white smoke from ym 1993 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L

Old August 3rd 05, 02:59 AM
Bradley Lathan

Default white smoke from ym 1993 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L

i just bought this 93 cherokee and it will not pass emmissions testing
that northern virginia has. i tried the stop smoke goo that you pour
in. i replaces the plugs and changed the air filter. im a a loss of
ideas. the smoke is like a white/clear look to it. not the type of
smoke that a dump truck puts out.

any suggestions??

Bradely Lathan
Dumfries, VA 22026

Old August 3rd 05, 03:31 AM
Billy Ray

What did the emissions report say? What were the readings?

Old August 3rd 05, 12:23 PM
Jo Bo

Three things can cause light colored smoke.

Un burned fuel.
Oil burning.
Coolant from a leaking head gasket or something.

The first should smell like gas and I suspect you would know by how it's
running if that were your problem. The second would smell like burned oil
and your plugs would be oil fouled. Could be caused by a clogged crank case
breather. I've never smelled the latter. Also condensation on a cool morning
and cold engine can cause vapor like steam.
Post your test readings and maybe others can be more helpful,

JoBo

Old August 5th 05, 05:38 PM
wkearney99

> i just bought this 93 cherokee and it will not pass emmissions testing
> that northern virginia has. i tried the stop smoke goo that you pour
> in. i replaces the plugs and changed the air filter. im a a loss of
> ideas. the smoke is like a white/clear look to it. not the type of
> smoke that a dump truck puts out.
>
> any suggestions??

Take it to a shop? As in, ask before dumping crap into the oil?

What's the oil on the dipstick look like? Just the usual black or is it
medium gray with some froth to it? A cracked block or blown head gasket
will let coolant into the oil and cause it to look milky. Likewise, when
the engine's cool, remove the radiator cap and look at the coolant. If it's
not the usual green (or rust) colored then the same thing applies. But if
the oil and coolant look normal then it's probably oil being burned.
Various reasons, none with cheap solutions; valve job, piston rings, etc.

Old August 5th 05, 11:24 PM
J Strickland

It sounds like you bought a piece of ****.

My guess is that you have at best a blown head gasket, and at worst a broken
head. White smoke is generally caused by water/coolant.

Old August 12th 05, 02:48 AM
Bradley Lathan

In the state of virginia they will not test it if it is smoking. i do
smell someting similar to burnt sugar.. could that help any? a friend of
mine has a 4.0l wrangler and she said it might be a head gasket. i
wanna kinda have a feeling for it before i take it somewhere to get it
fixed to help prevent me getting ripped off.

Thanks
Brad

Old August 12th 05, 03:26 AM
Mike Romain

Your nose is telling you it is burning antifreeze. Be really careful
the rad doesn't go to low on you and fry the whole engine. The overflow
bottle won't likely be functioning with an internal leak.

The head gasket is likely bad. Pulling the spark plugs can tell you.
If the head gasket is leaking in, the spark plug right there will be
super clean.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old August 12th 05, 03:47 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Brad,
Get your money back, or threaten the seller with a suit in small
claims court. A gasket or ring failure shows poor maintenance, meaning
the whole car is junk!
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/