97 Explorer pinion gear cost

Old July 6th 05, 06:02 PM
Justin Dawg

Default 97 Explorer pinion gear cost

My 97 2WD is in the shop for what sounds like a whining pinion gear or
pinion gear bearing. I'm just waiting on the diagnosis. Has anyone
had this done or know what a ball park cost should be for parts and
labor?

Thank you

Old July 7th 05, 03:56 AM
Joe Rizza

I had a tranny shop tell me that it would be $600-$700 to do that, and
suggested it as "preventive maintenance". Needless to say I don't have
any work done at that shop. I'm learning now, after not having to have
my truck in the shop for 8 years, that it is sometimes not a bad idea
to go to Ford. The nice thing is that it is easy to call them and ask
how much to replace the pinion bearing. They should be able to tell
you parts, labor, and tax.

-Joe