screeching

Old April 25th 05, 05:39 PM
schmair gees

Default screeching

i have a 1994 SL1 80k miles. i picked up a screeching sound when i put
on the air conditioner. i took it to a mechanic buddy and he rubbed soap
on the belt and it quieted it down for a while (probably till the soap
washed off). i replaced the belt at pep boys and it was fine for a few
days. then the screeching appeared again. it happens when i put my
air-conditioner on and when i accelerate. if i slow down or turn the
air-conditioner off it goes away in a couple of seconds. ive owned this
car since december of 1998 and bought this from a saturn dealer with 67k
miles. i enjoy this car very much and like the information i get from
this group. thank you in advance.

Old April 25th 05, 07:01 PM
Bob Shuman

Take it back to Pep Boys and have them either refund you the labor they
charged or properly tighten the belt. Given the symptoms you've described
it appears it was not correctly tensioned or not tightened down afterward so
has come loose.

Bob

Old April 26th 05, 01:48 AM
Kirk Kohnen

The Saturns use a spring loaded tensioner. Often they go out. I'd bet a plug
nickle that you need a new tensioner also.

Old April 26th 05, 03:30 PM

Does your A/C work well? Noticed a huge decrease in mileage when using
the A/C, maybe? The compressor could be going bad and on the road to
seizing up.

Otherwise, the usual culprits are the bearings in the idler and
tensioner, especially when cold.

Tim.

Old April 28th 05, 04:46 PM
SMacIntyre

13K in 6-1/2 years? I'd have walked and saved the money of buying a car!
<joking>