how many mile to a tank of fuel?

Old September 19th 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
drunknmunky

Default how many mile to a tank of fuel?

not long had my vw golf 1.8 auto. it is 16 years old has been looked after
and only done 85k. how many miles should i get out of full tank of fuel? at
the moment a am only gettin around 260, is there something wrong?

Old September 19th 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Papa

The EPA estimate for my 1988 VW Cabbie with a 1.8 L, 8 V engine is about 24
MPG city, 27 MPG highway. With a 13.7 gallon fuel tank, that adds up to
about 370 miles on a tankful of fuel on the open road, so something is
definitely wrong. Mine actually gets about 30 MPG highway, which gives me a
tank range of about 411 miles.

Check your fuel filter, spark plugs, etc.. Sounds like you need at least a
tune up.

Old September 19th 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Dave[_11_]

"drunknmunky" <u26877@uwe> wrote:

>not long had my vw golf 1.8 auto. it is 16 years old has been looked after
>and only done 85k. how many miles should i get out of full tank of fuel? at
>the moment a am only gettin around 260, is there something wrong?

I get 33 mpg highway, about 27 city.
Old September 20th 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jim Behning[_1_]

Tank of gas is not a unit of measure. How many gallons pumped and are
those US gallons or some other countrys? A gallon is not a gallon you
know.

Also the amount of city driving you do and if you know how to drive
economically will affect mpg.

Old September 20th 06, 01:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Joseph Meehan[_1_]

drunknmunky wrote:
> not long had my vw golf 1.8 auto. it is 16 years old has been looked
> after and only done 85k. how many miles should i get out of full tank
> of fuel? at the moment a am only gettin around 260, is there
> something wrong?

First I suggest measuring units of fuel not tanks. Fill it up record
the miles. Next fill up record the miles and the gallons liters or
whatever. Divide the miles by units and do this two more times. If all
three are close, you now know what it is doing.

Tanks are not good measures. Not only do we tend to refill an not the
exact same level as indicated on the gas gauge, but gas gauges can change
calibration as the age. You might be doing a lot closer to what you use to
get than you think.

As suggested, start with standard maintenance. BTW if you have the
original timing belt, you are on borrowed time.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old September 20th 06, 02:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jonny

"drunknmunky" <u26877@uwe> wrote in message news:668a4bad2e233@uwe...
> not long had my vw golf 1.8 auto. it is 16 years old has been looked after
> and only done 85k. how many miles should i get out of full tank of fuel?
> at
> the moment a am only gettin around 260, is there something wrong?

I've never heard of anyone driving a car until the fuel tank is dry. IE -
"a full tank of fuel".

My 88 VW has 12 gallon tank. At just under a 1/4 per the fuel gauge is when
I fill it again. This works out per the amount of gasoline stated by the
pump at just under or at 9 gallons. Typically, I drive 300+ miles on that.

Fill and top the fuel tank without spillage. Drive the vehicle 260 miles.
Immediately fuel the vehicle the same way again. Write down exactly how
many gallons including tenths. Divide 260 by that figure. That is the
miles per gallon figure over the terrain you chose to drive in including
city, stop and go, rural, highway, hilly and flat terrain. Include that mpg
figure and your typical driving terrain. Then, ask the question again.
Stating the year of the vehicle is alot easier to read. IE - 1990 VW Golf.
--
Jonny

Old September 20th 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
nono2010

my car vw golf vr6 2.8L m94 auto , need 11 galon each 425 K.m
Jonny أرسلت:

Old September 20th 06, 08:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
drunknmunky via CarKB.com

there is a problem and i think i have found it. there is a fuel leak some
where in the pipe where it goes into the body work before entering the engine.
trip to the garage on saturday to see if i am right. cheers for your help.

Old September 21st 06, 04:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Matt B.

"drunknmunky" <u26877@uwe> wrote in message news:668a4bad2e233@uwe...
> not long had my vw golf 1.8 auto. it is 16 years old has been looked after
> and only done 85k. how many miles should i get out of full tank of fuel?
> at
> the moment a am only gettin around 260, is there something wrong?

As others have said, a tank of fuel is not very specific. However since
it's 16 years old I'm going to assume it's a 1990 model which makes it a Mk2
(and assuming it's not a convertible which would be a Mk1) and I'm going to
assume it's a 14.5 US gallon tank (AFAIK all Mk2s were that size).

That said, my 1.8 8V Mk2 GTI 5-speed gets 29.5 miles/gallon (again, US
gallons, not imperial, and not liters) and that means I get just over 400
miles to a tank. You have an automatic and those usually get less, but not
THAT much less. You're talking 17-18mpg there. That's just awful for a
Golf. Something is wrong for sure.

Old September 21st 06, 04:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Matt B.

"Jim Behning" > wrote in message
> Tank of gas is not a unit of measure. How many gallons pumped and are
> those US gallons or some other countrys? A gallon is not a gallon you
> know.

All true but the information was more or less there to figure out what size
tank we were talking about.