What are currently your 3 favorite muscle cars and why ?

Old April 4th 11, 09:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.driving,aus.cars,rec.autos.driving
Lil Abner

Default What are currently your 3 favorite muscle cars and why ?

On 4/4/2011 4:39 AM, Jeff wrote:
> Irrespective of the age, make or model, what are currently your 3
> favorite muscle
> cars and please separately say why, for each fave one named. You don't
> have to
> offer only ultra technical-mechanical reasons, but it's fine if that
> stuff is mentioned.

68 Dodge Charger Hemi or Cuda hemi
64 Ford Galaxie 427
69 Buick GS455
Olds 442
Nova SS396(402)
Camaro SS427
ChevyII 350 375 HP
Chevelle 427
AMC Rebel dog Leg port 401
Mercedes SL63,SL65
Ford Mustang 429 Boss
69 Fairlane 390 or 427
The list is endless.
At the time we had whatever you had was the baddest.
They were all Bitchin and a lot more.
Right now The Mustang and Camaro etc just don't have it.
Before anyone says their Toyota will out run them they need to find one
in tune. They don't have six and seven speeds etc. If they had evolved
they would be pushing 800 hp. Instead we have emissions engines.
If it wasn't for the exhaust sound tuning and cat the things would sound
like chain saws with fart cannons.
The fuel injection etc is tuned per EPA and NHTSA.
There is no substitute for torque.

Old April 4th 11, 09:37 PM posted to rec.autos.sport.nascar,rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.driving,aus.cars,rec.autos.driving
Trevor Wilson[_3_]

Jeff wrote:
> Irrespective of the age, make or model, what are currently your 3
> favorite muscle
> cars and please separately say why, for each fave one named. You don't
> have to
> offer only ultra technical-mechanical reasons, but it's fine if that
> stuff is mentioned.

**There is and always was only one:
A Shelby Cobra.

Never driven one. I just wanted one, ever since I saw/read about it when I
was 12 years old.

I still want one.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Old April 4th 11, 09:44 PM posted to rec.autos.sport.nascar,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving
M.A. Stewart

"That Tune" ) writes:
> "Jeff" > wrote in message
>> Irrespective of the age, make or model, what are currently your 3
>> favorite muscle
>> cars and please separately say why, for each fave one named. You don't
>> have to
>> offer only ultra technical-mechanical reasons, but it's fine if that
>> stuff is mentioned.

> 1. Dual Quad Hemi Cuda - Cutie with monstrous power to weight ratio.

Not a muscle car... a 'pony car'. If the first Cudas had beat the first
Mustangs in popularity... 'pony cars' would be known as 'fish cars'!

> 2. ZL-1 Camaro with L88/89 aluminum engine - If you have to ask ...

Not a muscle car... a 'pony car'.

> 3. Tri-Power 427 Stingray fastback with chambered side pipes -
> Sleek beauty with performance.and sound to match

Not a muscle car... a sports car.

A muscle car is defined as an American intermediate size car (in their basic,
bottom line 6 cylinder state, they were purchased by nuns and church ladies
etc.), which had the largest most powerful engine that the manufacture had in
inventory, jammed into the engine compartment. Names, badges, letters of
alphbet etc., denoting performance were attached to the body work.The
Pontiac GTO is regarded as the first muscle car.

As kids in the 1960's, when we heard one approaching, we would stand on
either side of the road and pretend that we were flag men at the starting
line of a race track. We would gesture to the approaching car with our
imaginary race flags. Most didn't disappoint by not opening the 4, 6, 8, or
whatever number of barrels they had under the hood! We would not do this
close to school, lest the nuns were to see us... they were just too scary,
almost the same kind of scary as riding in a muscle car at full chat!

Old April 4th 11, 09:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.driving,aus.cars,rec.autos.driving
Lil Abner

On 4/4/2011 4:33 PM, Lil Abner wrote:
> On 4/4/2011 4:39 AM, Jeff wrote:
>> Irrespective of the age, make or model, what are currently your 3
>> favorite muscle
>> cars and please separately say why, for each fave one named. You don't
>> have to
>> offer only ultra technical-mechanical reasons, but it's fine if that
>> stuff is mentioned.
>>

> 68 Dodge Charger Hemi or Cuda hemi
> 64 Ford Galaxie 427
> 69 Buick GS455
> Olds 442
> Nova SS396(402)
> Camaro SS427
> ChevyII 350 375 HP
> Chevelle 427
> AMC Rebel dog Leg port 401
> Mercedes SL63,SL65
> Ford Mustang 429 Boss
> 69 Fairlane 390 or 427
> The list is endless.
> At the time we had whatever you had was the baddest.
> They were all Bitchin and a lot more.
> Right now The Mustang and Camaro etc just don't have it.
> Before anyone says their Toyota will out run them they need to find one
> in tune. They don't have six and seven speeds etc. If they had evolved
> they would be pushing 800 hp. Instead we have emissions engines.
> If it wasn't for the exhaust sound tuning and cat the things would sound
> like chain saws with fart cannons.
> The fuel injection etc is tuned per EPA and NHTSA.
> There is no substitute for torque.

Sorry I exceed 3.
Old April 4th 11, 10:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.driving,aus.cars,rec.autos.driving
M.A. Stewart

Lil Abner ) writes:
> On 4/4/2011 4:33 PM, Lil Abner wrote:
>> On 4/4/2011 4:39 AM, Jeff wrote:
>>> Irrespective of the age, make or model, what are currently your 3
>>> favorite muscle
>>> cars and please separately say why, for each fave one named. You don't
>>> have to
>>> offer only ultra technical-mechanical reasons, but it's fine if that
>>> stuff is mentioned.
>>>

>> 68 Dodge Charger Hemi or Cuda hemi
>> 64 Ford Galaxie 427
>> 69 Buick GS455
>> Olds 442
>> Nova SS396(402)
>> Camaro SS427
>> ChevyII 350 375 HP
>> Chevelle 427
>> AMC Rebel dog Leg port 401
>> Mercedes SL63,SL65
>> Ford Mustang 429 Boss
>> 69 Fairlane 390 or 427
>> The list is endless.
>> At the time we had whatever you had was the baddest.
>> They were all Bitchin and a lot more.
>> Right now The Mustang and Camaro etc just don't have it.
>> Before anyone says their Toyota will out run them they need to find one
>> in tune. They don't have six and seven speeds etc. If they had evolved
>> they would be pushing 800 hp. Instead we have emissions engines.
>> If it wasn't for the exhaust sound tuning and cat the things would sound
>> like chain saws with fart cannons.
>> The fuel injection etc is tuned per EPA and NHTSA.
>> There is no substitute for torque.
>>

> Sorry I exceed 3.

Including 5 which are not muscle cars.

Old April 4th 11, 10:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.driving,aus.cars,rec.autos.driving
Lil Abner

On 4/4/2011 5:02 PM, M.A. Stewart wrote:
> Lil Abner ) writes:
>>>>
>>> 68 Dodge Charger Hemi or Cuda hemi
>>> 64 Ford Galaxie 427
>>> 69 Buick GS455
>>> Olds 442
>>> Nova SS396(402)
>>> Camaro SS427
>>> ChevyII 350 375 HP
>>> Chevelle 427
>>> AMC Rebel dog Leg port 401
>>> Mercedes SL63,SL65
>>> Ford Mustang 429 Boss
>>> 69 Fairlane 390 or 427
>>> The list is endless.
>>> At the time we had whatever you had was the baddest.
>>> They were all Bitchin and a lot more.
>>> Right now The Mustang and Camaro etc just don't have it.
>>> Before anyone says their Toyota will out run them they need to find one
>>> in tune. They don't have six and seven speeds etc. If they had evolved
>>> they would be pushing 800 hp. Instead we have emissions engines.
>>> If it wasn't for the exhaust sound tuning and cat the things would sound
>>> like chain saws with fart cannons.
>>> The fuel injection etc is tuned per EPA and NHTSA.
>>> There is no substitute for torque.
>>>

>> Sorry I exceed 3.

> Including 5 which are not muscle cars.

Say what? I owned most, of them and drove buddies that owned others and
more.
Some were sleepers.
I left out my wife's favorite a 71 340 Duster, last of the hot rods.
390 gears rattling baffle, in the oil pan.
I don't know where to draw the line. The Galaxie was heavy but anyone
here would agree, after driving it was bitchin.
The 409 Chevy was not quite as strong as the 396 Chevelle but it was a
heavier car too.
i would like to have two of each, now and more. Like the 247 SOHC
Galaxie. There were a few of them.
The GS455 might not have been called a Super Car but it was.
Old April 4th 11, 10:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.driving,aus.cars,rec.autos.driving
Adrian

Lil Abner > gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

> 68 Dodge Charger Hemi or Cuda hemi
> 64 Ford Galaxie 427
> 69 Buick GS455
> Olds 442
> Nova SS396(402)
> Camaro SS427
> ChevyII 350 375 HP
> Chevelle 427
> AMC Rebel dog Leg port 401
> Mercedes SL63,SL65
> Ford Mustang 429 Boss
> 69 Fairlane 390 or 427
> The list is endless.

Is there the slightest hint of variety in it, or is this "endless" list
similarly repetitive?

Well, I s'pose the Merc is the exception that proves the rule.
Old April 4th 11, 10:46 PM posted to rec.autos.sport.nascar,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving
willy[_2_]

On Apr 4, 4:44*pm, (M.A. Stewart) wrote:

> The Pontiac GTO is regarded as the first muscle car.

Looks like it was the 1949 Oldsmobile Rocket 88.

Old April 4th 11, 10:58 PM posted to rec.autos.sport.nascar,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.driving
willy[_2_]

On Apr 4, 4:44*pm, (M.A. Stewart) wrote:
..

> > 1. Dual Quad Hemi Cuda - Cutie with monstrous power to weight ratio.

> Not a muscle car... a 'pony car'. If the first Cudas had beat the first
> Mustangs in popularity... 'pony cars' would be known as 'fish cars'!
>

> > 2. ZL-1 Camaro with L88/89 aluminum engine - If you have to ask ...

> Not a muscle car... a 'pony car'.

Cuda is definitely a muscle car. All though called "Pony Cars", clubs,
sites and I would think most people consider Mustang and Camaro a
muscle car. I do.
Old April 4th 11, 11:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,uk.rec.driving,aus.cars,rec.autos.driving
Lil Abner

On 4/4/2011 5:43 PM, Adrian wrote:
> Lil > gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
> saying:
>
>> 68 Dodge Charger Hemi or Cuda hemi
>> 64 Ford Galaxie 427
>> 69 Buick GS455
>> Olds 442
>> Nova SS396(402)
>> Camaro SS427
>> ChevyII 350 375 HP
>> Chevelle 427
>> AMC Rebel dog Leg port 401
>> Mercedes SL63,SL65
>> Ford Mustang 429 Boss
>> 69 Fairlane 390 or 427
>> The list is endless.

> Is there the slightest hint of variety in it, or is this "endless" list
> similarly repetitive?
>
> Well, I s'pose the Merc is the exception that proves the rule.

Variety? No I didn't include any Vegas.