still think this is the USA you remember?

Old July 31st 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

Default still think this is the USA you remember?

http://www.freemarketnews.com/WorldNews.asp?nid=17667

(via fark.com)

STUDENT BUSTED FOR TAKING COP PICTURES
Friday, July 28, 2006 - FreeMarketNews.com

A Penn State college senior was arrested after he pointed his camera cell
phone at police activity in his neighborhood. A Philadelphia NBC News
Channel 10 report says the family of Neftaly Cruz, 21, is claiming the
cops had "no right to come onto their property and arrest their
21-year-old son simply because he was using his cell phone's camera."

Cruz had heard a commotion outside his parents' home and walked out the
door to investigate it. When he saw the street lined with police, he
flipped his phone open to take a picture. Within moments, an officer came
to his back gate, put him into a police car, cuffed him and took him to
jail. According to a neighbor's report, the cop spoke only once during
this process, allegedly saying, "You should have just went [sic] in the
house and minded your own business instead of trying to take pictures off
your picture phone."

The charge against Cruz was based on a new law, allegedly prohibiting
people from taking pictures of police officers with cell phones. Cruz is
quoted as saying, "They threatened to charge me with conspiracy, impeding
an investigation, obstruction of a investigation..." Larry Frankel of the
local ACLU chapter, reportedly said, "There is no law that prevents
people from taking pictures of what anybody can see on the street,"
adding that, "it's rather scary that in this country you could actually
be taken down to police headquarters for taking a picture on your cell
phone of activities that are clearly visible on the street." - ST

Staff Reports - Free-Market News Network

Old July 31st 06, 06:27 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Floyd Rogers[_1_]

"Brent P" > wrote
> http://www.freemarketnews.com/WorldNews.asp?nid=17667
>
> STUDENT BUSTED FOR TAKING COP PICTURES
> Friday, July 28, 2006 - FreeMarketNews.com
> The charge against Cruz was based on a new law, allegedly prohibiting
> people from taking pictures of police officers with cell phones. Cruz is
> quoted as saying, "They threatened to charge me with conspiracy, impeding
> an investigation, obstruction of a investigation..." Larry Frankel of the
> local ACLU chapter, reportedly said, "There is no law that prevents
> people from taking pictures of what anybody can see on the street,"
> adding that, "it's rather scary that in this country you could actually
> be taken down to police headquarters for taking a picture on your cell
> phone of activities that are clearly visible on the street." - ST

My guess is that the law will be declared unconstitutional. Look at
http://www.rcfp.org/news/2004/1105johnso.html (or google "sequim
police video lawsuit"). A couple of caveats: 1) WA state has privacy
in it's constitution (which many states, esp. east coast) don't - that's the
"Privacy Act" that the police officer was complaining about, 2) the
9th Circuit (in San Francisco) is notoriously the most liberal circuit -
but that's actually good for the student's case.

FloydR

Old July 31st 06, 06:42 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, Floyd Rogers wrote:

> My guess is that the law will be declared unconstitutional. Look at
> http://www.rcfp.org/news/2004/1105johnso.html (or google "sequim
> police video lawsuit"). A couple of caveats: 1) WA state has privacy
> in it's constitution (which many states, esp. east coast) don't - that's the
> "Privacy Act" that the police officer was complaining about, 2) the
> 9th Circuit (in San Francisco) is notoriously the most liberal circuit -
> but that's actually good for the student's case.

Interesting link.... Cops feel they have an expectation of privacy in
plain sight, hearing, and smell but the people don't.

Old July 31st 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
gpsman

Brent P wrote: <brevity snip>
> http://www.freemarketnews.com/WorldNews.asp?nid=17667
>
> (via fark.com)
>
> STUDENT BUSTED FOR TAKING COP PICTURES
> Friday, July 28, 2006 - FreeMarketNews.com

Uh... in the USA I remember... the cop would get away with that.

In the USA you remember (the same one christian conservatives do, I
presume; the USA in "Leave It To Beaver", "Father Knows Best" and "My
Three Sons") I guess such things never occured.

In the USA I live in now the cop won't get away with it. And the cop
will be fired and possibly face criminal charges. And the photographer
will be well compensated for such infringement of his rights. If the
event actually occured. That remains to be seen.

But I understand your MO is to jump to a conclusion before the facts
are in.
-----

- gpsman

Old July 31st 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
N8N

gpsman wrote:
> Brent P wrote: <brevity snip>
> > http://www.freemarketnews.com/WorldNews.asp?nid=17667
> >
> > (via fark.com)
> >
> > STUDENT BUSTED FOR TAKING COP PICTURES
> > Friday, July 28, 2006 - FreeMarketNews.com

> Uh... in the USA I remember... the cop would get away with that.
>
> In the USA you remember (the same one christian conservatives do, I
> presume; the USA in "Leave It To Beaver", "Father Knows Best" and "My
> Three Sons") I guess such things never occured.
>
> In the USA I live in now the cop won't get away with it. And the cop
> will be fired and possibly face criminal charges. And the photographer
> will be well compensated for such infringement of his rights. If the
> event actually occured. That remains to be seen.
>
> But I understand your MO is to jump to a conclusion before the facts
> are in.

Perhaps not "The USA you remember" then. How about "the USA you were
taught about in Civics class" which is some perfectly Constitutional
ideal that has existed only for brief periods of time and in select
places, if at all, but is the ideal that we have sworn to defend.

nate

Old July 31st 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
John Gaquin

"N8N" > wrote in message

> ...... some perfectly Constitutional
> ideal that has existed only for brief periods of time and in select
> places, if at all, but is the ideal that we have sworn to defend.

Ah, there's the rub! So many processes and systems would work perfectly,
were it not for those pesky humans.

Old July 31st 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article om>, N8N wrote:

> gpsman wrote:
>> Brent P wrote: <brevity snip>
>> > http://www.freemarketnews.com/WorldNews.asp?nid=17667
>> >
>> > (via fark.com)
>> >
>> > STUDENT BUSTED FOR TAKING COP PICTURES
>> > Friday, July 28, 2006 - FreeMarketNews.com

>> Uh... in the USA I remember... the cop would get away with that.
>>
>> In the USA you remember (the same one christian conservatives do, I
>> presume; the USA in "Leave It To Beaver", "Father Knows Best" and "My
>> Three Sons") I guess such things never occured.
>>
>> In the USA I live in now the cop won't get away with it. And the cop
>> will be fired and possibly face criminal charges. And the photographer
>> will be well compensated for such infringement of his rights. If the
>> event actually occured. That remains to be seen.
>>
>> But I understand your MO is to jump to a conclusion before the facts
>> are in.

> Perhaps not "The USA you remember" then. How about "the USA you were
> taught about in Civics class" which is some perfectly Constitutional
> ideal that has existed only for brief periods of time and in select
> places, if at all, but is the ideal that we have sworn to defend.

I was only refering as back as far the early 1990s when it was
still legal to film cops on the street.... A time where inexpensive video
cameras and the right to use them out in public was going to help bring
an end to police abuse. To help protect our rights. Now the police
have the cameras out in public watching us and when a member of the
public watches back, that person gets arrested.

Old August 1st 06, 04:11 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
jaybird

"Brent P" > wrote in message
. ..

> http://www.freemarketnews.com/WorldNews.asp?nid=17667
>
> (via fark.com)
>
> STUDENT BUSTED FOR TAKING COP PICTURES
> Friday, July 28, 2006 - FreeMarketNews.com
>
> A Penn State college senior was arrested after he pointed his camera cell
> phone at police activity in his neighborhood. A Philadelphia NBC News
> Channel 10 report says the family of Neftaly Cruz, 21, is claiming the
> cops had "no right to come onto their property and arrest their
> 21-year-old son simply because he was using his cell phone's camera."
>
> Cruz had heard a commotion outside his parents' home and walked out the
> door to investigate it. When he saw the street lined with police, he
> flipped his phone open to take a picture. Within moments, an officer came
> to his back gate, put him into a police car, cuffed him and took him to
> jail. According to a neighbor's report, the cop spoke only once during
> this process, allegedly saying, "You should have just went [sic] in the
> house and minded your own business instead of trying to take pictures off
> your picture phone."
>
> The charge against Cruz was based on a new law, allegedly prohibiting
> people from taking pictures of police officers with cell phones. Cruz is
> quoted as saying, "They threatened to charge me with conspiracy, impeding
> an investigation, obstruction of a investigation..." Larry Frankel of the
> local ACLU chapter, reportedly said, "There is no law that prevents
> people from taking pictures of what anybody can see on the street,"
> adding that, "it's rather scary that in this country you could actually
> be taken down to police headquarters for taking a picture on your cell
> phone of activities that are clearly visible on the street." - ST

Oh come on Brent. I thought you were too smart to believe everything you
read. We already hashed this one out last week:

"Police told Hairston that they did take Cruz into to custody, but they said
Cruz was not on his property when they arrested him. Police also denied that
they told Cruz he was breaking the law with his cell phone. Cruz's famly
said it has filed a formal complaint with the police department's Internal
Affairs division and are requesting a complete investigation."

http://www.nbc10.com/news/9574663/detail.html

--
---
jaybird

"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of
evil men." - Edmund Burke

Old August 1st 06, 05:08 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, jaybird wrote:

> "Brent P" > wrote in message
> . ..
>>
>> http://www.freemarketnews.com/WorldNews.asp?nid=17667
>>
>> (via fark.com)
>>
>> STUDENT BUSTED FOR TAKING COP PICTURES
>> Friday, July 28, 2006 - FreeMarketNews.com
>>
>> A Penn State college senior was arrested after he pointed his camera cell
>> phone at police activity in his neighborhood. A Philadelphia NBC News
>> Channel 10 report says the family of Neftaly Cruz, 21, is claiming the
>> cops had "no right to come onto their property and arrest their
>> 21-year-old son simply because he was using his cell phone's camera."
>>
>> Cruz had heard a commotion outside his parents' home and walked out the
>> door to investigate it. When he saw the street lined with police, he
>> flipped his phone open to take a picture. Within moments, an officer came
>> to his back gate, put him into a police car, cuffed him and took him to
>> jail. According to a neighbor's report, the cop spoke only once during
>> this process, allegedly saying, "You should have just went [sic] in the
>> house and minded your own business instead of trying to take pictures off
>> your picture phone."
>>
>> The charge against Cruz was based on a new law, allegedly prohibiting
>> people from taking pictures of police officers with cell phones. Cruz is
>> quoted as saying, "They threatened to charge me with conspiracy, impeding
>> an investigation, obstruction of a investigation..." Larry Frankel of the
>> local ACLU chapter, reportedly said, "There is no law that prevents
>> people from taking pictures of what anybody can see on the street,"
>> adding that, "it's rather scary that in this country you could actually
>> be taken down to police headquarters for taking a picture on your cell
>> phone of activities that are clearly visible on the street." - ST

> Oh come on Brent. I thought you were too smart to believe everything you
> read. We already hashed this one out last week:
>

> "Police told Hairston that they did take Cruz into to custody, but they said
> Cruz was not on his property when they arrested him. Police also denied that
> they told Cruz he was breaking the law with his cell phone. Cruz's famly
> said it has filed a formal complaint with the police department's Internal
> Affairs division and are requesting a complete investigation."
>
> http://www.nbc10.com/news/9574663/detail.html

So they arrested him for walking out in public mere feet from his home
and he and the witnesses are lying.

Sorry jaybird, the cops denial doesn't make sense. And if they did just
arrest him for no stated reason at all, then that's an even worse.

Old August 1st 06, 07:43 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
jaybird

"Brent P" > wrote in message
. ..
> In article >, jaybird wrote:
>>
>> "Brent P" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>>
>>> http://www.freemarketnews.com/WorldNews.asp?nid=17667
>>>
>>> (via fark.com)
>>>
>>> STUDENT BUSTED FOR TAKING COP PICTURES
>>> Friday, July 28, 2006 - FreeMarketNews.com
>>>
>>> A Penn State college senior was arrested after he pointed his camera
>>> cell
>>> phone at police activity in his neighborhood. A Philadelphia NBC News
>>> Channel 10 report says the family of Neftaly Cruz, 21, is claiming the
>>> cops had "no right to come onto their property and arrest their
>>> 21-year-old son simply because he was using his cell phone's camera."
>>>
>>> Cruz had heard a commotion outside his parents' home and walked out the
>>> door to investigate it. When he saw the street lined with police, he
>>> flipped his phone open to take a picture. Within moments, an officer
>>> came
>>> to his back gate, put him into a police car, cuffed him and took him to
>>> jail. According to a neighbor's report, the cop spoke only once during
>>> this process, allegedly saying, "You should have just went [sic] in the
>>> house and minded your own business instead of trying to take pictures
>>> off
>>> your picture phone."
>>>
>>> The charge against Cruz was based on a new law, allegedly prohibiting
>>> people from taking pictures of police officers with cell phones. Cruz is
>>> quoted as saying, "They threatened to charge me with conspiracy,
>>> impeding
>>> an investigation, obstruction of a investigation..." Larry Frankel of
>>> the
>>> local ACLU chapter, reportedly said, "There is no law that prevents
>>> people from taking pictures of what anybody can see on the street,"
>>> adding that, "it's rather scary that in this country you could actually
>>> be taken down to police headquarters for taking a picture on your cell
>>> phone of activities that are clearly visible on the street." - ST

>> Oh come on Brent. I thought you were too smart to believe everything you
>> read. We already hashed this one out last week:
>>

>> "Police told Hairston that they did take Cruz into to custody, but they
>> said
>> Cruz was not on his property when they arrested him. Police also denied
>> that
>> they told Cruz he was breaking the law with his cell phone. Cruz's famly
>> said it has filed a formal complaint with the police department's
>> Internal
>> Affairs division and are requesting a complete investigation."
>>
>> http://www.nbc10.com/news/9574663/detail.html

> So they arrested him for walking out in public mere feet from his home
> and he and the witnesses are lying.
>
> Sorry jaybird, the cops denial doesn't make sense. And if they did just
> arrest him for no stated reason at all, then that's an even worse.

You can't arrest someone for no stated reason. The complaint and affidavit
have to have an arrest title, etc. I'd wait and see what those say before
you start blindly believing this story.

--
---
jaybird