2000 A3 brake pads - cost to replace?

Old May 19th 06, 02:22 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

Default 2000 A3 brake pads - cost to replace?

Any idea how much a Northern UK Audi dealer might charge to replace brake
pads, as my warning light just came on. The car has done 65K miles. Not
sure whether I should just take it to an independent garage I have used, any
advice there?

cheers

Alex

Old May 19th 06, 03:14 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

"Alex" > wrote in message
> Any idea how much a Northern UK Audi dealer might charge to replace brake
> pads, as my warning light just came on. The car has done 65K miles. Not
> sure whether I should just take it to an independent garage I have used,
> any
> advice there?
>
> cheers
>
> Alex

Front pads are so easy to change, you could do it yourself in 20 minutes.
The dealer will not charge more than that.

Ronald

Old May 20th 06, 09:40 AM posted to alt.autos.audi

R@L wrote:
> "Alex" > wrote in message
>> Any idea how much a Northern UK Audi dealer might charge to replace brake
>> pads, as my warning light just came on. The car has done 65K miles. Not
>> sure whether I should just take it to an independent garage I have used,
>> any
>> advice there?
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> Alex
>>

> Front pads are so easy to change, you could do it yourself in 20 minutes.
> The dealer will not charge more than that.
>
> Ronald

20 minutes is a bit optimistic if you've not done it before, and want to
spend some time cleaning up the calipers. It *is* easy though. I'd
estimate a dealer would probably sting you for about £80-100 including
parts.

Personally, I'd do it myself with parts from ECP or GSF: If you don't
fancy that, use the independent but insist on OE-quality pads- something
like Pagid. I changed discs and pads on my A3 including a very thorough
clean up, in a couple of hours, and the parts cost about £50 IIRC.
Old May 21st 06, 04:38 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

"Chris Bartram" > wrote in message
. uk...
> R@L wrote:
>> "Alex" > wrote in message
>>> Any idea how much a Northern UK Audi dealer might charge to replace
>>> brake
>>> pads, as my warning light just came on. The car has done 65K miles.
>>> Not
>>> sure whether I should just take it to an independent garage I have used,
>>> any
>>> advice there?
>>>
>>> cheers
>>>
>>> Alex
>>>

>> Front pads are so easy to change, you could do it yourself in 20 minutes.
>> The dealer will not charge more than that.
>>
>> Ronald

> 20 minutes is a bit optimistic if you've not done it before, and want to
> spend some time cleaning up the calipers. It *is* easy though. I'd
> estimate a dealer would probably sting you for about £80-100 including
> parts.
>
> Personally, I'd do it myself with parts from ECP or GSF: If you don't
> fancy that, use the independent but insist on OE-quality pads- something
> like Pagid. I changed discs and pads on my A3 including a very thorough
> clean up, in a couple of hours, and the parts cost about £50 IIRC.

And the rest

Labour in most Audi dealers is £100 an hour, plus parts plus VAT, don't
expect much change from £200

Old May 21st 06, 04:41 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

"Ronny" > wrote in message

> "Chris Bartram" > wrote in message
> . uk...
> > R@L wrote:

used,

> >> Front pads are so easy to change, you could do it yourself in 20

minutes.
> >> The dealer will not charge more than that.
> >>
> >> Ronald

> > 20 minutes is a bit optimistic if you've not done it before, and want to
> > spend some time cleaning up the calipers. It *is* easy though. I'd
> > estimate a dealer would probably sting you for about £80-100 including
> > parts.
> >
> > Personally, I'd do it myself with parts from ECP or GSF: If you don't
> > fancy that, use the independent but insist on OE-quality pads- something
> > like Pagid. I changed discs and pads on my A3 including a very thorough
> > clean up, in a couple of hours, and the parts cost about £50 IIRC.

> And the rest
>
> Labour in most Audi dealers is £100 an hour, plus parts plus VAT, don't
> expect much change from £200

And the danger of needing disks which may double it !

Richard

Old May 21st 06, 05:04 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

"Richard Goulding" > wrote in message

> "Ronny" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Chris Bartram" > wrote in message
>> . uk...

> used,

> minutes.

>> > 20 minutes is a bit optimistic if you've not done it before, and want
>> > spend some time cleaning up the calipers. It *is* easy though. I'd
>> > estimate a dealer would probably sting you for about £80-100 including
>> > parts.
>> >
>> > Personally, I'd do it myself with parts from ECP or GSF: If you don't
>> > fancy that, use the independent but insist on OE-quality pads-
>> > something
>> > like Pagid. I changed discs and pads on my A3 including a very thorough
>> > clean up, in a couple of hours, and the parts cost about £50 IIRC.

>> And the rest
>>
>> Labour in most Audi dealers is £100 an hour, plus parts plus VAT, don't
>> expect much change from £200

> And the danger of needing disks which may double it !
>
> Richard

plus the advice your rear pads are looking low & they recomend new disks all
round, been there!

Steve.

Old May 22nd 06, 03:21 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

"Steve68s" > wrote in message

> "Richard Goulding" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Ronny" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Chris Bartram" > wrote in message
> >> . uk...

miles.

> > used,

> > minutes.

including

thorough

> >> And the rest
> >>
> >> Labour in most Audi dealers is £100 an hour, plus parts plus VAT, don't
> >> expect much change from £200

> > And the danger of needing disks which may double it !
> >
> > Richard
> >

> plus the advice your rear pads are looking low & they recomend new disks

all
> round, been there!

I went to an independent: £273 for new discs (corroded) on front + 4 pads
and an MOT. Not too bad I suppose.

Old May 22nd 06, 05:24 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

"Alex" > wrote in message

> "Steve68s" > wrote in message

replace

> miles.

have
> > > used,

> > > minutes.

want

> including

don't

> thorough

don't

> > > And the danger of needing disks which may double it !
> > >
> > > Richard
> > >

> > plus the advice your rear pads are looking low & they recomend new disks

> all
> > round, been there!

> I went to an independent: £273 for new discs (corroded) on front + 4 pads
> and an MOT. Not too bad I suppose.

Wise decision to use an independent. I paid £200 for front disks and pads on
my A4 2.8 Quattro at an independent so your price sounds ok.

Richard

Old May 27th 06, 06:36 PM posted to alt.autos.audi

"Steve68s" > wrote in message

> "Richard Goulding" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Ronny" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Chris Bartram" > wrote in message
> >> . uk...

miles.

> > used,

> > minutes.

including

thorough

> >> And the rest
> >>
> >> Labour in most Audi dealers is £100 an hour, plus parts plus VAT, don't
> >> expect much change from £200

> > And the danger of needing disks which may double it !
> >
> > Richard
> >

> plus the advice your rear pads are looking low & they recomend new disks

all
> round, been there!
>
> Steve.

Slightly off topic...but not significantly so: My US spec 2000 A4 actually
wore through the rear pads before the fronts. At 75K miles, I still have the
original front pads in place with about 8mm of material left. You have to
keep an eye on them as the rear pads do not have a thickness sensor.

Regarding the rotors: as long as the OP tends to the matter soon, it's not
likely he will need them. That's the intent behind the sensor and warning
indicator.

Ken