2001 SL2 - dash (top) removal

Old April 20th 05, 09:49 PM
Jocko

Default 2001 SL2 - dash (top) removal

My 2001 SL2 has developed a dash rattle . .. . just beneath the windshield.
The dealer said that they couldn't find and therefore fix the problem when I
took it to them while it was under warranty. Now that the warranty has
expired I want to try myself.

My Haynes manual doesn't show how to remove the top surface of the dash. Do
I have to remove the instrument cluster?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Jeff in Saskatoon

Old April 20th 05, 09:53 PM
Jocko

Whoops! Sorry for the double post. I got a server error message on the
first post so I did it a second time. Somehow the first post showed up
anyway.

Jeff

Old April 20th 05, 10:05 PM
marx404

If its anything like the '02 SC2, which I believe it is, then you have few
small phillips screws under the front lip of the dashboard. I think you must
also remove the 2 end caps of the dash too. Then you can gently pry the dash
top off by pressing a butter knife or thin screwdriver in the crack tween
top of the dash and the front. To remove the guage pod, you must also remove
the 2 screws from the bottom of the steering column.
I think thats all there is to it, hope I didnt miss anything.

marx404

Old April 22nd 05, 08:28 PM
Art

Before you take it apart, check outside trim that might be rattleing against
the bottom of the windshild. Many Toyota's have that problem and people use
silicone sealant to fix it. In my Avalon case the factory used an
expanding pin instead of screws to hold down the vent cover below the
wipers and it hits the windshield in cold weather and rattles. It sounds
like a dash rattle till you find and fix it.

Old May 4th 05, 04:39 PM
Jocko

I don't see any small screws under the lip. I guess the SL and SC must be
different. The end caps do come off, however. Does anyone else know how to
remove the dash "cap"?

JB

Old May 5th 05, 12:50 AM
M. Cantera

Get a subscription to alldata.com they should have all that stuff on
line. Dashes are expensive and you screw it up really easy by brakin
gon eof the moiun points or pinching a wire harness when putting it
back together again.

On Wed, 4 May 2005 09:39:48 -0600, "Jocko" >
wrote:

>I don't see any small screws under the lip. I guess the SL and SC must be
>different. The end caps do come off, however. Does anyone else know how to
>remove the dash "cap"?
>
>JB
>
>"marx404" > wrote in message
>> If its anything like the '02 SC2, which I believe it is, then you have few
>> small phillips screws under the front lip of the dashboard. I think you
>> must
>> also remove the 2 end caps of the dash too. Then you can gently pry the
>> dash
>> top off by pressing a butter knife or thin screwdriver in the crack tween
>> top of the dash and the front. To remove the guage pod, you must also
>> remove
>> the 2 screws from the bottom of the steering column.
>> I think thats all there is to it, hope I didnt miss anything.
>>
>> marx404

2001 Buick Century Factory Radio Removal and Repace [email protected] Technology 2 January 13th 05 04:55 AM
2001 SL2 radio removal and reinstallation Jocko Saturn 0 January 4th 05 04:29 PM
Removal of dash teddysc Ford Explorer 1 November 25th 04 02:12 AM
2001 Intrepid Fan Removal Glenn V. Searles Dodge 0 April 29th 04 02:06 AM