95 Honda Prelude S Spark Plugs: To Platinum or Not Platinum

Old August 2nd 06, 11:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
google_giggle

Default 95 Honda Prelude S Spark Plugs: To Platinum or Not Platinum

Hi all:
Should I use NGK platinum or non-platinum spark plugs in my 95 Honda
Prelude S?

I have heard mixed reviews on NGK platinum on Honda, and my dealer says
Honda does not like platinum. I am confused. Should I go for platinum
or not and why?

-Amy

Old August 3rd 06, 01:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

"google_giggle" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Hi all:
> Should I use NGK platinum or non-platinum spark plugs in my 95 Honda
> Prelude S?
>
> I have heard mixed reviews on NGK platinum on Honda, and my dealer says
> Honda does not like platinum. I am confused. Should I go for platinum
> or not and why?

And your engine is...? I ask for a reason.

The proper plugs a
F22A1: ZFR5F-11
H22A1: PZFR6F-11
2.3L engine: ZFR6F-11
The only one that *requires* a platinum plug is the H22A1.

The "P" means "platinum". No "P" means NO platinum.

You may use NGK platinums without any worry of any kind. They are excellent
plugs. The disaster stories that abound on the Internet usually have to do
with those Bosch platinums at have the skinny wire embedded in the ceramic
insulator.

If you decide to use non-platinums, and you do not have the F22A1, you just
have to replace them a little more often.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old August 3rd 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_1_]

google_giggle wrote:
> Hi all:
> Should I use NGK platinum or non-platinum spark plugs in my 95 Honda
> Prelude S?
>
> I have heard mixed reviews on NGK platinum on Honda, and my dealer says
> Honda does not like platinum. I am confused. Should I go for platinum
> or not and why?
>
> -Amy

go iridium.
Old August 3rd 06, 04:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
John Horner

google_giggle wrote:
> Hi all:
> Should I use NGK platinum or non-platinum spark plugs in my 95 Honda
> Prelude S?
>
> I have heard mixed reviews on NGK platinum on Honda, and my dealer says
> Honda does not like platinum. I am confused. Should I go for platinum
> or not and why?
>
> -Amy

New Hondas are delivered with Iridium plugs these days. NGK or Denso
Iridium plugs would be my first choice, platinums second choice and
conventional third. The real difference is how long they will last.
Assuming no plug fouling from combustion problems (mixture, oil fouling)
then the Iridiums can supposedly do 100,000 miles. I changed the
originals on our '03 Accord at 50,000 miles simply to be cautious and
they were still in very good condition. Of course I put Iridium plugs
back in and will change 'em again at 100,000 miles just to be on the
safe side.

Just stay away from the Bosch Platinums. They use a tiny center
electrode which some cars don't seem to get along well with.

John

Old August 5th 06, 11:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
google_giggle

Thanks all! I will stick with the NGK non-platinum spark plugs for now.

-Amy