reading OBD-II DTC's on the DATC (heater control) module?

Old March 3rd 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech

Default reading OBD-II DTC's on the DATC (heater control) module?

The 2002 Powertrain Control and Emissions Diagnosis manual says, about
the Dual Automatic Temperature Control module, "The DATC module has a
vacuum fluorescent display for displaying set temperature, function and
diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), and utilizes an on-board diagnostic
(OBD) feature to supply the technician with diagnostic trouble codes
(DTCs). These DTCs direct the technician to the inoperative component."

But I can't find any instructions on how to get it to display the
codes. Can anyone help with this? I have a 2003 Explorer and don't
have a code reader. (I used to just count flashes on my '94 Crown Vic
check engine light after jumpering with a paperclip under the hood. Now
that the codes are alphanumeric this probably isn't possible anymore.)
Thanks.

Old March 3rd 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech

Oops, the words are from the Service Manual, not the PCED manual.

Old March 4th 06, 01:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech

Buy a code reader. You can't flash them out anymore......

ups.com...

Old March 4th 06, 02:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech

DATC will display codes related to DATC, not the PCM.

Ed

Old March 4th 06, 04:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech

"hillpcATemailaccount.com" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> The 2002 Powertrain Control and Emissions Diagnosis manual says, about
> the Dual Automatic Temperature Control module, "The DATC module has a
> vacuum fluorescent display for displaying set temperature, function and
> diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), and utilizes an on-board diagnostic
> (OBD) feature to supply the technician with diagnostic trouble codes
> (DTCs). These DTCs direct the technician to the inoperative component."
>
> But I can't find any instructions on how to get it to display the
> codes. Can anyone help with this? I have a 2003 Explorer and don't
> have a code reader. (I used to just count flashes on my '94 Crown Vic
> check engine light after jumpering with a paperclip under the hood. Now
> that the codes are alphanumeric this probably isn't possible anymore.)
> Thanks.

Well, I've got the OBD-II reader, but you would have to be in St. Louis for
it to be useful.

--
Herb Stein

314 952-4601

Old March 4th 06, 07:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

And why is that so?

Old March 6th 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech

"hillpcATemailaccount.com" wrote:

> The 2002 Powertrain Control and Emissions Diagnosis manual says, about
> the Dual Automatic Temperature Control module, "The DATC module has a
> vacuum fluorescent display for displaying set temperature, function and
> diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), and utilizes an on-board diagnostic
> (OBD) feature to supply the technician with diagnostic trouble codes
> (DTCs). These DTCs direct the technician to the inoperative component."
>
> But I can't find any instructions on how to get it to display the
> codes. Can anyone help with this? I have a 2003 Explorer and don't
> have a code reader. (I used to just count flashes on my '94 Crown Vic
> check engine light after jumpering with a paperclip under the hood. Now
> that the codes are alphanumeric this probably isn't possible anymore.)
> Thanks.

From the piece that you just quoted, it would seem that a code reader
may not be required. The description seems to imply that the module's
display will show the codes. You just need to figure out what to jumper
or which combination of buttons to push.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Matter cannot be created or destroyed, nor can it be returned without a
Old March 6th 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech

You have the service manual, right? I'm looking at the service manual
DVD for the 2002 Explorer (I saw you have a 2003).
In section 412-00; subsection denoted Diagnosis and Testing, Climate
Control System; there is a lot of verbage on how to execute the
selftest and retrieve various codes using only button press combos and
codes on the DATC display. There is also a diagnostic trouble code
chart, and directions to the pinpoint tests.
Read this stuff carefully, as I don't know what the effect on a 2003
(or a 2002 for that matter) might be.

Old March 6th 06, 07:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech

The module will display codes... but it will only display codes for the EATC
(and in some models, the audio system) system. Herky Jerky is quite right
about the DTC list in the shop manual.... but there isn't a powertrain code
among them.

After you guys are done jerking your own chains, shop around for a code
reader... one that is CAN capable is a bonus for those considering a new
purchase in the near future... one that can display proprietary information
is better... one that can display parameter indication data is a better
choice yet...

Old March 6th 06, 01:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.tech

Ohhh, now I see what the original gentleman is trying to do. I am slow
sometimes indeed. He wan'ts to read the powertrain codes using the
climate control display. Never mind. I thought he was trying to
investigate the climate system only.