86 accord failed smog... HELP/ADVICE

Old September 12th 06, 05:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Aaron[_3_]

Default 86 accord failed smog... HELP/ADVICE

took it to get smoged from my annual 2 year check and it failed....
the emission control systems all passed but the idle emission test
didn't oh by the way this is for a california smog
At Idle HC: Max 120 Me 204
CO: Max 1.00 Me 1.88
At 2500rpm HC: Max 150 Me 77
CO: Max 1.20 Me 1.73

Yeah so i have no idea what could be the cause any ideas? i'v heard
check air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs but i'm trying not to spend
a lot of cash on this... Suggestion?

Old September 12th 06, 06:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Matt Ion[_1_]

Aaron wrote:
> took it to get smoged from my annual 2 year check and it failed....
> the emission control systems all passed but the idle emission test
> didn't oh by the way this is for a california smog
> At Idle HC: Max 120 Me 204
> CO: Max 1.00 Me 1.88
> At 2500rpm HC: Max 150 Me 77
> CO: Max 1.20 Me 1.73
>
> Yeah so i have no idea what could be the cause any ideas? i'v heard
> check air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs but i'm trying not to spend
> a lot of cash on this... Suggestion?

This a carb or FI model (the fuel-injected ones have an "i" tacked on the model
name, like "EXi")?

You should always put in a new air filter and plugs when going for an emissions
test - if they're bad enough that they'll fail you the test, they're probably
costing you fuel economy as well, especially on a carbed car. A clogged fuel
filter will cause the car to run rich, failing the test and wasting fuel. Bad
plugs can cause misfires, failing the test and also wasting fuel. It won't take
long for that to cost you more than the price of the filter and plugs.

An oil change is also highly recommended before a smog test.
Old September 12th 06, 03:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

See

http://www.interro.com/techgas.html#anchoreleven ,
especially "Causes of Excess Emissions." The section on high
CO blames the engine control system. The section on high HCs
points to fouled plugs and/or old ignition wires.

www.interro.com/techgas.html#anchoreleven

Per the above sites and what they say about high CO and HCs,
I would start by replacing the PCV valve, spark plugs, and
wires.

You say you do not want to spend a lot of cash, but it sure
sounds like your poor ol' Honda would benefit a lot from a
tuneup. For one thing, your fuel mileage might increase a
lot. For another, the life of other, more expensive ignition
system parts can increase. Strongly consider performing all
of what's listed at
http://home.earthlink.net/~honda.lioness/id11.html .

"Aaron" > wrote

Old September 13th 06, 05:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
los via CarKB.com

If you are in California, Check out the CAP program
http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/ftp/pdff...P%20program%22
You apply and get approved to use one of a list of authorized garages.
You pay $100 and they will do up to $500 worth of work to get you to pass.
Usually, bad O2 sensors are the cause. If they are over 50k miles, they are
suspect. You can get them pretty cheap but the install can be a pain. It
often requires a special wrench and skill at cracking siezed nuts.

You could need a new CAT as well. My CAT and O2 sensors on my 89 accord went
bad for the first time at about 200,000 miles.

Good luck.
-c

Old September 13th 06, 02:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

"los via CarKB.com" <u26415@uwe> wrote
> Usually, bad O2 sensors are the cause. If they are over
> 50k miles,

Maybe put a time limit on them, too. :-)

> they are
> suspect. You can get them pretty cheap but the install
> can be a pain.

Hey now, my impression (from removing my old 91 Civic's
sensor a few times and reports here) is changing out the O2
sensor is almost always very easy. One may borrow an O2
sensor wrench from Autozone for a fully refundable deposit.
A little PB Blaster (worst case), and that sensor comes off
no problem.

I do second that a new, OEM O2 sensor for older Hondas is
cheap. It's under $40 total at
https://www.automedicsupply.com/ . I used the latter a few
years ago. Service was great. The new (OEM Denso) O2 sensor
works great. 40+ mpg most of the year, suburban driving and
45+mpg at 65 mph cruise control windows open summer driving.