Being Awake And Staying Awake - versus - Being Told "You Need Sleep!" {HRI note 20060907}

Old September 8th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,misc.transport.trucking,rec.autos.driving,rec.boats,rec.radio.shortwave
Popeye

Default Being Awake And Staying Awake - versus - Being Told "You Need Sleep!" {HRI note 20060907}

"Peter R." > wrote in message
> TruckingNoob > wrote:
>
>> Sure, but can you learn to SNIP ****? Maybe keep only what is
>> RELEVANT.??
>> I really don't understand people's lack of basic deletion so that you
>> don't
>> have to look throguh tons of CRAP just to see someone one line BS.

> Occasionally there are cross posts that are very educational. For
> example,
> with this thread I didn't realize there was a newsgroup devoted to
> truckers. When I picture a trucker I picture someone not familiar with
> the
> Internet or specifically, Usenet. Now I know better.

FYI, I'm an over the road driver, somewhere in -any- of the Lower 48, 28
days a month or more.

I have about 20,000 posts /10 yrs on Usenet (primarily in Rec.scuba), and
I have broadband PCS in the truck.

As a wildly unsupportable guess, I'd say about 40% of OTR drivers have a
notebook in the truck.

They are, at least, far from uncommon.

We use them for work as well as recreation.

Mapping routes and destinations, book keeping, and locating facilities
like truck scales, maintenance facilities, and fuel stops, all on the
internet.

For recreation I dock my iPod, and download books on tape, and play then
via the truck's sound system.

DVDs of course.

Mounted on a Jottodesk made specifically for Freightliner.

Also many truck stops offer Wife, as well as some state rest areas.

--

Popeye
You can get much further with a kind word and a gun

Old September 8th 06, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,misc.transport.trucking,rec.autos.driving,rec.boats
Telamon

In article >,
"Popeye" > wrote:

< Snip >

Could we drop rec.radio.shortwave off the news group header where this
is off topic? Thanks.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old September 8th 06, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,misc.transport.trucking,rec.autos.driving,rec.boats,rec.radio.shortwave
Popeye

"Telamon" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Popeye" > wrote:
>
> < Snip >
>
> Could we drop rec.radio.shortwave off the news group header where this
> is off topic? Thanks.
>
> --
> Telamon
> Ventura, California

Or instead of being a whining, ****head Usenet prima-donna, you could just
ignore the thread.
You're welcome.

Popeye
Gatlinburg, Tennessee

Old September 9th 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,misc.transport.trucking,rec.autos.driving,rec.boats,rec.radio.shortwave
Original Gashauler

"Popeye" > wrote in message

> For recreation I dock my iPod, and download books on tape, and play then
> via the truck's sound system.

What I liked when I was out was the old radio shows.

Old September 9th 06, 03:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,misc.transport.trucking,rec.autos.driving,rec.boats,rec.radio.shortwave
Dick Chisel

Popeye wrote:
> "Telamon" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> "Popeye" > wrote:
>>
>> < Snip >
>>
>> Could we drop rec.radio.shortwave off the news group header where this
>> is off topic? Thanks.
>>
>> --
>> Telamon
>> Ventura, California

> Or instead of being a whining, ****head Usenet prima-donna, you could just
> ignore the thread.
> You're welcome.
>
> Popeye
> Gatlinburg, Tennessee

[Telamon is] "a whining, ****head Usenet prima-donna" works for you.

"sanctimonious hypocrite" works for me...
Old September 9th 06, 06:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,misc.transport.trucking,rec.autos.driving,rec.boats,rec.radio.shortwave
Popeye

"Dick Chisel" > wrote in message
. com...
> Popeye wrote:
>> "Telamon" > wrote in message
>>> In article >,
>>> "Popeye" > wrote:
>>>
>>> < Snip >
>>>
>>> Could we drop rec.radio.shortwave off the news group header where this
>>> is off topic? Thanks.

>> Or instead of being a whining, ****head Usenet prima-donna, you could
>> just ignore the thread.
>> You're welcome.

> [Telamon is] "a whining, ****head Usenet prima-donna" works for you.
>
> "sanctimonious hypocrite" works for me...

<cough>

Old September 9th 06, 08:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,misc.transport.trucking,rec.autos.driving,rec.boats,rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected]

Default -

> Learn to use DELETE!

ok

Old September 9th 06, 10:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,misc.transport.trucking,rec.autos.driving,rec.boats
Mxsmanic

I was hoping that this might be a thread about staying awake on long
flights, but apparently not.

How _does_ one stay awake on a long flight as the sole pilot aboard?
I know that commercial pilots doze off frequently enough on long
flights, although they are reluctant to officially admit it. But then
there are usually at least two qualified pilots and others who can
wake them up. What do you do when you're the only pilot on board and
you have to fly a really long distance?

In the old days, staying awake was more a matter of life and death, as
you had to manually fly the plane at all times. Today, with
autopilot, you could drift off and survive, if you were lucky. So how
does one avoid it? Or is it just not a good idea to fly long
distances on one's own in an aircraft?

This all applies to other forms of transportation, too, of course.
Truckers and car drivers cannot afford to fall asleep at all. Boats
might be more forgiving, at least in open water with good navigational
aids and plenty of fuel (or wind).

Old September 9th 06, 10:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,misc.transport.trucking,rec.autos.driving,rec.boats
Telamon

In article >,
"Popeye" > wrote:

> "Telamon" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "Popeye" > wrote:
> >
> > < Snip >
> >
> > Could we drop rec.radio.shortwave off the news group header where this
> > is off topic? Thanks.
> >
> > --
> > Telamon
> > Ventura, California

> Or instead of being a

< Snip >

Sorry that my simple request was to much for you to handle.

< Plonk >

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old September 9th 06, 01:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,misc.transport.trucking,rec.autos.driving,rec.boats,rec.radio.shortwave
Popeye

"Telamon" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Popeye" > wrote:

>> > < Snip >
>> >
>> > Could we drop rec.radio.shortwave off the news group header where this
>> > is off topic? Thanks.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Telamon
>> > Ventura, California

>> Or instead of being a whining, ****head Usenet prima-donna, you could
>> just ignore the thread.

You're welcome.

> < Snip >
>
> Sorry that my simple request was to much for you to handle.
>
> < Plonk >

Oh!

No!

I've been -Plonked-!

What a dick.

Thanks for -verifying- that Usenet prima-donna crack empirically.