Transmission reliability on long road trip

Old March 25th 06, 06:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default Transmission reliability on long road trip

If you're on a long road trip in a 1993 Grand Caravan with 4-speed
automatic transmission, and the transmission goes bad and needs to be
rebuilt, what's the best solution? Should you go to a transmission
shop, or a Dodge dealer, or what? How much should you expect to pay?
How long should you expect to wait for the work to be done? How can
you be sure it will be done right?

Old March 25th 06, 09:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Thats a tough question when in a strange town miles from home. I would
probably take it to the Dealer for the factory warranty. If you have AAA
towing they may recomend someone? with upgrades & rebuilding
$1500-$2,000 from independant Guessing $3,000 from dealer
93 model- Junk it and take a bus home where you can Buy another vehicle

Old March 25th 06, 10:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

> wrote in message
> If you're on a long road trip in a 1993 Grand Caravan with 4-speed
> automatic transmission, and the transmission goes bad and needs to be
> rebuilt, what's the best solution? Should you go to a transmission
> shop, or a Dodge dealer, or what? How much should you expect to pay?
> How long should you expect to wait for the work to be done? How can
> you be sure it will be done right?

You can't do anything other than hang a sign on the side of the vehicle
"for sale cheap" and take the bus home. If you get it fixed at a dealer
and something goes wrong when your back at home you could easily
end up in a finger pointing match and lose big time. It's a risk I wouldn't
take myself.

Ted

Old March 25th 06, 01:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

How do you figure that you can get in trouble with getting it done at the
dealer? If it was done at the dealer, It is covered by a one year warranty!
Good at all Chrysler dealerships! you'de be in trouble at an independent and
having something go wrong in another town!
Old March 25th 06, 07:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 01:35:35 -0500,
wrote:

>If you're on a long road trip in a 1993 Grand Caravan with 4-speed
>automatic transmission, and the transmission goes bad and needs to be
>rebuilt, what's the best solution? Should you go to a transmission
>shop, or a Dodge dealer, or what? How much should you expect to pay?
>How long should you expect to wait for the work to be done? How can
>you be sure it will be done right?

I had a 1993 T & C and the transmission failed while I was out of
town. It was still under warranty, so I went to a dealer. They
rebuilt it. Cost me the driving time both ways (Home in the rental
car 300 miles, back to get the vehicle in the rental car)

The rebuild lasted just about 12,000 miles. The next dealer (the one
I bought it from) replaced it with a rebuilt transmission. Then he
did it again 20K miles later. This time it was out of warranty, but
Chrysler, because of the continuing problems, paid for half of this
one.

If it had not have been for the 7/70 they gave back then that vehicle
would have broken me.

Cost for that last one was just under $2K in 1998.

If I had a 1993 Chrysler mini van with a bad transmission today, I
would sell it for scrap and be looking for a new ride, the rebuild
will cost much more than the vehicle is worth.

I replaced the '93 with a '99 (yeah I know, why would you do that
after all that trouble with the '93, answer- wife thinks highly of it)
The good news is that it just pushed over130K miles with no
transmission issues. (looking for some wood to knock on as I type).

Frank
Old March 26th 06, 11:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

"Frank Boettcher" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 01:35:35 -0500,
> wrote:
>
> >If you're on a long road trip in a 1993 Grand Caravan with 4-speed
> >automatic transmission, and the transmission goes bad and needs to be
> >rebuilt, what's the best solution? Should you go to a transmission
> >shop, or a Dodge dealer, or what? How much should you expect to pay?
> >How long should you expect to wait for the work to be done? How can
> >you be sure it will be done right?

> I had a 1993 T & C and the transmission failed while I was out of
> town. It was still under warranty, so I went to a dealer. They
> rebuilt it. Cost me the driving time both ways (Home in the rental
> car 300 miles, back to get the vehicle in the rental car)
>
> The rebuild lasted just about 12,000 miles. The next dealer (the one
> I bought it from) replaced it with a rebuilt transmission. Then he
> did it again 20K miles later. This time it was out of warranty, but
> Chrysler, because of the continuing problems, paid for half of this
> one.
>
> If it had not have been for the 7/70 they gave back then that vehicle
> would have broken me.
>
> Cost for that last one was just under $2K in 1998.
>
> If I had a 1993 Chrysler mini van with a bad transmission today, I
> would sell it for scrap and be looking for a new ride, the rebuild
> will cost much more than the vehicle is worth.

No it would not, depending on how many miles were on it and what
condition it was in. I just did this about 9 months ago with a 94 T&C.
Granted, I did the in-an-out and so saved some money that way, but
not that much more than if I had someone else do the in-and-out. And
the transmission has been fine ever since, and I drive it every day. We
also have a 95 T&C and if the trans went in that one I'd do the same
thing in a heartbeat. They may be minivans but they are one of the
few vehicles that I can drive for an hour and get out of and not feel
cramped and stiff with my back killing me.

If you get the transmission rebuilt by someone who knows what
they are doing with these transmissions, they last perfectly fine.
The key is finding someone who knows what they are doing.

Old March 26th 06, 05:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 01:32:01 -0800, "Ted Mittelstaedt"
> wrote:

>"Frank Boettcher" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 01:35:35 -0500,
>> wrote:
>>
>> >If you're on a long road trip in a 1993 Grand Caravan with 4-speed
>> >automatic transmission, and the transmission goes bad and needs to be
>> >rebuilt, what's the best solution? Should you go to a transmission
>> >shop, or a Dodge dealer, or what? How much should you expect to pay?
>> >How long should you expect to wait for the work to be done? How can
>> >you be sure it will be done right?

>> I had a 1993 T & C and the transmission failed while I was out of
>> town. It was still under warranty, so I went to a dealer. They
>> rebuilt it. Cost me the driving time both ways (Home in the rental
>> car 300 miles, back to get the vehicle in the rental car)
>>
>> The rebuild lasted just about 12,000 miles. The next dealer (the one
>> I bought it from) replaced it with a rebuilt transmission. Then he
>> did it again 20K miles later. This time it was out of warranty, but
>> Chrysler, because of the continuing problems, paid for half of this
>> one.
>>
>> If it had not have been for the 7/70 they gave back then that vehicle
>> would have broken me.
>>
>> Cost for that last one was just under $2K in 1998.
>>
>> If I had a 1993 Chrysler mini van with a bad transmission today, I
>> would sell it for scrap and be looking for a new ride, the rebuild
>> will cost much more than the vehicle is worth.
>>

>No it would not, depending on how many miles were on it and what
>condition it was in. I just did this about 9 months ago with a 94 T&C.
>Granted, I did the in-an-out and so saved some money that way, but
>not that much more than if I had someone else do the in-and-out. And
>the transmission has been fine ever since, and I drive it every day. We
>also have a 95 T&C and if the trans went in that one I'd do the same
>thing in a heartbeat. They may be minivans but they are one of the
>few vehicles that I can drive for an hour and get out of and not feel
>cramped and stiff with my back killing me.
>
>If you get the transmission rebuilt by someone who knows what
>they are doing with these transmissions, they last perfectly fine.
>The key is finding someone who knows what they are doing.

I guess the people at the factory who built the original transmission
that failed in less than 30K didn't know what they were doing? In '93
there were problems. Lots of people going through the same thing on
OEM as well as rebuilts. I hear less about it these days and my own
experience is better as indicated below.

Hope you continue to get good service out of yours.

Frank

Old March 27th 06, 06:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

How about a pre-emptive strike???

Find a good trans shop before you leave town. Look around, they DO
exist. Have them read the computer codes from the tranmission
computer. This will also get data which tells them approximately what
the condition of the transmission is. If the trans looks like it might
be in bad shape, then have it rebuilt a month or two before you leave.

There is a shop not too far from where I live which will read the
codes for free. If they need to rebuild, then you are looking at $1800
CDN$ plus tax. This includes ALL labour, the re&re, the ATF+4
fluid.... Best deal around. And best of all, they are HIGHLY
recommended and respected. They are usually rebuilding 4 or 5 A604s on
any given day, and have a dedicated TEAM of mechanics that do nothting
else.

Preventive Maintenance is always best.

And to those who think a 93 or 94 van is crusher bait, well, that
depends. High mileage - maybe so. But remember....

The newer vans are smaller. The newer vans have the Big Brother option
in the computer that allows police and insurance companies to read the
computer information for things like the speed you were supposedly
going just before a crash. And last, but certainly not least, a new
van is going to cost you $25,000 to $40,000 depending on equipment and
options, taxes....... You can do a hell of a lot of preventive
maintenance for that kind of money. I sure as hell can't aford a $600
a month car loan payment, can you? And, no, I refuse to "lease" a van
for $300+ per month for something I wont even own at the end.

Something to think about.