'93 Sport Starting Difficulty and Clutch Questions

Old September 19th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Steve Reynolds

Default '93 Sport Starting Difficulty and Clutch Questions

Hello All. Car starts immediately, but wants to die and will do so if I
don't pump the gas pedal a few times for a period of about 10 seconds to
keep it running. It then runs fine and warms up normally. Car runs and
accelerates great after that. I am the original owner of this vehicle and it
has 103K miles on it. I am still on the original clutch and am curious to
how long a clutch usually lasts on the Explorer. To date, there is no
slippage that I can detect and it still seems to shift great. Thanks in
advance. Steve

Old September 19th 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
andy[_2_]

I have 214K on my orig. cluch. 92 sport 4x4

Old September 20th 06, 05:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ashton Crusher

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 17:19:09 -0700, "Steve Reynolds"
> wrote:

>Hello All. Car starts immediately, but wants to die and will do so if I
>don't pump the gas pedal a few times for a period of about 10 seconds to
>keep it running. It then runs fine and warms up normally. Car runs and
>accelerates great after that. I am the original owner of this vehicle and it
>has 103K miles on it. I am still on the original clutch and am curious to
>how long a clutch usually lasts on the Explorer. To date, there is no
>slippage that I can detect and it still seems to shift great. Thanks in
>advance. Steve

If you know how to drive a clutch (and you do if it's lasted that
long) it will easily last that long and longer. If you don't know how
to drive a clutch you can burn it up in 25K.
Old September 21st 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Steve Reynolds

Thanks Andy and Ashton for your responses. Steve

Old September 23rd 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Bob[_2_]

Steve Reynolds wrote:
> Hello All. Car starts immediately, but wants to die and will do so if I
> don't pump the gas pedal a few times for a period of about 10 seconds to
> keep it running. It then runs fine and warms up normally. Car runs and
> accelerates great after that. I am the original owner of this vehicle and it
> has 103K miles on it. I am still on the original clutch and am curious to
> how long a clutch usually lasts on the Explorer. To date, there is no
> slippage that I can detect and it still seems to shift great. Thanks in
> advance. Steve

Clutch life depends on type of use. Hicks only need to shift a few times
every hundred miles. Us city slickers gotta shift 20 times a mile, even
more here in San Francisco hills.