96 s-10 blazer

Old July 15th 06, 03:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
mailman

Default 96 s-10 blazer

I have a 96 s-10 blazer 4x4 --- 4.3 vortex --- 4door--- with a GU6 rear
end (3.42) and want swap the rear axle assembly complete for a G80
(limited slip) same gears.
What other year and models possible have the 3.42 --G80?
I want to get rid of the extra tire slippage in 2-drive when in snow
and on gravel.
Thanks

Old July 15th 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
sdlomi2[_1_]

"mailman" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I have a 96 s-10 blazer 4x4 --- 4.3 vortex --- 4door--- with a GU6 rear
> end (3.42) and want swap the rear axle assembly complete for a G80
> (limited slip) same gears.
> What other year and models possible have the 3.42 --G80?
> I want to get rid of the extra tire slippage in 2-drive when in snow
> and on gravel.
> Thanks

Hey mailman. I have limited experience with 4wd vehicles. But I have a
friend who was almost fired from his job at a dealership (asst. sales mgr.)
when he accidentally ordered, for inventory, 4wd vehicles WITHOUT limited
slip. I would think that it would still require a special order (if now
even possible) to get a 4wd with open differentials. I've been in & around
vehicles all my life; and the consensus seems to be that people would prefer
a 2wd with limited slip than a 4wd with open differentials.
So, here's the question: Are you positively sure that you have open
rear ends(differentials!)? I'd check them, physically/mechanically, before
I took the options-label's "word".
HTH & hope it saves time & expense. You may already have what you wish
for. s

Old July 17th 06, 02:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_1_]

Sounds like your a glutton for punishment. You do know that the G80 diff
is a known failure item right?
That said there is also a reason why it has 4x4. If your driving around
on loose gravel or snow use 4X4.

--
Steve W.

ups.com...

Old July 17th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bob Urz

Steve W. wrote:
> Sounds like your a glutton for punishment. You do know that the G80 diff
> is a known failure item right?

What fails on the G80's? CLutch packs?

Bob

Old July 17th 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Comboverfish

Steve W. wrote:
> Sounds like your a glutton for punishment. You do know that the G80 diff
> is a known failure item right?
> That said there is also a reason why it has 4x4. If your driving around
> on loose gravel or snow use 4X4.
>
> --
> Steve W.

I don't memorize option codes Steve, but is the G80 the same 8.5"
(approximately) unit in 4th gen F bodies? And what other models use it
off the top of your head?

Thanks,

Toyota MDT in MO

Old July 18th 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
mailman

Thanks Steve , Don't know if I'm a glutten for punishment or not. But
also have a 93 with limited slip that I use everyday turning around
and backing up, whether it is starting out on gravel or snow or backing
out ,very seldom do I spin out or get stuck, and when I use the 96, I
am constantly spinning a rear tire to pull out, or putting it in 4x4 to
back out when in snow.

Old July 18th 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jeffcoslacker[_21_]

Put an air locker in the diff you got....

--
jeffcoslacker
jeffcoslacker's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=219638

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old July 18th 06, 04:58 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_1_]

The G80 is NOT a real limited slip. It is a flyweight controlled clutch
activated locker. It locks when there is an 80-100 rpm difference
between the two sides. The problem is that they have a nasty habit of
coming apart. Seen them bust the spider gears, shed the carbon off the
clutches, the pins holding the weights break and toss parts around
inside. Not my idea of fun. Before I put a G80 in I'd spend the money to
put something like an Auburn Pro in.

I drop my 94 into 4wheel when we get snow or flooded roads or if I'm out
in the woods in the mud. Figure as long as the surface offers some slip
I have the extra drive axle for a reason. Same routine with the 2002.
--
Steve W.

oups.com...

Usenet News==----
> > http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

120,000+ Newsgroups

Encryption =----

Old July 18th 06, 05:08 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_1_]

Same POS.
It is the Eaton Gov-Lok unit. GM and Ford both sell it in vehicles. GM
has 3 axle options IIRC, open diff, limited slip (GovLok) and on the
real hard core machines they do offer a Detroit locker as a special
order item.
The G80 came in the 10 bolts and the 12s.
GM used it as the primary upgrade in towing packages for the truck lines
and in most of the F bodies as well. I think Ford uses it in the lighter
trucks and the Mustang as well.

--
Steve W.

oups.com...

Old July 18th 06, 12:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Comboverfish

Steve W. wrote:
> Same POS.
> It is the Eaton Gov-Lok unit. GM and Ford both sell it in vehicles. GM
> has 3 axle options IIRC, open diff, limited slip (GovLok) and on the
> real hard core machines they do offer a Detroit locker as a special
> order item.
> The G80 came in the 10 bolts and the 12s.
> GM used it as the primary upgrade in towing packages for the truck lines
> and in most of the F bodies as well. I think Ford uses it in the lighter
> trucks and the Mustang as well.

Thanks for the reply. I think that's the unit that uses a pinnion
shaft and cam mechanism to squeeze the clutch packs when the axle gear
speed difference reaches a certain point. It seems like a good idea in
theory, but if it isn't durable then it's pretty worthless.

Toyota MDT in MO

Chevy Blazer 2.8 exhaust noL 4x4 3 February 2nd 05 09:27 PM
Max Seating of Chevy Blazer 4-door 2004 hw 4x4 1 December 15th 04 09:11 PM
Max Seating of Chevy Blazer 4-door 2004 hw Technology 1 December 15th 04 09:11 PM
Lift options for 2000 Chevy Blazer Steve 4x4 4 June 15th 04 05:09 AM