Use Limited Diff Lube Only Tag Question

Old May 16th 05, 04:39 AM
Jerry Bransford

(Redine) "It contains friction modifier which is recommended for
limited-slip units"

"Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube LS 75W-90 contains special friction
modifiers designed for limited slip-type differentials"

"Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube 75W-140 LS contains special friction
modifiers designed for limited slip-type differentials."

"Contains special additives to reduce chattering in limited-slip
differentials" (Valvoline)

"PENNZOIL® GEARPLUS® SAE 80W-140 GL-5 is fully formulated for all
limited slip differentials and in power dividers requiring limited slip
additives."

Let's see... the first five brands I checked ALL contain the friction
modifier additive.... wrong again Bill.

You just can't ever admit you're wrong, you must be a hell of a person
to have to live with.

Jerry

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old May 16th 05, 04:43 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I told Mike that, so he wouldn't be concerned, as there is no
friction modifier, and that is true, unless he really looks hard to find
one at about three time the price. I hope your store has the common
sense to not install a disk type limited slip without the ounces of
fiction modifier as state for their differentials at:
http://dodgeram.info/tech/BRSpecs/fluids/specs.html
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 16th 05, 04:49 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Geez, and I pointed to where "Redline" sold the additive
separately. Just goes to show you we may lead a horse to water, but we
can't make it drink if you're that stupid.
None of those site say use in place of the additive! And I know for
a fact they won't work without snapping with adding the friction
modifier additive, PERIOD! But hey you keep destroy limited slips and
I'll keep winning races: http://www.billhughes.com/thunderb.htm
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old May 16th 05, 05:01 AM
Jerry Bransford

Bill, you're hopeless. One of these days you'll admit you were wrong on
something and the world will come to a screeching halt in pure shock.

Old May 16th 05, 05:11 AM
DaveW

Will Honea wrote:
> It may work on some, but on my Tracloc - which is pretty well worn by
> now - I still had to add the modifier to get rid of the complaining
> during tight turns. Plain old 75W90 GL-5 specified for limited slip
> didn't quite cut it for me either.

Same here, I think.

Shortly after I bought my XJ (90K miles), the rear end went South. At
the time, I had a good relationship with the local Dodge/Jeep
dealership, as in the owners were sort of friends of the family. They
put in a junkyard unit for me, with a one year warranty. I forget the
price, but it was discounted from regular dealership prices to the level
of a regular shop.

About 4 months later, when checking things over, I discovered the seals
leaking and spilling lube onto the rear brakes. The dealer (now closed,
unfortunately) replaced the seals and even put in new shoes, gratis.

About a week later, after a 20 mile freeway run, it started grabbing on
right turns. They put in some of the additive and everything has been
just fine ever since (3 years now).

So, sometimes you may need a bit more additive than the "compatible"
stuff has in it. Or, maybe the "compatible" oil is merely that.
Compatible doesn't mean the additive is in there, just the it won't
cause a problem.

Gee, I miss Claude Short Dodge in Santa Monica.

Regards,

DAve
Old May 16th 05, 05:27 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Jerry you're hopeless! But I sure with your ever more ignorant
challenges, this news group at least learns something, and that's whom
I'm doing for, I could give a f**k about you.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 16th 05, 05:29 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

How is Dog Town? ;-)
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 16th 05, 01:26 PM
Mike Romain

Any one I could find had it Bill. I was forced to go with some no name
semisynthetic 'only' because it was the only crap I could find 'without'
the friction modifier in it. Really, it was a pain in the ass!

I was in a rush after a year in pieces to have my CJ7 ready for a run so
I used the GL4-GL5 'compatible' with the 'limited slip' compatible on
it. It worked for the run at least....

My T-5 started having fits shortly after with the syncros acting like
they weren't there.

It shifts great now once I changed fluid.

Mike

Old May 16th 05, 02:42 PM
twaldron

I, for one, learned TWO things.

1.) At least be careful in reading the bottle and don't just assume it's
got it, even if it says "compatible".

2.) Jerry and Bill's relationship is on par with 85% of most marriages.

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:

> Jerry you're hopeless! But I sure with your ever more ignorant
> challenges, this news group at least learns something, and that's whom
> I'm doing for, SNIP

tw

71 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco
03 TJ Rubicon - Rubicon Express 4.5"
01 XJ Sport

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
-- Dave Barry

Pronunciation: 'jEp
Function: noun
Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase')
A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80-inch wheelbase,
1/4-ton capacity, and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in
World War II.

(Please remove the OBVIOUS to reply by email)
Old May 16th 05, 04:21 PM
Jerry Bransford

Mike Romain wrote:
> Any one I could find had it Bill. I was forced to go with some no name
> semisynthetic 'only' because it was the only crap I could find 'without'
> the friction modifier in it.

Of course we are all wrong that most already contain the friction
modifier and Bill is right that they don't contain it. In the, what, 5-6
years BIll has been on this newsgroup, has he EVER admitted to being
wrong lol? Nope, he is incapable of doing such a simple thing.