More Infor on BioDiesel

Old May 11th 04, 12:57 PM
North

Default More Infor on BioDiesel

On Tue, 11 May 2004 11:33:31 GMT, R. David Steele
/OMEGA> said:

> [...]
>|
>|Besides the BioDiesel is a much cleaner burning fuel than regular
>|Diesel and is much more environmentally friendly fuel.
>|
>|Bio Diesel can be made in your kitchen and the only tricking things
>|that you need (hard to get) are methyl Alcohol, and some small
>|amount of Sulfuric acid. The sulfuric acid is used to pretreat
>|contaminated oil from deep fat Fryers and other places. Common
>|household lye can be purchased from local supermarket.
>|
>|Studies were done at the University of Idaho Chemical Engineering
>|department determined that BioDiesel made with Ethyl Alcohol,
>|(Ethyl Alcohol was chosen so that the fuel could be made from
>|all renewable resources. The Cost of the fuel in small batches
>|was determined to be $1.85 a gallon with the production of Glycerin
>|that was regarded as a waste product. Approximately 40$ of the
>|vegetable oil was converted into Glycerin. (However glycerin can be
>|used to make home made soap, shampoo, and hand lotion so it does have
>|a value)
>|
>|The web site that I visited and down loaded for the making of BioDiesel
>|was:
>|http://journeytoforever.org/biodiese...tml#ethylester
>|
>|This is directions of making BioDiesel from Ethyal Alcohol and oil
>|to make BioDiesel.
>|
>|I think that Making BioDiesel in TEOTWAWKI is a very doable thing.
>|This should make sure that fuel will be available for Diesels Gen
>|Sets remain Viable long after fuel becomes unavailable.
>|
>|The Independent
>
>I have been surprised at how most Americans have been resistant
>to diesel. Half of all vehicles in France are diesel. Jeep
>makes, in the US,the Liberty with a diesel (Mercedes common rail)
>but is sold in Europe. The PT Cruiser, the Jeep Grand Cherokee
>and the Land Rover line are all made with a diesel. But not sold
>here.
>
>Here in DC we have, surprising, a lot of gas stations selling
>diesel (at very high prices) diesel. Cheaper for us retired
>military types to go to Ft Myers. And you see a huge amount of
>diesel (TDI) Jetta from VW. Now Mercedes has brought back the
>E320 with the CDI (for $49K).
>
>I can't remember the one actress, Dayrll Hanna I think, who is
>pushing bio-diesel. Her company reprocesses old cooking oil
>(from french friers). But it is also possible to make bio-diesel
>from soy or other plants. By law we are to have 20% of our
>diesel made from soy.
>
>Also we are starting to see engines made for small aircraft that
>are diesels. Jet A or diesel is just more available than AVGAS.
>Especially in the third world. In many places you can not even
>get regular gas (let alone unleaded!!).
>
>In smaller 4 or six cylinder, in line, engines diesel makes more
>sense. Until you get to the V-6, gas has no real advantage.
>
>Now, when are we going to see Land Rover or Jeep sell a diesel
>SUV in the US? These gas prices are making SUVs too expensive to

They do, you just have to order it. I'm getting ready to buy a new
2005 Nisson X-terra with a diesel engine, I have to special order it
tho. The price believe it or not is about the same as a gasoline
model. IIRC there are a lot of vehicals that you can special order the
diesel for. The cars you buy in the U.S. are gas powered for the most
part, however those same cars that are made for the Europe and South
American market are diesels, YMMV.

Old May 11th 04, 02:00 PM
The Independent

You forgot to add that Diesels get better mileage than gas engines of
the same displacement.

There are two reasons for this.
One is that diesel fuel weights more than gasoline so there is more
energy in a gallon of Diesel than there is in a gallon of gas.
The second is that Diesels work at a higher average pressure than the
gas engine (remember the PLANK formula when figuring horse power) and
there fore produce more horsepower than a gasoline engine of the same
size running at the same RPM. (The reason that Gas engines seem to
develop more horsepower is that we run them at higher RPM's). That
is why diesels run 200,000 to 300,000 miles between overhauls and gas
run between 100,000 and 150,000. Well the fact that diesel is an oil
which has a higher lubricant value than gasoline also makes a \
difference.

The Independent

Old May 11th 04, 02:00 PM
The Independent

Old May 11th 04, 03:59 PM
Rob Munach

The Independent wrote:

> You forgot to add that Diesels get better mileage than gas engines of
> the same displacement.
>
> There are two reasons for this.
> One is that diesel fuel weights more than gasoline so there is more
> energy in a gallon of Diesel than there is in a gallon of gas.
> The second is that Diesels work at a higher average pressure than the
> gas engine (remember the PLANK formula when figuring horse power) and
> there fore produce more horsepower than a gasoline engine of the same
> size running at the same RPM. (The reason that Gas engines seem to
> develop more horsepower is that we run them at higher RPM's). That
> is why diesels run 200,000 to 300,000 miles between overhauls and gas
> run between 100,000 and 150,000. Well the fact that diesel is an oil
> which has a higher lubricant value than gasoline also makes a \
> difference.
>
> The Independent
>

> "R. David Steele" wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 10 May 2004 15:30:25 -0700, The Independent
> wrote:
>>
>>|According to the Department of Ag and the Alternative Fuels Data
>>|Center, the amount of vegetable oils and animal fats that can be
>>|recycled and the overproduction of Soy oil, the United States has
>>|the capacity to produce 1,900,000,000 (that 1.9 billion) gallons
>>|of BioDiesel annually. That is the equivalent of 6.65 million tons
>>|of Diesel fuel or 33 super tankers full of diesel fuel.
>>|
>>|Besides the BioDiesel is a much cleaner burning fuel than regular
>>|Diesel and is much more environmentally friendly fuel.
>>|
>>|Bio Diesel can be made in your kitchen and the only tricking things
>>|that you need (hard to get) are methyl Alcohol, and some small
>>|amount of Sulfuric acid. The sulfuric acid is used to pretreat
>>|contaminated oil from deep fat Fryers and other places. Common
>>|household lye can be purchased from local supermarket.
>>|
>>|Studies were done at the University of Idaho Chemical Engineering
>>|department determined that BioDiesel made with Ethyl Alcohol,
>>|(Ethyl Alcohol was chosen so that the fuel could be made from
>>|all renewable resources. The Cost of the fuel in small batches
>>|was determined to be $1.85 a gallon with the production of Glycerin
>>|that was regarded as a waste product. Approximately 40$ of the
>>|vegetable oil was converted into Glycerin. (However glycerin can be
>>|used to make home made soap, shampoo, and hand lotion so it does have
>>|a value)
>>|
>>|The web site that I visited and down loaded for the making of BioDiesel
>>|was:
>>|http://journeytoforever.org/biodiese...tml#ethylester
>>|
>>|This is directions of making BioDiesel from Ethyal Alcohol and oil
>>|to make BioDiesel.
>>|
>>|I think that Making BioDiesel in TEOTWAWKI is a very doable thing.
>>|This should make sure that fuel will be available for Diesels Gen
>>|Sets remain Viable long after fuel becomes unavailable.
>>|
>>|The Independent

You forgot that there are also no throttling losses in a Diesel. I
haven't heard the fuel weight argument before. What are the respective
BTU's per lb and density for gas and diesel?
Old May 11th 04, 03:59 PM
Rob Munach

Old May 11th 04, 05:47 PM
PR

You guy are forgeting that SVO wil run in ANY diesel motor..........U
don't have to process it into Bio-diesel.....you need nothing other than
a filter........its ez all you need is 2 tanks.... one fer' Diesel and
one fer' filtered SVO start the engine on diesel run fer' 5-min then hit
the tank switch and then run on SVO until the last 5-min then you switch
back to diesel to clean the lines,pumps,& injectors........Cost fer' SVO
......we get PAID 17 cents a gallon to haul it away
SVO = straight vegatable oil

The Dirt Weasel
"JEEP..........It's whats fer' Dinner"

Old May 11th 04, 06:41 PM
Bob Hobden

"R. David Steele" wrote in message >
> |According to the Department of Ag and the Alternative Fuels Data
> |Center, the amount of vegetable oils and animal fats that can be
> |recycled and the overproduction of Soy oil, the United States has
> |the capacity to produce 1,900,000,000 (that 1.9 billion) gallons
> |of BioDiesel annually. That is the equivalent of 6.65 million tons
> |of Diesel fuel or 33 super tankers full of diesel fuel.
> |
> |Besides the BioDiesel is a much cleaner burning fuel than regular
> |Diesel and is much more environmentally friendly fuel.

((snip))

> I have been surprised at how most Americans have been resistant
> to diesel. Half of all vehicles in France are diesel. Jeep
> makes, in the US,the Liberty with a diesel (Mercedes common rail)
> but is sold in Europe. The PT Cruiser, the Jeep Grand Cherokee
> and the Land Rover line are all made with a diesel. But not sold
> here.
>
> Here in DC we have, surprising, a lot of gas stations selling
> diesel (at very high prices) diesel. Cheaper for us retired
> military types to go to Ft Myers. And you see a huge amount of
> diesel (TDI) Jetta from VW. Now Mercedes has brought back the
> E320 with the CDI (for $49K).
>
> Now, when are we going to see Land Rover or Jeep sell a diesel
> SUV in the US? These gas prices are making SUVs too expensive to
> drive!

How about a VW Touareg SUV with the V10 Turbo Diesel
http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new_cars/Touareg/Engines#

Or the BMW X5 with the sporting 3ltr straight 6 Turbo Diesel

In Europe they sell the Mercedes S Class and the 7 Series with big diesels
too.

It's the lack of good modern diesels that has caused problems for US owned
car companies in Europe, like Jaguar/Volvo/Saab etc., obviously their
masters couldn't understand the need until recently.

Personally, I'm a petrolhead as you can see below. :-)
--
Regards
Bob

1974 LR S111 2.25 petrol "88" H/top
1987 LR 90 2.5 petrol H/top
1998 BMW 328i SE

Old May 11th 04, 06:41 PM
Bob Hobden

Old May 11th 04, 10:45 PM
The Independent

Now I am going back a long way into the memory archive here but I seem
to remember that the oxidation of one molecule of benzene (the major
component of Gasoline) produces more heat than the oxidation of one
molecule of diesel. However since figuring the oxidation of any solid
or a liquid with a gas you need to use weights as that factors out the
pressure of the gas. Since gasoline weighs about 6.5 lbs per gallon and
Diesel weighs just under 7.0 lbs per gallon.

To oxidize gasoline at the most efficient ratio of gas ot air of 15/1.

That means you need 105 lbs of air to oxidize 7 lbs of of Diesel fuel.

Gasoline only need 97.5 lbs of air to oxidize 1 gallon of gasoline.

In engines of the same displacement a Diesel Engine will turn more
revolutions than a gasoline engine. Those revolutions turn into
higher defiency.

There is also the torque factor in that in a gasoline engine all the
fuel is in the cylinder at the moment of ignition and heat though being
higher initially as the gas expands the temperature starts to drop.

Because Diesel is injected into the cylinder once ignition starts some
amount of fuel is injected into the cylinder as the gas in the
cylinder is expanding the heat of the gas charge stays at the elevated
level loner, their by yeilding more torque in the turning of the engine.

The Independent