92 Exploder, gas guage kaput, help?

Old July 24th 05, 09:59 PM
michael

Default 92 Exploder, gas guage kaput, help?

My gas guage is not werking any more.

Electricity off = just above empty.
Electricity on= right on empty, not below, not above

Negative ground bad?

It was working so-so for a few weeks just before it crapped out. It would
be on empty and than it would rise up and go to the right place.

Now it's just empty all the time.

How do I fix this?

92 Explorer 4x4 four door

TIA

Old July 25th 05, 08:12 PM
dreonic

most likely its your float, they had a problem with them, drop the tank
pull out the assembley and resolder the float.

Old July 26th 05, 12:37 AM
dr bob

"michael" <roverresources@g whiz mail.com> wrote:

>My gas guage is not werking any more.

>Electricity off = just above empty.
>Electricity on= right on empty, not below, not above

>Negative ground bad?

>It was working so-so for a few weeks just before it crapped out. It would
>be on empty and than it would rise up and go to the right place.

>Now it's just empty all the time.

>How do I fix this?

>92 Explorer 4x4 four door

>TIA

As others will tell you, the common failure is the little brass float
in the tank. It's a little drawn bulb with a "groove" formed in it.
The wire support for the float wraps around the float in this groove.
While it's possible to drain all the fuel out of the float and try to
solder it, the brass is quite thin to start with, and it's really thin
where it's worn through. Fortunately, this is one part that the
dealer sells as a repair part without having to buy the whole
pump/sender assy. So drop by the dealere parts counter with maybe $10
and bring one home.

Drain the tank, Lower the tank from its supports carefully on a jack
with a pad, and release the hose connections on top, and the ground
wire and sender/pump wires that unplug. Lower the tank the rest of
the way. Two people working on this makes it a lot easier/safer.

The pump/sender is held in by a big locking ring that is probably
rusted in place a bit. PB Blaster and a soak for a bit will help,
then coax the ring off with gentle application of hammer with a drift.
With the ring off, the sender/pump will lift out. Pop the old float
out, new float in, and reassemble.

Note how the bolts/straps/skid plate bolt together before you
disassemble to make reassembly easier.

Normal fire safety precautions apply. Work outside, away from the
house. Charged garden hose and a big fire extinguisher handy. No
smoking, etc.

Should do the trick....

dr bob

Old July 26th 05, 03:59 AM
John Riggs

Hey, when you get an answer let me know. I'm having the same problem on
the same vehicle.

Old July 31st 05, 08:37 PM
kingj

sounds to me like your float is bad, the intermittent problems you were
experiencing, were due to corrosion, now its got an actual hole.

Old August 1st 05, 07:04 AM
John Riggs

Hmmmm ..... sounds about right. I just got done doing mine. Pilled the
tank, the sending unit, pulled off the float and resoldered the little
solder plug on the end ( and resoldered the joint that runs around the
middle ) and it seems to be working fine

"kingj" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
| sounds to me like your float is bad, the intermittent problems you were
| experiencing, were due to corrosion, now its got an actual hole.

93 caprice classic temp guage not working [email protected] Technology 5 July 9th 05 12:20 AM
Gas Guage Stuck Shadowdancer BMW 14 April 25th 05 05:28 PM
Any issues with installing outdoor temp guage? JeremyE Honda 2 March 16th 05 04:17 PM
temp guage (gage) dead cK Ford Explorer 3 January 14th 05 02:23 AM
Guage faces in KPH Leon van Dommelen Mazda 1 November 14th 04 12:33 AM