air conditioner stopped on '98 Mercury Sable stationwagon- help?

Old July 24th 05, 09:46 PM
Jon Hightower

Default air conditioner stopped on '98 Mercury Sable stationwagon- help?

The air conditioner stopped working today in my 98 Mercury Sable
Stationwagon. I checked vent and all other functions and they ceased
working too. I checked both the interior and exterior fuses for the blower
or anything I could think of relating to the AC and they all check good.
There are relays in the exterior box too, but don't know how to check those.
Any suggestions as to what this could be? I am in the process of
interviewing for new jobs and I must have this working again right away-
otherwise I'm a sweatshop when I show up in suit for interviews! So any
advice would be appreciated!

thanks,
JH

Old July 24th 05, 11:14 PM
Professor

Can I assume you are saying the blower is inoperative?

Professor
www.telstar-electronics.com

Old July 24th 05, 11:55 PM
Jon Hightower

Correct, on no settings will the blower/fan run.

ups.com...

Old July 25th 05, 12:11 AM
Professor

Well... sounds like either no power to blower beacause of AC/heater
mode switch isn't closing... or the blower motor is open. The next
diagnostic I would perform is to check for voltage at blower motor. If
there is voltage... then the blower is open. If no voltage... then the
switch is a distinct possibility. Hope that helps.

Old July 25th 05, 06:57 PM
Jon Hightower

"Professor" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Well... sounds like either no power to blower beacause of AC/heater
> mode switch isn't closing... or the blower motor is open. The next
> diagnostic I would perform is to check for voltage at blower motor. If
> there is voltage... then the blower is open. If no voltage... then the
> switch is a distinct possibility. Hope that helps.

Thanks, Professor. Yes, it helps, but of course I lack a service manual to
figure out how to get to the blower. All the fuses were good, but of course
the motor could be open and nothing else would be blown. My mechanic will
be looking at it on Thurs. Unfortunately, it will be 97 degrees here
tomorrow which is when my interview is scheduled but I will just have to
deal with it.

Thanks again,
Jon