DexCool

Old March 8th 06, 02:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default DexCool

What experience have people in this group had with GM's dexcool. My sons
Jimmy started to leak at the manifold and the dealer said it was because of
the dexcool antifreeze used, of course GM said the dealer was wrong.

Jack

Old March 8th 06, 02:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Jack Hayes" > wrote in message
> What experience have people in this group had with GM's dexcool. My sons
> Jimmy started to leak at the manifold and the dealer said it was because

of
> the dexcool antifreeze used, of course GM said the dealer was wrong.
>
> Jack

This has been one of the longest threads on this newsgroup.

Here is, in a nutshell, what I think we believe about DexCool:
(I) Certain GM engines have problems that will likely lead to leakage,
regardless
of what coolant is used. These include certain 3800 V6's, and the 2.8,3.1,
3.4 V6's.
The 3800 problem is different from the other series. It can leak because of
deteriorated plastic FI plenum and has nothing to do with Dexcool.

(II)The other V6 series most likely leaks because of (1) some basic design
problems
and (2) because of the use of a gasket which does not hold up well. It has
been
claimed that this happened when GM went to a gasket that no longer contained
asbestos. Others claim Dexcool is involved. I rather doubt that Dexcool
is
the culprit, but others swear it is.

Old March 8th 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Seconded on all counts.
et...

Old March 9th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Didn't Honda, Chrysler and Ford all nix Dexcool several years ago due to
increased incidence of gasket leaks when testing the stuff? I thought I
read that somewhere 4-5 (or more) years ago.

GM has a bad habit of allowing their corporate ego about a decision get
between them and what the ultimate realities turn out to be (just
personal experience). That could be the case here,...Dexcool be damned!
Old March 9th 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Jack Hayes wrote:

> What experience have people in this group had with GM's dexcool. My sons
> Jimmy started to leak at the manifold and the dealer said it was because of
> the dexcool antifreeze used, of course GM said the dealer was wrong.

I've been using it in my 1992 Escort ever since it became available.
So far, so good, despite the 1.9L Ford engine rather than the nice 1.8L
Mazda one.

I don't know what engine your son's Jimmy has, but if it's the 3.4L
V-6, isn't there a secret warranty about the the famous intake manifold
coolant leak problem?

Old March 9th 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

larry moe 'n curly wrote:

> I've been using it in my 1992 Escort ever since it became available.
> So far, so good, despite the 1.9L Ford engine rather than the nice 1.8L
> Mazda one.

You might want to see if some hick will swap you his complete 1.8
engine, harnass, and ECM. There's got to be someone out there that
thinks "Murican is better!' even in this specific instance.

Toyota MDT in MO

Old March 9th 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Edward Strauss wrote:
> Comboverfish > wrote:
>
> > larry moe 'n curly wrote:

> > > I've been using it in my 1992 Escort ever since it became available.
> > > So far, so good, despite the 1.9L Ford engine rather than the nice 1.8L
> > > Mazda one.

> > You might want to see if some hick will swap you his complete 1.8
> > engine, harnass, and ECM. There's got to be someone out there that
> > thinks "Murican is better!' even in this specific instance.

> He should swap out something that roughly 14 years old and doing fine
> cause Jiponesse is better?

I rarely drive the thing above 45 MPH anyway, and for 0-30 the 1.9L
accelerates just as fast as the 1.8L. Plus the 1.9L doesn't bang
valves if the timing belt fails. Rationalizing, rationalizing.

Old March 9th 06, 09:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Edward Strauss wrote:

> He should swap out something that roughly 14 years old and doing fine
> cause Jiponesse is better?

You don't know much about these two engines, do you? Go ask someone
that does know about the Ford 1.9. Ask them what a total piece of ****
it is. Then try to find someone who can tell you one legitimate
engineering problem with the 1.8 engine.

I do like some Jiponeese (sic) vehicles, I like some Domestics, too.
Please reread where I typed "in this specific instance" to grasp the
correct context of the message. Also factor in sarcasm, if that's
possible.

Toyota MDT in MO

Old March 9th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006, Jack Hayes wrote:

> What experience have people in this group had with GM's dexcool.

VERY bad. The stuff is highly aggressive to many gasket and seal
materials, even those specifically (nominally) designed for it.

> My sons Jimmy started to leak at the manifold and the dealer said it was
> because of the dexcool antifreeze used

It was due to GM's shoddy design and build, *aggravated* by Dexcool.

> of course GM said the dealer was wrong.

Of course GM said the dealer was wrong. Dexcool is a real problem child
for GM.

DS
Old March 10th 06, 06:41 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Mar 2006, Jack Hayes wrote:

>>What experience have people in this group had with GM's dexcool.

>VERY bad. The stuff is highly aggressive to many gasket and seal
>materials, even those specifically (nominally) designed for it.

>>My sons Jimmy started to leak at the manifold and the dealer said it was
>>because of the dexcool antifreeze used

>It was due to GM's shoddy design and build, *aggravated* by Dexcool.

>Of course GM said the dealer was wrong. Dexcool is a real problem child
>for GM.

I'm sure my 1986 Corolla wasn't designed specifically for Dex-cool, but
I ran it in that car from the day it became available in retail stores
until I sold the car 2 years ago. I never had external leaks
(including crusting), sweet-smelling air from the vents, or a need to
top off the overflow tank more than usual. This wasn't an exceptional
case for Dex-cool because several company Chevy Novas and Geo Prizms
(same engine as Corollas, but maybe GM radiators), were also run with
Dex-cool, and a chemist who specializes in closed loop water cooling
systems ran periodic checks and said the corrosion levels were low.