Poetic Justice

Old August 14th 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Matthew Russotto

Default Poetic Justice

In article >,
Scott en Aztlán <newsgroup> wrote:
>Having a son who graduated high school a couple of years ago, I know
>EXACTLY how big a stigma it is for high school kids to ride the school
>bus these days. This judge is BRILLIANT - I hope to see her on the
>Supreme Court one day.
>
>http://www.chicagosuntimes.com/outpu...nws-bus14.html
>
>Punishment for teen drivers: riding the bus
>
>August 14, 2006
>
>PORTAGE, Ind. -- A judge fed up with teen traffic violators is hitting
>them where it hurts -- in the driver's seat -- by sentencing them to
>the embarrassment of riding the school bus.
>
>Porter Superior Judge Julia Jent got the idea after a girl in her
>court for a moving traffic violation appeared not to take seriously
>either the offense or the possible fine.
>
>The judge said she knew she had found a way to reach the teen after
>she ordered her to park her car and ride the school bus.
>
>''The girl cried outside my courtroom. I guess I found the right
>button,'' said Jent.
>
>Jent not only orders teens ages 16 to 18 to ride the school bus
>instead of driving to school -- she also warns their parents that they
>could be held in contempt if they drive their child to school.
>
>''Kid does crime, kid does time, and mom and dad can't get them out of
>it and don't have to feel guilty for not helping,'' Jent said.

Same problem with this as with pretty much all "creative" punishments
-- unequal justice under the law.

I'm sure the law doesn't prescribe "riding the school bus" as a
penalty for moving violations. I'm also a bit concerned that a judge
thinks that making the defendant cry is a proper measure of her sentencing.

>The judge has told every law enforcement agency in her jurisdiction
>that all moving traffic citations involving drivers age 16 to 18 must
>go before her.

There's that "unequal justice"

>If the teens are found guilty, she orders them to ride the bus instead
>of driving to school. If they comply, the case is dismissed.

Ahh. So there's how she gets around the lack of a prescribed penalty.

>If they don't -- and Jent has been checking with schools and bus
>drivers to make sure -- then the teens' licenses are suspended and
>they are fined.

And there's the unequal justice again. For violations in which an
adult would simply be fined, a teen faces suspension.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old August 14th 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
gpsman

Matthew Russotto wrote: <brevity snip>

> Same problem with this as with pretty much all "creative" punishments
> -- unequal justice under the law.

> And there's the unequal justice again. For violations in which an
> adult would simply be fined, a teen faces suspension.

Teen drivers with probationary licenses are not equal to adults with
permanent licenses.

The judge felt this particular teen didn't give a **** about any
monetary fine, Mom & Pop would just fork it over and the kid is only
slightly inconvenienced by having to appear in court (probably with a
pained expression) and therefore finds no reason to take traffic
violations seriously. Apparently, this kid wasn't even smart enough to
look contrite.

If my experience is any indicator the immature frequently feel they
should not be held accountable for their actions. If they are cited
for speeding, it's not their fault, it's the fault of the state for
"underposting" the speed limit.
-----

- gpsman

Old August 15th 06, 02:28 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
brink

"Matthew Russotto" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Scott en Aztlán <newsgroup> wrote:
>>Having a son who graduated high school a couple of years ago, I know
>>EXACTLY how big a stigma it is for high school kids to ride the school
>>bus these days. This judge is BRILLIANT - I hope to see her on the
>>Supreme Court one day.
>>
>>http://www.chicagosuntimes.com/outpu...nws-bus14.html
>>
>>Punishment for teen drivers: riding the bus
>>
>>August 14, 2006
>>
>>PORTAGE, Ind. -- A judge fed up with teen traffic violators is hitting
>>them where it hurts -- in the driver's seat -- by sentencing them to
>>the embarrassment of riding the school bus.
>>
>>Porter Superior Judge Julia Jent got the idea after a girl in her
>>court for a moving traffic violation appeared not to take seriously
>>either the offense or the possible fine.
>>
>>The judge said she knew she had found a way to reach the teen after
>>she ordered her to park her car and ride the school bus.
>>
>>''The girl cried outside my courtroom. I guess I found the right
>>button,'' said Jent.
>>
>>Jent not only orders teens ages 16 to 18 to ride the school bus
>>instead of driving to school -- she also warns their parents that they
>>could be held in contempt if they drive their child to school.
>>
>>''Kid does crime, kid does time, and mom and dad can't get them out of
>>it and don't have to feel guilty for not helping,'' Jent said.

> Same problem with this as with pretty much all "creative" punishments
> -- unequal justice under the law.
>
> I'm sure the law doesn't prescribe "riding the school bus" as a
> penalty for moving violations. I'm also a bit concerned that a judge
> thinks that making the defendant cry is a proper measure of her
> sentencing.
>
>>The judge has told every law enforcement agency in her jurisdiction
>>that all moving traffic citations involving drivers age 16 to 18 must
>>go before her.

> There's that "unequal justice"
>
>>If the teens are found guilty, she orders them to ride the bus instead
>>of driving to school. If they comply, the case is dismissed.

> Ahh. So there's how she gets around the lack of a prescribed penalty.
>
>>If they don't -- and Jent has been checking with schools and bus
>>drivers to make sure -- then the teens' licenses are suspended and
>>they are fined.

> And there's the unequal justice again. For violations in which an
> adult would simply be fined, a teen faces suspension.

Doesn't this go both ways? For cases in which an adult would do hard and
long prison time with a lifelong felony record, a teen might just end up in
Juvie and with a clean record upon adulthood.

brink

Old August 15th 06, 02:57 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Mike T.

"gpsman" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Matthew Russotto wrote: <brevity snip>
>>
>> Same problem with this as with pretty much all "creative" punishments
>> -- unequal justice under the law.

>> And there's the unequal justice again. For violations in which an
>> adult would simply be fined, a teen faces suspension.

> Teen drivers with probationary licenses are not equal to adults with
> permanent licenses.

Then you need to lobby to have the law changed in your state. When I was
14, I held the same class of license that I do now, several decades later.
No restrictions at all. -Dave

Old August 15th 06, 03:05 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Mike T.

> Doesn't this go both ways? For cases in which an adult would do hard and
> long prison time with a lifelong felony record, a teen might just end up
> in Juvie and with a clean record upon adulthood.
>
> brink

It used to be that way. Any more, DAs are pushing adult charges on kids as
young as 11, with adult sentences to match. -Dave

Old August 15th 06, 04:32 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Matthew Russotto

In article >,
brink > wrote:

>"Matthew Russotto" > wrote in message
>>
>> And there's the unequal justice again. For violations in which an
>> adult would simply be fined, a teen faces suspension.

>Doesn't this go both ways? For cases in which an adult would do hard and
>long prison time with a lifelong felony record, a teen might just end up in
>Juvie and with a clean record upon adulthood.

Unlikely; a 16-18 year old is likely to end up tried as an adult for such
a crime. In any case, traffic tickets aren't handled in the juvenile
justice systemm.
result in a fully-depreciated one.

Poetic Justice gpsman Driving 48 August 19th 06 04:26 PM
Poetic Justice Brent P[_1_] Driving 6 August 15th 06 02:27 AM
Poetic Justice Larry Bud Driving 3 August 14th 06 10:36 PM
Poetic Justice? Thomas Avery Driving 2 February 26th 06 04:06 PM
Poetic Justice at Last! Matthew Russotto Driving 20 February 23rd 05 10:04 PM