At the moment, the fuel IS less than 1/4 tank
> "JC" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > Armon Tanzerian wrote:
> >

>  >> So, the ole' nag has started dying for NO REASON !
> which is real
>  >> entertaining when the power steering goes out in a
> turn
>  >>
>  >> What happens is that it just DIES for no reason, like
> you turned off the
>  >> key ! ! .. It will start back up after it sets a
> minute. hasn't left me
>  >> stranded yet I DEFINITELY get the impression it's
> electrical, but it
>  >> doesn't stay "broken" long enough for me to diagnose
> it.
>  >>
>  >> Oh, BTW it has a new fuel filter, cap and rotor. It's
> a 94 5.0.
>  >>
>  >> any suggestions other than just swapping out parts
> till it goes away ?
>  >>
>  >> Thanks
>  >>
>  >>
> >

> > Does it only happen in a turn? Does it only happen on a

> rigth turn? Does
> > it happen when your fuel level is below 1/4 tank?
> >
> > Guess why I am asking LOL.
> >
> > If anyone has a clue, I would be very happy to have a

> direction for
> > looking for a cause.
> >
> > JC
> >
> > 91 5.0

If it happens during a turn the wiring harness could be getting
snagged on the steering column and as you turn it pulls on the
electrical connections. Had that problem on a Ford Saphire before. It
only happened when you turned to the right.

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Ford-Musta...ict125472.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=619848
Old July 4th 05, 01:05 AM
JC

Pieter wrote:

> If it happens during a turn the wiring harness could be getting
> snagged on the steering column and as you turn it pulls on the
> electrical connections. Had that problem on a Ford Saphire before. It
> only happened when you turned to the right.

It is only happening in a right turn or hard right curve.. but it is
also only happening when the fuel tank drops below 1/2 (for hard curves)
and 1/4 for true right turns when I dont come to a complete stop (like
going around a corner from one street to another). If I come to a
complete stop before making the turn, this doesn't happen.

When it does happen.. the car *chugs* like it is starved for fuel and is
getting air in the line. If the tank is approx. 1/2 full, then coming
out of the curve and re-entering a straight away at slow speed seems to
allow time for the fuel to begin flowing through the line again and the
car doesn't stall.

If the tank is under 1/4 full, then, invariably, the car will stall and
I will have to try to manouveur it to the side of the road and re-start
the car.

JC

94 Front Pony removal 4-2LGW Ford Mustang 3 March 21st 05 03:47 AM
whats wrong? gabriel Honda 7 February 11th 05 04:39 PM
VW Pony Car....Warning No Political Content Bill Berckman VW air cooled 1 October 22nd 04 12:29 PM
Nobody knows what is wrong with my 99 Dodge Avenger v6 LadyGelzer04 Dodge 14 May 22nd 04 04:13 AM