Locked seat belt retractor

Old April 18th 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Locked seat belt retractor

Hi All,

I am in the process of replacing the seat belt and retractor of my '96
Ford Taurus wagon (2nd row righthand side). The new unit just came in,
but it seems to be locked in the fully spooled up position. If I try to
unroll it, it clicks into the locked position (unsure whether it is the
'collision type' locking or the 'childseat type' ratchet locking).

Is there a trick to release the lock before installation? I tried
keeping it upright as suggested in some forums, that did not help. There
is a transparent window on one side of the housing that looks like it
can be pried off to then pull some widgets underneath. Is this indeed
how it should work? I'd rather not pry stuff open unless necessary...

Thanks!

Martijn
Old April 19th 06, 01:06 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Martijn van Duijn wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am in the process of replacing the seat belt and retractor of my '96
> Ford Taurus wagon (2nd row righthand side). The new unit just came in,
> but it seems to be locked in the fully spooled up position. If I try to
> unroll it, it clicks into the locked position (unsure whether it is the
> 'collision type' locking or the 'childseat type' ratchet locking).
>
> Is there a trick to release the lock before installation? I tried
> keeping it upright as suggested in some forums, that did not help. There
> is a transparent window on one side of the housing that looks like it
> can be pried off to then pull some widgets underneath. Is this indeed
> how it should work? I'd rather not pry stuff open unless necessary...
>
> Thanks!
>
> Martijn

That particular model I am not familiar with.
However, many are made to operate in a certain position.
i.e.: horizontal, vertical, etc.
There is an inertial weight that will engage the stop when out of position.
Old April 19th 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

you might check with the source from which the belt came - for an
answer.

otoh - you might install it and then try to "unroll" it, it might be
easier.

mho
vƒe

Old April 19th 06, 06:25 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

« Paul » wrote:
> Martijn van Duijn wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am in the process of replacing the seat belt and retractor of my '96
>> Ford Taurus wagon (2nd row righthand side). The new unit just came in,
>> but it seems to be locked in the fully spooled up position. If I try to
>> unroll it, it clicks into the locked position (unsure whether it is the
>> 'collision type' locking or the 'childseat type' ratchet locking).
>>
>> Is there a trick to release the lock before installation? I tried
>> keeping it upright as suggested in some forums, that did not help. There
>> is a transparent window on one side of the housing that looks like it
>> can be pried off to then pull some widgets underneath. Is this indeed
>> how it should work? I'd rather not pry stuff open unless necessary...
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Martijn

> That particular model I am not familiar with.
> However, many are made to operate in a certain position.
> i.e.: horizontal, vertical, etc.
> There is an inertial weight that will engage the stop when out of position.

Right on the money!

I had tested the assembly vertically, but it will eventually be mounted
under a ~30 degree forward angle. There is a 15 degree window around
that angle that it will work in, other angles lock up.

I will install the unit next weekend, but expect it will work out fine.

Thanks,

Martijn
Old April 20th 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Thanks for letting us know.
Paul.

Timing belt followup. B.B. Technology 6 April 2nd 06 06:39 AM
91 Civic: Seat belt noise Steve Honda 10 March 4th 06 07:01 AM
Defective seat belt buckles in US Honda Accord 1999 EX 4 Door Model Ashish Honda 3 January 10th 06 02:32 PM
Free seat belt extensions no more? Chris Chrysler 4 December 5th 05 10:00 PM
Seat belt top anchor point/tower [email protected] Mazda 0 September 24th 05 06:51 AM