1991 Golf won't start.

Old October 12th 04, 12:19 AM
zoara

Default 1991 Golf won't start.

I bought a cheap (200 quid) 1991 Golf 4+E a couple of weeks ago, so
wasn't that surprised when it stopped working. The previous owner told
us it was due for a service but I ended up driving it more than I should
have before looking at it, and I think I killed it.

I've only ever tinkered with Beetles before, so this "engine in the
front" business is alien to me. Note that I haven't had chance to take a
good (greasy) look at it yet, though the time I did have a look I just
kind of stood there wondering where to start.

From when we bought it, it's been temperamental starting from cold -
would often take a few seconds and lots of gas, maybe a couple of
attempts too. Then it would cut out when idling (or even revving low)
unless warmed by revving reasonably high for a minute or so before
setting off. Even then, it was sluggish at gear changes until warm.
After warming up it would rev quite high (2000 RPM?) at idle. It was
also prone to overheating (though we only took it out maybe five or ten
times on short journeys, so it's difficult to know).

The last dying gasp was when there was a *lot* of steam coming out of
the bonnet (something I'm not used to as an ex-Beetle nut) and once it
cooled down it wouldn't go any more. It starts - the engine turns over
fine - but dies when the revs go below 1500 (?) RPM, even if the engine
has been warmed up through revving.

Battery is OK (or should be, it's been recharged a few days back). Oil
levels checked out a few days ago (though it does need changing). Water
level is OK. Fan next to radiator seems to jam (which probably explains
the overheating but not the non-starting). Engine has always had a hot
smell to it after being driven. There's what looks like an air-hose
missing from what I presume to be the the air filter unit down to the
front driver side of the under-bonnet (I presume this is an air
intake?). There's another air hose below and behind this which is not
securely attached at the engine end (I have no idea what this does).

My guesses are as follows:
1. The automatic choke is buggered and needs replacing/tweaking
2. The engine is being starved of air because of the missing air hose
3. The engine is overheating because the fan is jamming and not cooling
the water down

I hope that after these three are investigated (2 being easiest, 3 being
a case of suck it and see, and 1 being "how and where the hell?") it
will start OK. Probably.

Am I on the right lines? How tricky will each of the above be (and where
is the choke, anyway?). Are there any online resources to get orientated
with the car?

What else should I look at?

Thanks,

-zoara-
--
The iBook saga continues... last updated Thu 7/10/04 (day 73)
Could it all finally be over?
Old October 12th 04, 03:25 AM
Matt B.

"zoara" > wrote in message

> I bought a cheap (200 quid) 1991 Golf 4+E a couple of weeks ago, so
> wasn't that surprised when it stopped working. The previous owner told
> us it was due for a service but I ended up driving it more than I should
> have before looking at it, and I think I killed it.

What engine is this? Look on the head below and between the 3rd and 4th
spark plugs. There's a flat area with a serial number on it. What's the
first two characters of the serial number? This will identify the engine
family.

Diesel or gas? Carburetor or fuel injection?