MFFY Driver Get His Come-Uppance

Old December 24th 04, 11:49 PM
Nate Nagel

Dave Head wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 17:52:20 -0500, Nate Nagel > wrote:
>

>>Dave Head wrote:

>>>Exactly! But there's folks here that think I'm "inattentive" if I don't notice
>>>these people coming from the rear, and act to prevent them from becoming a
>>>duckling on my left rear while I'm in the right lane. Hey, you figger it
>>>out...
>>>

>>If they aren't actually beside you, what's the problem?

> They are. They (sometimes) slow down when they get to me, and take up a
> position on my left rear quarter panel. Some here think I should jump out in
> front of them to block them from doing that. Not gonna happen. Of course,
> I'm supposed to be clairvoyant to be able to tell which approaching cars are
> going to become ducks, and which aren't. Uh huh...

I don't really have this problem on anything resembling a regular basis.

>>>Sure I do. I don't do that...

>>No, you don't (have a clue that is.) You wouldn't admit to cruising in
>>the left lane if you did.

> Here we go again...
>
> Try to ditch the mantra for once and see if _you_ can figure out what to do
> about the ducklings approaching from the left rear, before you know they are
> ducklings. I have my solution. Other solutions I've been offered do come with
> the possibility of ending in a shooting or stabbing, as they are very
> offensive.
>
> DPH

Just accelerate slightly and cut 'em off. If they're in the left lane
and not passing, they deserve whatever they get. If they get ****ed,
**** 'em. It's not my problem they can't be arsed to drive like a
reasonable person.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old December 24th 04, 11:49 PM
Nate Nagel

Old December 25th 04, 12:37 AM
Dave Head

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 18:49:06 -0500, Nate Nagel > wrote:

>Dave Head wrote:

>>>If they aren't actually beside you, what's the problem?

>> They are. They (sometimes) slow down when they get to me, and take up a
>> position on my left rear quarter panel. Some here think I should jump out in
>> front of them to block them from doing that. Not gonna happen. Of course,
>> I'm supposed to be clairvoyant to be able to tell which approaching cars are
>> going to become ducks, and which aren't. Uh huh...

>I don't really have this problem on anything resembling a regular basis.

>>>No, you don't (have a clue that is.) You wouldn't admit to cruising in
>>>the left lane if you did.

>> Here we go again...
>>
>> Try to ditch the mantra for once and see if _you_ can figure out what to do
>> about the ducklings approaching from the left rear, before you know they are
>> ducklings. I have my solution. Other solutions I've been offered do come with
>> the possibility of ending in a shooting or stabbing, as they are very
>> offensive.
>>
>> DPH

>Just accelerate slightly and cut 'em off.

We can go back to the original text, then...

"An encounter in traffic - possibly a lane
change that offended somebody - led to a pickup-to-pickup shouting
match and then a fatal stabbing,"

Cutting people off, no matter how you do it, risks this sort of outcome. It
****es people off.

Plus, this "accelerate" element make one into radar fodder if one is very close
to the limit of tolerance, about 10 over the posted limit most places.

>If they're in the left lane
>and not passing, they deserve whatever they get.

They may have passed you, you don't know 'til they get there and maybe slow
down on your rear bumper and sit.

So, its MFFY, I think that's called... welcome aboard!

>If they get ****ed,
>**** 'em.

Return to the original text...

And, anyway, you screw 'em your way, I'll screw 'em my way...

>It's not my problem they can't be arsed to drive like a
>reasonable person.

Yes, so far the "solutions" offered instead of the one I use are all
unworkable, being at risk of a confrontation with unpredictable eventualities,
or designed to get one a speeding ticket, or worse, or both.

OK, the next Einstein may give it a try. You just failed.

DPH

Old December 25th 04, 12:37 AM
Dave Head

Old December 25th 04, 12:44 AM
Nate Nagel

Dave Head wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 18:49:06 -0500, Nate Nagel > wrote:
>

>>Dave Head wrote:

>>>They are. They (sometimes) slow down when they get to me, and take up a
>>>position on my left rear quarter panel. Some here think I should jump out in
>>>front of them to block them from doing that. Not gonna happen. Of course,
>>>I'm supposed to be clairvoyant to be able to tell which approaching cars are
>>>going to become ducks, and which aren't. Uh huh...

>>I don't really have this problem on anything resembling a regular basis.

>>>Here we go again...
>>>
>>>Try to ditch the mantra for once and see if _you_ can figure out what to do
>>>about the ducklings approaching from the left rear, before you know they are
>>>ducklings. I have my solution. Other solutions I've been offered do come with
>>>the possibility of ending in a shooting or stabbing, as they are very
>>>offensive.
>>>
>>>DPH

>>Just accelerate slightly and cut 'em off.

> We can go back to the original text, then...
>
> "An encounter in traffic - possibly a lane
> change that offended somebody - led to a pickup-to-pickup shouting
> match and then a fatal stabbing,"
>
> Cutting people off, no matter how you do it, risks this sort of outcome. It
> ****es people off.
>
> Plus, this "accelerate" element make one into radar fodder if one is very close
> to the limit of tolerance, about 10 over the posted limit most places.
>

>>If they're in the left lane
>>and not passing, they deserve whatever they get.

> They may have passed you, you don't know 'til they get there and maybe slow
> down on your rear bumper and sit.

I have no choice but to ASSume that they're going to drive in a correct
manner, until they show otherwise. To proactively block a driver that
has given no sign of not passing would be very assaholic.

> So, its MFFY, I think that's called... welcome aboard!

not the same way you do it, at all.

>>If they get ****ed,
>>**** 'em.

> Return to the original text...
>
> And, anyway, you screw 'em your way, I'll screw 'em my way...

See, here's the thing. I have no problem screwing over someone driving
like an asshole. You have no problem screwing over someone driving.
There's a big difference. Look at it this way - sooner or later you're
going to be in a situation on the road where to get out of a clot of
traffic, you're going to have to **** someone off. I *ALWAYS* make sure
that that person is the one who's driving incorrectly. I leave lots of
space for people driving slow in the right lane, or passing in the left
lane. But I have no problem getting within a few feet of someone
driving slow in the left lane, if it gets me out of a clot.

You, on the other hand, are the guy that I just cut off.

>>It's not my problem they can't be arsed to drive like a
>>reasonable person.

> Yes, so far the "solutions" offered instead of the one I use are all
> unworkable, being at risk of a confrontation with unpredictable eventualities,
> or designed to get one a speeding ticket, or worse, or both.
>
> OK, the next Einstein may give it a try. You just failed.

Whatever you say. You still need remedial driving lessons.

nate

Old December 25th 04, 12:44 AM
Nate Nagel

Old December 25th 04, 01:06 AM
Dave Head

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 19:44:36 -0500, Nate Nagel > wrote:

>Dave Head wrote:

>>>I don't really have this problem on anything resembling a regular basis.

>>>Just accelerate slightly and cut 'em off.

>> We can go back to the original text, then...
>>
>> "An encounter in traffic - possibly a lane
>> change that offended somebody - led to a pickup-to-pickup shouting
>> match and then a fatal stabbing,"
>>
>> Cutting people off, no matter how you do it, risks this sort of outcome. It
>> ****es people off.
>>
>> Plus, this "accelerate" element make one into radar fodder if one is very close
>> to the limit of tolerance, about 10 over the posted limit most places.
>>

>>>If they're in the left lane
>>>and not passing, they deserve whatever they get.

>> They may have passed you, you don't know 'til they get there and maybe slow
>> down on your rear bumper and sit.

>I have no choice but to ASSume that they're going to drive in a correct
>manner, until they show otherwise.

Exactly. So he slows down on your rear, and... you get to be radar fodder, to
get far enough ahead to do a lane change with 2 seconds behind you, so as not
to present him with too little following distance. And, now that he's on your
bumper and you _know_ he's a duck, you _also_ know that a 3 or 4 mph speedup
will be answered with a 3 or 4 mph speedup on his part, since he's a duckling.
And, while all this is going on, you're getting dangerously close to the car in
front of you.

Still unworkable. You're not having much luck with this, are you?

>To proactively block a driver that
>has given no sign of not passing would be very assaholic.

Uh huh...

>> So, its MFFY, I think that's called... welcome aboard!
>>

>not the same way you do it, at all.

No, its a different way, but its the same result - you screw 'em anyway, as you
stated below.

>>>If they get ****ed,
>>>**** 'em.

>> Return to the original text...
>>
>> And, anyway, you screw 'em your way, I'll screw 'em my way...

>See, here's the thing. I have no problem screwing over someone driving
>like an asshole.

You're stated method above either cuts off the guy, or gets you set up for a
big fat speeding ticket, or both... not to mention maybe taking you
dangerously close to the car in front that you're about to pass. Gonna get
within 2 seconds of it? Then you've got _lots_ of room and there's virtually
no congestion on your road. Most people here say they don't drive anyplace
like that.

>You have no problem screwing over someone driving.
>There's a big difference.

Yeah - the difference is your antics are liable to get you stabbed, shot, and
arrested for those _plus_ speeding and maybe reckless driving. Not _that's_
_really_ being an asshole, if you ask me... even if you didn't ask me...

>Look at it this way - sooner or later you're
>going to be in a situation on the road where to get out of a clot of
>traffic, you're going to have to **** someone off.

Sure, but you can minimize it. And of course the statement isn't even true -
you could stop and let others continue - that wouldn't **** anyone off - but
its not very practical, either.

>I *ALWAYS* make sure
>that that person is the one who's driving incorrectly.

Not if you're cutting him off, or accelerating wildly, or getting too close to
the car in front of you, etc.

>I leave lots of
>space for people driving slow in the right lane, or passing in the left
>lane. But I have no problem getting within a few feet of someone
>driving slow in the left lane, if it gets me out of a clot.

Uh huh - you're a more dangerous driver than I am, for sure. LOTS more
dangerous.

>You, on the other hand, are the guy that I just cut off.

Fine. I can handle it. Of course, you may someday get a Jeep Cherokee up your
tailpipe if something goes wrong, but that's the chance you take.

_I'm_ not taking that chance. Once again, the offered methodology is _far_
more dangerous than anything I'm doing, plus would get a person set up for a
big fat traffic ticket. Who's techically correct just doesn't matter one damn
bit of you're pumping your last pint of red into the ditch. Its probably why
I'm in the real near vicinity of having driven about 1.5 million miles without
bleeding all over the highway...

>>>It's not my problem they can't be arsed to drive like a
>>>reasonable person.

>> Yes, so far the "solutions" offered instead of the one I use are all
>> unworkable, being at risk of a confrontation with unpredictable eventualities,
>> or designed to get one a speeding ticket, or worse, or both.
>>
>> OK, the next Einstein may give it a try. You just failed.

>Whatever you say. You still need remedial driving lessons.

You need to keep from increasing the level of risk on the highway. You most
certainly do increase it as you have described above.

DPH

Old December 25th 04, 01:06 AM
Dave Head

Old December 25th 04, 01:29 AM
Nate Nagel

Dave Head wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 19:44:36 -0500, Nate Nagel > wrote:
>

>>Dave Head wrote:

>>>We can go back to the original text, then...
>>>
>>>"An encounter in traffic - possibly a lane
>>>change that offended somebody - led to a pickup-to-pickup shouting
>>>match and then a fatal stabbing,"
>>>
>>>Cutting people off, no matter how you do it, risks this sort of outcome. It
>>>****es people off.
>>>
>>>Plus, this "accelerate" element make one into radar fodder if one is very close
>>>to the limit of tolerance, about 10 over the posted limit most places.

>>>They may have passed you, you don't know 'til they get there and maybe slow
>>>down on your rear bumper and sit.

>>I have no choice but to ASSume that they're going to drive in a correct
>>manner, until they show otherwise.

> Exactly. So he slows down on your rear, and... you get to be radar fodder, to
> get far enough ahead to do a lane change with 2 seconds behind you, so as not
> to present him with too little following distance. And, now that he's on your
> bumper and you _know_ he's a duck, you _also_ know that a 3 or 4 mph speedup
> will be answered with a 3 or 4 mph speedup on his part, since he's a duckling.
> And, while all this is going on, you're getting dangerously close to the car in
> front of you.
>
> Still unworkable. You're not having much luck with this, are you?

I have lots of luck with it. Instead of speeding up "3 or 4 MPH" I
stick my foot in it. I move over as soon as my rear bumper is clear of
his front.

>>To proactively block a driver that
>>has given no sign of not passing would be very assaholic.

> Uh huh...

Yes, it's true! You're an asshole!

>>>So, its MFFY, I think that's called... welcome aboard!
>>>

>>not the same way you do it, at all.

> No, its a different way, but its the same result - you screw 'em anyway, as you
> stated below.

I screw *THE ASSHOLE* (and not even really that; he doesn't have to take
any evasive action at all, he might just be a little miffed that I dared
to invade his buffer zone, just like he did to me) not some random guy
in the left lane that may be actually wanting to pass.

>>>Return to the original text...
>>>
>>>And, anyway, you screw 'em your way, I'll screw 'em my way...

>>See, here's the thing. I have no problem screwing over someone driving
>>like an asshole.

> You're stated method above either cuts off the guy, or gets you set up for a
> big fat speeding ticket, or both... not to mention maybe taking you
> dangerously close to the car in front that you're about to pass. Gonna get
> within 2 seconds of it? Then you've got _lots_ of room and there's virtually
> no congestion on your road. Most people here say they don't drive anyplace
> like that.

So I cut him off. Who cares? He's the one not passing in the passing
lane. I'll be away from him in seconds anyway, it's not like I'm going
to hang out in front of him at his speed.

>>You have no problem screwing over someone driving.
>>There's a big difference.

> Yeah - the difference is your antics are liable to get you stabbed, shot, and
> arrested for those _plus_ speeding and maybe reckless driving. Not _that's_
> _really_ being an asshole, if you ask me... even if you didn't ask me...

I could not possibly care any less about your opinion.

>>Look at it this way - sooner or later you're
>>going to be in a situation on the road where to get out of a clot of
>>traffic, you're going to have to **** someone off.

> Sure, but you can minimize it. And of course the statement isn't even true -
> you could stop and let others continue - that wouldn't **** anyone off - but
> its not very practical, either.

Yes, you can minimize it, by driving in a safe, predictable manner.
Like, say, keeping right except to pass.

>>I *ALWAYS* make sure
>>that that person is the one who's driving incorrectly.

> Not if you're cutting him off, or accelerating wildly, or getting too close to
> the car in front of you, etc.

I don't get too close to the car in front of me, but again, who cares if
I accelerate hard or cut off an asshole? I don't.

>>I leave lots of
>>space for people driving slow in the right lane, or passing in the left
>>lane. But I have no problem getting within a few feet of someone
>>driving slow in the left lane, if it gets me out of a clot.

> Uh huh - you're a more dangerous driver than I am, for sure. LOTS more
> dangerous.

No, in the absence of others driving incorrectly, I am the most
courteous driver you'll ever meet.

>>You, on the other hand, are the guy that I just cut off.

> Fine. I can handle it. Of course, you may someday get a Jeep Cherokee up your
> tailpipe if something goes wrong, but that's the chance you take.

Yes, it is. But the funny thing is, most people won't deliberately
accelerate into the back of your car. Odd, that.

> _I'm_ not taking that chance. Once again, the offered methodology is _far_
> more dangerous than anything I'm doing, plus would get a person set up for a
> big fat traffic ticket. Who's techically correct just doesn't matter one damn
> bit of you're pumping your last pint of red into the ditch. Its probably why
> I'm in the real near vicinity of having driven about 1.5 million miles without
> bleeding all over the highway...

Blood and gore film propaganda. Properly done, what I do is no more
dangerous than getting out of bed in the AM. Your mythical "duckling"
(which I have seen maybe once or twice this year - IME a LLB can 99.99%
of the time be spotted from far away) is only close to my car long
enough for me to accelerate away - a second or less. You on the other
hand admit to cruising in the left lane (while claiming that you do so
to prevent yourself from getting trapped behind all the other assholes
that drive just like you) - who's doing more to enrage the average driver?

>>>Yes, so far the "solutions" offered instead of the one I use are all
>>>unworkable, being at risk of a confrontation with unpredictable eventualities,
>>>or designed to get one a speeding ticket, or worse, or both.
>>>
>>>OK, the next Einstein may give it a try. You just failed.

>>Whatever you say. You still need remedial driving lessons.

> You need to keep from increasing the level of risk on the highway. You most
> certainly do increase it as you have described above.

A statement that applies FAR more so to yourself, and others of your
ilk. I rarely engage in such behavior, I was only explaining the
technique to you so you could get over your irrational fear of the right
lane and stop being the driver you complain about so much.

nate

Old December 25th 04, 01:29 AM
Nate Nagel