gas mileage on older Saturns

Old March 29th 07, 04:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
njot

Default gas mileage on older Saturns

I am facing driving a much longer commute and would like to get an
older Saturn (1991-95) with a stick shift.
What kind of gas mileage do these get, city vs. highway?

My brother has a 92 sl2 with an automatic and it gets 25 city/35
highway. I would think the stick shift would be even better.

With the price of gas so high, I think this is a good option. I can't
see buying a new hybrid that will cost $$$ in a few years when the
batteries need to be replaced.

Old March 29th 07, 05:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
William Hughes

On 28 Mar 2007 20:02:30 -0700, in rec.autos.makers.saturn "njot"
> wrote:

>I am facing driving a much longer commute and would like to get an
>older Saturn (1991-95) with a stick shift.
>What kind of gas mileage do these get, city vs. highway?
>
>My brother has a 92 sl2 with an automatic and it gets 25 city/35
>highway. I would think the stick shift would be even better.
>
>With the price of gas so high, I think this is a good option. I can't
>see buying a new hybrid that will cost $$$ in a few years when the
>batteries need to be replaced.

'95 SW with DOHC 4-cyl & automatic. I'm getting about 27-28 mpg in
city driving. Of course, it's construction season here in San Antonio
(and has been for at least ten years), so there is a lot of
stop-wait-and-go driving involved.
--
Money can't buy happiness, but it can let you rent it for a while...
Old March 29th 07, 12:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
marx404

Base SL or SL1 will yeild an average of 40mpg on the highway and 25-30 in
the city, ours did. DOHC expect 25-35 mpg.

--
marx404

Old March 29th 07, 01:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
mrichards

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 22:02:30 -0500, njot > wrote:

> I am facing driving a much longer commute and would like to get an
> older Saturn (1991-95) with a stick shift.
> What kind of gas mileage do these get, city vs. highway?
>
> My brother has a 92 sl2 with an automatic and it gets 25 city/35
> highway. I would think the stick shift would be even better.
>
> With the price of gas so high, I think this is a good option. I can't
> see buying a new hybrid that will cost $$$ in a few years when the
> batteries need to be replaced.

I had a 99 SL, SOHC, stick shift and usually got around 35 city and 40mpg
on the hwy. Without A/C on I would get near 42 mpg on hwy.

I have a 97SLI, auto and get around 31 city and 39-40 hwy depending on A/C
being on or off.
Old March 29th 07, 03:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
njot

On Mar 29, 7:47 am, mrichards > wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 22:02:30 -0500, njot > wrote:
> > I am facing driving a much longer commute and would like to get an
> > older Saturn (1991-95) with a stick shift.
> > What kind of gas mileage do these get, city vs. highway?

> > My brother has a 92 sl2 with an automatic and it gets 25 city/35
> > highway. I would think the stick shift would be even better.

> > With the price of gas so high, I think this is a good option. I can't
> > see buying a new hybrid that will cost $$$ in a few years when the
> > batteries need to be replaced.

> I had a 99 SL, SOHC, stick shift and usually got around 35 city and 40mpg
> on the hwy. Without A/C on I would get near 42 mpg on hwy.
>
> I have a 97SLI, auto and get around 31 city and 39-40 hwy depending on A/C
> being on or off.

That's awesome. A new hybrid can't do much better than that.

Old March 29th 07, 08:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Steve[_6_]

"marx404" > wrote in message
> Base SL or SL1 will yeild an average of 40mpg on the highway and 25-30 in
> the city, ours did. DOHC expect 25-35 mpg.
>
> --
> marx404

Wow, you all must use a "heavy" foot. My '94 manual SL averaged just
under 40 mpg *total* (perhaps 60% highway, 40% city) in cold weather and
better than 40 mpg total in summer.

Old March 29th 07, 08:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Steve[_6_]

"njot" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Mar 29, 7:47 am, mrichards > wrote:
>> On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 22:02:30 -0500, njot > wrote:
>> > I am facing driving a much longer commute and would like to get an
>> > older Saturn (1991-95) with a stick shift.
>> > What kind of gas mileage do these get, city vs. highway?

>> > My brother has a 92 sl2 with an automatic and it gets 25 city/35
>> > highway. I would think the stick shift would be even better.

>> > With the price of gas so high, I think this is a good option. I can't
>> > see buying a new hybrid that will cost $$$ in a few years when the
>> > batteries need to be replaced.

>> I had a 99 SL, SOHC, stick shift and usually got around 35 city and 40mpg
>> on the hwy. Without A/C on I would get near 42 mpg on hwy.
>>
>> I have a 97SLI, auto and get around 31 city and 39-40 hwy depending on
>> A/C
>> being on or off.

> That's awesome. A new hybrid can't do much better than that.

Just imagine what an SL hybrid could do!

Old March 30th 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Joe Blow

On 28 Mar 2007 20:02:30 -0700, "njot" > wrote:

>I am facing driving a much longer commute and would like to get an
>older Saturn (1991-95) with a stick shift.
>What kind of gas mileage do these get, city vs. highway?
>
>My brother has a 92 sl2 with an automatic and it gets 25 city/35
>highway. I would think the stick shift would be even better.
>
>With the price of gas so high, I think this is a good option. I can't
>see buying a new hybrid that will cost $$$ in a few years when the
>batteries need to be replaced.

My '02 SL SOHC gets me appx 46MPG (imperial) on the highway in winters
and summers (with AC on) and 50MPG (imperial) on the highway in spring
& fall (when temperatur is between 10-20 degress Celcius.

One tip to help mileage is to overinflate the tires. I use 34psi.
Also, keeping speed under 110KM/h and early shifting (shift @ 2000RPM)
helps.

Old March 30th 07, 02:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
_jj_

Be careful with MPG figures on the web ...
Canadian gallons are quite-a-bit bigger than US gallons.
(like the football fields)
The miles are the same ... they just seem longer in Canada.
jt

Old March 30th 07, 03:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
[email protected]

On 28 Mar 2007 20:02:30 -0700, "njot"
> wrote:

>I am facing driving a much longer commute and would like to get an
>older Saturn (1991-95) with a stick shift.
>What kind of gas mileage do these get, city vs. highway?
>
>My brother has a 92 sl2 with an automatic and it gets 25 city/35
>highway. I would think the stick shift would be even better.
>
>With the price of gas so high, I think this is a good option. I can't
>see buying a new hybrid that will cost $$$ in a few years when the
>batteries need to be replaced.

I have a 95 SL-1 with auto. When I first got a
number of years ago, it got 38-40 on the highway.
Mid 30s in town which doesn't have a lot of stop
and go

We love it.

Two Saturns, one key David Teichholtz Saturn 19 July 18th 06 02:11 AM
Ethanol in older cars causes gas mileage to plummett?? laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE Driving 17 May 26th 06 05:36 AM
New Saturns marx404 Saturn 8 April 23rd 06 08:49 AM
Why Do Saturns Suck... projecti Saturn 0 October 23rd 04 12:08 AM
Saturns Suck! Dennis Hamilton Saturn 17 May 27th 04 03:50 AM