Preventing Rust from Road Salt

Old December 24th 10, 01:38 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Default Preventing Rust from Road Salt

http://www.dmv.org/how-to-guides/road-salt.php
cuhulin

Old December 24th 10, 02:44 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 19:38:38 -0600, cuhulin wrote:

> http://www.dmv.org/how-to-guides/road-salt.php cuhulin

I find this

http://www.thirdplanet.biz/images/Ar...d%20Pail .jpg

and this:

http://megacheaphardware.com.au/imag...%20Blaster.jpg

work wonders...
Old December 24th 10, 06:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
econo_cars

> wrote in message
> http://www.dmv.org/how-to-guides/road-salt.php
> cuhulin

http://www.carwell.com

They have bought the rights to resell what is known as Krown Rust (Krown.ca)
in Canada. The T-40 product is what the Canadians get done at the
professional Krown centers. It gets huge marks for long term proven rust
control, and in fact it is so good many of us near the border have been
crossing over to get it done once a year. This was complicated when it
became mandatory for US citizens to have passports to re-enter from Canada.
Carwell tried selling T-40 in a can and in gallon buckets at first, and it
was so successful they penned an agreement to open spray centers using Krown
product relabeled at Carwell T-40 to hide the fact it is Canadian which
evidently will aid sales if we think it is American LOL. That is funny
because who is better to know about rust control than Canadians who pretty
much live in salt at least 6 months of the year, and 12 months of the year
for those on sea coast, mild and moist like Vancouver. My point being we
should want to buy it more if it is made in Canada, more so than if it is
made here where only a few states really know the affects of road salt on
vehicles.

Econo-cars

Old December 24th 10, 06:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

"econo_cars" >
wrote in :

> > wrote in message
>> http://www.dmv.org/how-to-guides/road-salt.php
>> cuhulin
>>

> http://www.carwell.com
>
> They have bought the rights to resell what is known as Krown Rust
> (Krown.ca) in Canada. The T-40 product is what the Canadians get done
> at the professional Krown centers. It gets huge marks for long term
> proven rust control, and in fact it is so good many of us near the
> border have been crossing over to get it done once a year.

I've used Krown (and the very similar product Rust Check) for about
30-years.

The stuff works. Period. It's the very best I've ever found.

There are two major drawbacks to this type of rust treatment:
1) it tends to swell rubbers, so door and hood seals eventually distort and
start to fall off (very expensive to replace!!);
2) it cannot protect where it gets washed off, or where it isn't applied in
the first place, so it's necessary to augment the official treatment with
your own detailed enhancements.

In addition, it cannot prevent rust that's due to stone-chips or other
trauma that breaks the paint film.

I use Cosmoline in certain specific areas, like the rear edges of the rear
wheel wells where they meet the bumper skin. This works better than Krown
in those specific locations.

Krown is fantastic for preventing lock failure, since it acts both as a
lubricant and as a corrosion preventive. You'll never have frozen locks
again, and your locks' weather flaps will never fail!

--
Tegger
Old January 11th 11, 04:57 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
phaeton

That bit in the article about hand-washing the car would never fly in
a real winter.
Old January 11th 11, 11:46 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

phaeton wrote:
> That bit in the article about hand-washing the car would never fly in
> a real winter.

About the only way your going to stop rust from salt is to NEVER let the
vehicle near salt...

--
Steve W.
Old January 11th 11, 12:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

"Steve W." > wrote in news:ighfud$b6k$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

> phaeton wrote:
>> That bit in the article about hand-washing the car would never fly in
>> a real winter.

> About the only way your going to stop rust from salt is to NEVER let the
> vehicle near salt...

That's about the size of it.

Around salt, your car WILL eventually die, no matter how well you take care
of it.

--
Tegger
Old January 11th 11, 01:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 01/11/2011 07:08 AM, Tegger wrote:
> "Steve > wrote in news:ighfud$b6k$1
> @speranza.aioe.org:
>
>> phaeton wrote:
>>> That bit in the article about hand-washing the car would never fly in
>>> a real winter.

>> About the only way your going to stop rust from salt is to NEVER let the
>> vehicle near salt...
>>

> That's about the size of it.
>
> Around salt, your car WILL eventually die, no matter how well you take care
> of it.

Hand washing? you serious? have you tried that when it's below
freezing outside?

best bet is to find an automatic car wash with a good undercarriage
spray and use that... probably doesn't work as well, but cuts down on
frostbite damage to hands

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old January 11th 11, 02:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

On 2011-01-11, Nate Nagel > wrote:
> On 01/11/2011 07:08 AM, Tegger wrote:
>> "Steve > wrote in news:ighfud$b6k$1
>> @speranza.aioe.org:

>>> About the only way your going to stop rust from salt is to NEVER let the
>>> vehicle near salt...
>>>

>> That's about the size of it.
>>
>> Around salt, your car WILL eventually die, no matter how well you take care
>> of it.
>>

> Hand washing? you serious? have you tried that when it's below
> freezing outside?

I've done hand washing in sub zero weather.
1) sunny day. Park in the sun.
2) use hot water.
3) do one panel at a time. Wash, dry.

Old January 11th 11, 02:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

Nate Nagel > wrote in
:

> Hand washing? you serious? have you tried that when it's below
> freezing outside?

Whoever suggested that has never tried it. Or he has an appropriately
heated and drained indoor facility in which to perform such automotive
toilet.

> best bet is to find an automatic car wash with a good undercarriage
> spray and use that...

Doesn't work. Undercarriage sprays simply blast the same areas of the
underbody that are already blasted by road spray. It does not get into ANY
of the areas that collect slush and sand, which is where exterior rust
begins. Plus the spray doesn't last nearly long enough to remove clumps of
salty ice or sand.

--
Tegger

Protect Your Car From Road Salt [email protected] General 0 January 1st 08 10:21 PM
Road Salt or Dry teem Saturn 0 December 10th 05 09:23 PM
Pesky High Idle preventing 300,000 mile mark jdybber Dodge 2 December 1st 05 02:21 PM
Road Salt Protection Gary Saturn 2 October 17th 05 09:21 PM
preventing rust on drilled holes in frame [email protected] General 2 February 21st 05 04:29 AM