Black Transmission Fluid - - Any Hope???

Old May 2nd 07, 06:02 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
Ray O

Default Black Transmission Fluid - - Any Hope???

"EdV" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I can't find the other post with the similar situation, and somebody
> suggested to drain and fill twice to instead of a flush. The first
> drain is get out the fluid then refil and use the car and drain again
> after a couple of days. Makes sense to me and that will save some
> money, as Michael would say ATF is cheap and a new transmission is
> not.
>
> By the way which is better? a flush or a dropping the pan?

Do not flush the transmission!!!

It is not necessary to drop the pan. Just drain and re-fill.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Old May 2nd 07, 06:15 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech

"EdV" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> By the way which is better? a flush or a dropping the pan?

I wouldnt flush. If the tranny has a filter, I would (and do)
drop the pan, clean out any 'dregs', change the filter, and
top up with new fluid.

Old May 2nd 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

And check the transmission fluid level regularly.Don't let it get too
low.
cuhulin

Old May 2nd 07, 09:28 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

On Wed, 02 May 2007 09:52:15 -0700, EdV wrote:

> I can't find the other post with the similar situation, and somebody
> suggested to drain and fill twice to instead of a flush. The first drain
> is get out the fluid then refil and use the car and drain again after a
> couple of days. Makes sense to me and that will save some money, as
> Michael would say ATF is cheap and a new transmission is not.
>
> By the way which is better? a flush or a dropping the pan?

I wouldn't flush it. For every success story, there's five horror stories!

Drop the pan, change the filter, and refill. If it gets real black again
real fast, do it again! (don't change the filter the second time unless
it's filled with gunk...)

Old May 3rd 07, 12:25 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
shiden_kai

Hachiroku ???? wrote:

> I wouldn't flush it. For every success story, there's five horror
> stories!

The only horror stories are here....deep inside "old wives tales"
country!

Ian

Old May 3rd 07, 03:35 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
Mel

I have heard the candle suggestion before, including from the guys at the
transmission shop that dropped the pan. The mechanic and I checked things
out and it was perfectly clean. Even the screen was totally clean. Maybe
the three (exchange) flushes (oil was still black) I did earlier cleaned it
out. The transmission has never leaked.

The mechanics I know also told me about how new oil would clean the seals
and cause leaks, the transmission would start slipping, etc.

I was so concerned that the Toyota would die at any moment that I bought a
new car ... which we hardly use. I just ordred a tow hitch and
transmission cooler.

Maybe I have just been lucky? Or maybe driving it 80 mph (100 miles R/T) to
work every day helped? I bought this car new so I know its history.

The neat thing about newsgroups is you get input from a lot of people.

So far so good.

Mel

Old May 3rd 07, 05:22 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

On Wed, 02 May 2007 23:25:39 +0000, shiden_kai wrote:

> Hachiroku ???? wrote:
>
>> I wouldn't flush it. For every success story, there's five horror
>> stories!

> The only horror stories are here....deep inside "old wives tales" country!
>
> Ian

Now, we sent two Escorts (Mazda trannies) to the flush shop. The first one
went 120 miles, the second 12.

Granted, these were Mazda trannies, but we never flushed another one again.

The problem is, what's turning the tranny fluid black is the friction
material from the clutches. If it's really black, chances are they've
burned right off. Basically, what's moving the car is the friction
material suspended in the tranny fluid. Flush that away and there may not
be enough material left in the tranny to move the car.

I'm sweating bullets on my Supra. I have two choices: drop the pan, change
the shift solenoids, replace the screen, refill it and *HOPE*, or swap to
a 5-speed (what I would rather do, but far more labor and parts intensive!)

Old May 3rd 07, 06:23 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
RT[_1_]

On Wed, 2 May 2007 21:35:49 -0500, "Mel" > wrote:

>I have heard the candle suggestion before, including from the guys at the
>transmission shop that dropped the pan. The mechanic and I checked things
>out and it was perfectly clean. Even the screen was totally clean. Maybe
>the three (exchange) flushes (oil was still black) I did earlier cleaned it
>out. The transmission has never leaked.
>
>The mechanics I know also told me about how new oil would clean the seals
>and cause leaks, the transmission would start slipping, etc.
>
> I was so concerned that the Toyota would die at any moment that I bought a
>new car ... which we hardly use. I just ordred a tow hitch and
>transmission cooler.
>
>Maybe I have just been lucky? Or maybe driving it 80 mph (100 miles R/T) to
>work every day helped? I bought this car new so I know its history.

if it was mostly 80mph there was no slipping in the trans an dit
should be just fine.
I did the drain and fill a few times and the first time I dropped the
pan and replaced the filter. After that just drain and fill. Fluid now
looks like new and the car still shifts like a new car.

Old May 3rd 07, 01:20 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech

"shiden_kai" > wrote in message
> Hachiroku ???? wrote:
>
> > I wouldn't flush it. For every success story, there's five horror
> > stories!

> The only horror stories are here....deep inside "old wives tales"
> country!
>
> Ian

I tend to agree with Ian. This is another case where there are a lot of
stories, but I have never seen documented proof.

I dont like, or use, the flush because I feel it is a bit of overkill, that
it
is not normally what a manufacturer recommends as regular maintenance,
and because it costs a lot more. I have suspected that it was developed
to help garages up their revenues on the basis it was a high technology
'must do' procedure.

I have been wrong a lot before, and this may be another case of it.

Old May 4th 07, 03:33 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

On Thu, 03 May 2007 12:20:31 +0000, HLS wrote:

>> The only horror stories are here....deep inside "old wives tales"
>> country!
>>
>> Ian

> I tend to agree with Ian. This is another case where there are a lot of
> stories, but I have never seen documented proof.

Seen it with me own eyes...

Had to go rescue the victims of two Flush 'n Fills myself...

Accord Brake Fluid & Transmission Fluid Problems ? Robert11 Honda 0 February 11th 07 08:08 PM
transmission fluid hector Honda 20 September 21st 06 04:28 PM
e46 Transmission Fluid George W. Barrowcliff BMW 2 August 11th 06 06:45 PM
transmission fluid Bol Chrysler 4 March 22nd 06 12:47 AM
Transmission Fluid Dan Fraser Dodge 12 August 10th 04 06:08 AM