Headlight adjustment

Old June 6th 04, 04:46 PM
Toby Groves

Default Headlight adjustment

I'm in the UK and have a new shape A3.

I'm shortly going to be taking the car over to the continent, and thus
driving on the wrong side of the road

Now a long time back I heard that certain Audis had the ability to
adjust the headlights for driving on the left or right. Is this the
case with all Audis, and if so how can I find out how to do it?

It sounds unlikely tbh, but I was just hoping that there was an
adjustment knob/lever I could move rather than sticking tape or beam
benders on the headlight lenses.
--
Toby
Old June 6th 04, 10:25 PM
David Nesbitt

In article >,
Toby Groves > wrote:
>I'm in the UK and have a new shape A3.
>
>I'm shortly going to be taking the car over to the continent, and thus
>driving on the wrong side of the road
>
>Now a long time back I heard that certain Audis had the ability to
>adjust the headlights for driving on the left or right. Is this the
>case with all Audis, and if so how can I find out how to do it?
>
>It sounds unlikely tbh, but I was just hoping that there was an
>adjustment knob/lever I could move rather than sticking tape or beam
>benders on the headlight lenses.

I understand that it can be done for Xenon HID headlights but I've no
idea where the lever is hidden on the latest (8P) A3s. The handbook
states that the dealer can make the adjustment for you but, possibly,
you'd be charged a high fee at 80ukp per hour.

I don't think that the standard (filament bulb) headlights can be
adjusted in this way, BICBW.
--
David Nesbitt

N.B. Email sent to "nospam" will be rejected. Please use Reply-To address.
Old June 7th 04, 09:10 AM
Pete

"Toby Groves" > wrote in message
> I'm in the UK and have a new shape A3.
>
> I'm shortly going to be taking the car over to the continent, and thus
> driving on the wrong side of the road
>
> Now a long time back I heard that certain Audis had the ability to
> adjust the headlights for driving on the left or right. Is this the
> case with all Audis, and if so how can I find out how to do it?
>
> It sounds unlikely tbh, but I was just hoping that there was an
> adjustment knob/lever I could move rather than sticking tape or beam
> benders on the headlight lenses.

Well, you can adjust the height of the beam with the plastic adjustment
screws which should be visible at the top of the headlight housings once
you pop the hood. I'm guessing you'd want to lower your left headlight
beam so that it doesn't blind the oncoming traffic when you're driving
on the right side of the road.

But as far as flipping the asymmetric headlight pattern around, I don't
believe that's possible without actually replacing the headlight
housings for the ones that are used in the rest of Europe.

Cheers,

Pete

Old June 8th 04, 08:50 PM
Fred

You can do it on my 98 A6 non Xenon.

There is a lever which you get to by taking the headlight back cover off.
(As when changing a bulb) If you move it over a slider cuts off part of the
beam. (You can see it working if you do it in the dark with the beams
against wall).

I've used it on the continent and had no drivers flashing at me so it seems
to work!.