1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possibly the driveshaft.

Old September 11th 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Trent[_1_]

Default 1990 Miata with 1.6 with shimmy in possibly the driveshaft.

I have a '90 Miata with a 1.6, I have only had it for about a
month, I have started driving it on a regular basis to work and noticed
a shimmy feeling in the car, I took it and had the wheels balanced and
rotated over the weekend, but as I was coming in to work today, I
noticed the shimming is still there, to describe the shimming goes
something like this, at about 60-70 mph, the car vibrates for a time
then stops for a time, it's like the driveshaft is unbalanced, after
the wheels were balanced, the vibration in the car has stopped but the
shimming has continued... does anyone know what the shimming may be...
thanks for the help... Trent

Old September 11th 06, 02:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto[_1_]

i would think it is more likely due to a wheel bearing. the question is
which of the four. i ended up replacing all of mine at about 110,000 miles
because of a little shimmy in the front at high speed. the ones removed
just fell apart and did not require a press to remove them so it was good to
have done them all.

oups.com...

Old September 12th 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Trent[_1_]

I appreciate all the advise, I'll check the wheel bearings when I
get home....I really like this site, there are alot of knowledgable
folks out there when it comes to dealing with the little Miata...
Thanks again.... Trent

Old September 12th 06, 05:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Remove This

"Trent" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I appreciate all the advise, I'll check the wheel bearings when I
> get home....I really like this site, there are alot of knowledgable
> folks out there when it comes to dealing with the little Miata...

I'm little. That makes my Miata BIGGGG.
LOL

--
I work for the ILEC ...." stuff happens! "

Old September 12th 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Remove This wrote:

> I'm little. That makes my Miata BIGGGG.
> LOL

Yes, as much as I wouldn't mind a few extra inches in height and a
little extra weight, the miata looks like it was designed for someone my
size.
If it had a tilt steering wheel, it would never be used by me.

Have you ever seen a really big person in a miata? It looks funny as
hell. I have a friend who is 6'5" with long legs/short torso. His head
fits underneath the top, but his knees were up around his ears.
He went on exactly one ride and said no way, ever.
I agreed with him. I don't think it would have been safe for him to
drive it.

I know that there are a lot of very tall and/or heavy people driving
miatas that make do, but that is exactly what they are doing, making do.
There is no way that the car fits them as perfectly as it does to
someone close to my size.

Pat
Old September 12th 06, 06:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

pws > wrote in
:

> I know that there are a lot of very tall and/or heavy people
> driving miatas that make do, but that is exactly what they are
> doing, making do. There is no way that the car fits them as
> perfectly as it does to someone close to my size.

I'm 6'4" with a 34" inseam and the Miata fits me perfectly, as if
designed specifically for my size. I've driven it on trips of around
400 miles or so and am completely happy with the fit.

It's also white, maybe white Miatas fit better as well as being faster?
Leon can explain it, I'm sure.

Old September 14th 06, 03:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Trent[_1_]

Thanks for the input, last night I took off the front wheels and
shook the wheel, and I think the front bearings are either wore out or
low on bearing grease, I was wondering if you can just replace the
front bearings like you can do the back ones or do you have to replace
the entire hub? Have you found a place to order the bearings at a
decent price? Thanks Trent

Old September 14th 06, 03:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article . com>,
"Trent" > wrote:

> Thanks for the input, last night I took off the front wheels and
> shook the wheel, and I think the front bearings are either wore out or
> low on bearing grease,

Have you gotten a decent wheel balance yet? Don't start replacing
expensive parts at random until you've eliminated the most-likely source
of the problem.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old September 14th 06, 03:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_1_]

Lanny Chambers > wrote in
:

> In article . com>,
> "Trent" > wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the input, last night I took off the front wheels
>> and
>> shook the wheel, and I think the front bearings are either wore
>> out or low on bearing grease,

> Have you gotten a decent wheel balance yet? Don't start replacing
> expensive parts at random until you've eliminated the most-likely
> source of the problem.

Agreed but the OP should inspect and grease the wheel bearings, that's
apparently needed. It may or may not have anything to do with the
shimmy but it still needs to be done and I'd consider it to be urgent
if there's any evidence of dry or bad bearings.

Old September 14th 06, 06:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto[_1_]

the bad news is that the front wheel bearing is integrated with the hub and
so it is expensive ($150 per side vs $30 per side in the rear). the good
news is that it is easier to install than the rear wheel bearing.

but i have no sense at what point these things go bad, i replaced mine at
about 110k as one in the front was clearly bad. i did both sides on the
front because it just made sense, and then i went ahead and did the rear
since i was replacing the rear rotors and had a history of problems with the
rear brakes rubbing... turned out they were about to fail too. yet i
still have that rear rubbing noise in the rear despite new
calipers/rotors/pads... and will be installing new slider pins next (were
hard to find but i finally found them)... pretty soon the only thing
original will be the vin (so heed lanny's warning or you will end up like
me).

"XS11E" > wrote in message
> Lanny Chambers > wrote in
> :
>
>> In article . com>,
>> "Trent" > wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for the input, last night I took off the front wheels
>>> and
>>> shook the wheel, and I think the front bearings are either wore
>>> out or low on bearing grease,

>> Have you gotten a decent wheel balance yet? Don't start replacing
>> expensive parts at random until you've eliminated the most-likely
>> source of the problem.

> Agreed but the OP should inspect and grease the wheel bearings, that's
> apparently needed. It may or may not have anything to do with the
> shimmy but it still needs to be done and I'd consider it to be urgent
> if there's any evidence of dry or bad bearings.

Need help with 1990 4-sale Sean[_2_] Mazda 14 September 11th 06 02:38 AM
1990 Miata - What's a "fair" price? Tom Mazda 13 May 11th 06 04:24 AM
1990 Miata [email protected] Mazda 1 May 10th 06 03:17 AM
question about '91 miata driveshaft pws Mazda 11 December 17th 05 05:57 PM
FA: 1990 miata parts + much more to come - long list, many OEM &aftermarket parts for 1.6 and 1.8 liter M1's pws Mazda 6 August 2nd 05 02:53 AM