Shakes

Old June 6th 05, 07:36 PM
Princess418

Default Shakes

Please help!!! I have a 2001 Cabrio. Two months ago I had my car
inspected and complained that it was shaking when I drived it. I had
an alignment done and the rotors resurfaced. After, about a month I
toke the car back to the same place that did the orginal work and
complained of the same shakes but it feels worse then before. So it
was suggested to get new tires which I did. I still feel the shaking
but it only happens when I go over 55mph and I am starting to feel
uncomfortable to drive it. Does anyone know what it could be ??? I
was thinking the rotors were not resurfaced correctly. Also, is this
a expensive problem??? I have already spent almost a $1,000 on this
problem. Thanks for your help.

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Volkswagen...ict122513.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=595856
Old June 6th 05, 10:43 PM
Nathan Lucas

i'm assuming 'rotors' are brake discs? warped discs should only give you a
vibration under braking. it could be due to play in any of the front
suspension joints, an out of balance wheel, a damaged or bent wheel, a
deformed tyre.....
news:1_595856_e9bc7f5d0f5e599a853e401e97da9623@aut oforumz.com...

Old June 8th 05, 04:34 AM
who_me

Princess418 > wrote:
> Please help!!! I have a 2001 Cabrio. Two months ago I had my car
> inspected and complained that it was shaking when I drived it. I had
> an alignment done and the rotors resurfaced. After, about a month I
> toke the car back to the same place that did the orginal work and
> complained of the same shakes but it feels worse then before. So it
> was suggested to get new tires which I did. I still feel the shaking
> but it only happens when I go over 55mph and I am starting to feel
> uncomfortable to drive it. Does anyone know what it could be ??? I
> was thinking the rotors were not resurfaced correctly. Also, is this
> a expensive problem??? I have already spent almost a $1,000 on this
> problem. Thanks for your help.

Resurfacing rotors is a bad idea, if they are truly "warped", the best
thing to do is replace both the rotors and pads and properly break them
in. "Warping" is caused by allowing the pads to touch the rotor when
its not spinning when the rotor is hot. In otherwords, if you have to
stop hard try to avoid coming to a complete stop. The rotors are not
going to cause the car to shake if the brakes aren't applied. Also,
you should make sure that all nug bolts are properly torqued, 80 ft lbs
is good. I suppose its conceivable a dragging brake could also cause
shaking, but thats less likely.

There are a large number of possible problems, some of which could be very
hazardous, others could be non-critical. The cost to repair completely
depends on the problem, but they could include:

1) Worn out suspension components (ball joints, tie rod ends, strut bearings)
2) Improperly torqued bolts/nuts on suspension components
3) Improperly torqued lug bolts
4) Defective tire
5) Defective wheel
6) Improperly balanced tire/wheel assembly
7) Improper alignment
8) Car is not straight (should be detectable when they do an alignment)

It shouldn't be hard to find the problem, maybe you need to find a better
mechanic. Usually, if the problem is simply a vibration at high speed
its tires, wheels, balance or improperly torqued lug bolts.

dan
Old June 9th 05, 01:52 AM
Rob Guenther

All good advice, except for the lb-ft number for tightening the bolts... The
torque figure will be printed in the owners manual, and sometimes on a
sticker in the car or on the hub itself... Reason I say 80lb-ft isn't
adequate is because on my VW it's something like 88, and on my Volvo it's
only 65, some cars it's over 90, on Rolls Royce/Bently, it's something
really low, like 45 (and the knock offs on Ferrari's are something absurd
like 400) if I recall (had this discussion at a tire shop when I told a
friend of mine my Volvo only gets torqued to 65, he's used to at least
90.... they had a chart of every make and model so they could adjust their
torque wrenches accordingly).

Old June 21st 05, 07:36 AM
72yellow

"who_me" wrote:
> Princess418 > wrote:
> > Please help!!! I have a 2001 Cabrio. Two months ago I had

> my car
> > inspected and complained that it was shaking when I drived

> it. I had
> > an alignment done and the rotors resurfaced. After, about a

> month I
> > toke the car back to the same place that did the orginal

> work and
> > complained of the same shakes but it feels worse then

> before. So it
> > was suggested to get new tires which I did. I still feel

> the shaking
> > but it only happens when I go over 55mph and I am starting

> to feel
> > uncomfortable to drive it. Does anyone know what it could

> be ??? I
> > was thinking the rotors were not resurfaced correctly.

> Also, is this
> > a expensive problem??? I have already spent almost a $1,000

> on this
> > problem. Thanks for your help.

> Resurfacing rotors is a bad idea, if they are truly "warped",
> the best
> thing to do is replace both the rotors and pads and properly
> break them
> in. "Warping" is caused by allowing the pads to touch the
> rotor when
> its not spinning when the rotor is hot. In otherwords, if you
> have to
> stop hard try to avoid coming to a complete stop. The rotors
> are not
> going to cause the car to shake if the brakes aren't applied.
> Also,
> you should make sure that all nug bolts are properly torqued,
> 80 ft lbs
> is good. I suppose its conceivable a dragging brake could
> also cause
> shaking, but thats less likely.
>
> There are a large number of possible problems, some of which
> could be very
> hazardous, others could be non-critical. The cost to repair
> completely
> depends on the problem, but they could include:
>
> 1) Worn out suspension components (ball joints, tie rod ends,
> strut bearings)
> 2) Improperly torqued bolts/nuts on suspension components
> 3) Improperly torqued lug bolts
> 4) Defective tire
> 5) Defective wheel
> 6) Improperly balanced tire/wheel assembly
> 7) Improper alignment
> 8) Car is not straight (should be detectable when they do an
> alignment)
>
> It shouldn't be hard to find the problem, maybe you need to
> find a better
> mechanic. Usually, if the problem is simply a vibration at
> high speed
> its tires, wheels, balance or improperly torqued lug bolts.
>
> dan

does improper torque cause a further problem besides shaking? I have
similar problem and jus beginning to look into it. I had a flat tire
and found out I couldn’t get the tire off because it was put on too
tightly. Have been a little nervous that this has caused another
problem.

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Volkswagen...ict122513.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=611008