2000 HONDA CIVIC QUESTION

Old April 5th 05, 09:05 PM
Subhabrata Bhattacharyya

Default 2000 HONDA CIVIC QUESTION

Hi,

60000 mile maintenance is due for my Honda Civic 2000, 4 door sedan. My
question is whether it is advisable to go to a mechanic who has a machine
that pressure cleans and fills the Transmission fluids (Colonial Auto, $449)
or go to another mechanic (Brown's auto, $320) who does not have that
machine and does it in the regular way.

My concern is that the torque lock converter oil will not get changed if it
is not pressure cleaned. However, Honda does not say anything about this
issue. Also, the pressure clean costs more money. The question is whether it
is worth it.

Group please help!
SB

Old April 6th 05, 12:27 AM
SoCalMike

Subhabrata Bhattacharyya wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 60000 mile maintenance is due for my Honda Civic 2000, 4 door sedan. My
> question is whether it is advisable to go to a mechanic who has a machine
> that pressure cleans and fills the Transmission fluids (Colonial Auto, $449)
> or go to another mechanic (Brown's auto, $320) who does not have that
> machine and does it in the regular way.

what else is involved? thats a lot of $$$.

Old April 6th 05, 03:57 AM
justinreigle (at) gmail (dot) com

Sounds to me like you're getting ripped off. The local Honda dealer
here charges 150 for full tranny service. They also use compressed air
to empty the fluid from the ATF cooler and T.C.. Takes them 25 minutes.

As SoCalMike asked, what else is involved? Full 60k service, tranny
fluid change included?

- Justin

Old April 6th 05, 04:28 AM
jim beam

Subhabrata Bhattacharyya wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 60000 mile maintenance is due for my Honda Civic 2000, 4 door sedan. My
> question is whether it is advisable to go to a mechanic who has a machine
> that pressure cleans and fills the Transmission fluids (Colonial Auto, $449)
> or go to another mechanic (Brown's auto, $320) who does not have that
> machine and does it in the regular way.
>
> My concern is that the torque lock converter oil will not get changed if it
> is not pressure cleaned. However, Honda does not say anything about this
> issue. Also, the pressure clean costs more money. The question is whether it
> is worth it.
>
> Group please help!
> SB

does your driving qualify as extreme service? if not, don't waste your
money. the fluid's good for 120,000 miles in normal service. taking it
to the /wrong/ service station & getting contamination from incorrect
fluid residues are far more of a risk than leaving "old" fluid in there.

Old April 6th 05, 05:15 AM
Subhabrata Bhattacharyya

It involves full 60 k service including all the fluids except the brake
fluids. They said they will flush the coolant which takes care of the
radiator and the heat core. Also, they will change the oil and the filter,
AT fluid, fuel filter, spark plugs. Also, general inspection.
So should I do it piece by piece? Some of the things like the air filter
etc. I changed myself and do not need to be changed.
I wanted to do it from one of the AAA authorized people to get my coupon
work!
SB

"justinreigle (at) gmail (dot) com" > wrote in
message ups.com...

Old April 6th 05, 07:34 AM
SoCalMike

Subhabrata Bhattacharyya wrote:
> It involves full 60 k service including all the fluids except the brake

brake/clutch fluids, IMO are some of the most important. old fluid picks
up water from the air and helps promote rust. i change mine every 3
years, along with the coolant, plugs, air filter, oil/filter (if needed
at the time. the fuel filter should last a lifetime.

> fluids. They said they will flush the coolant which takes care of the
> radiator and the heat core. Also, they will change the oil and the filter,
> AT fluid, fuel filter, spark plugs. Also, general inspection.
> So should I do it piece by piece? Some of the things like the air filter
> etc. I changed myself and do not need to be changed.
> I wanted to do it from one of the AAA authorized people to get my coupon
> work!

is your dealer AAA authorized?

Old April 8th 05, 06:15 PM
Subhabrata Bhattacharyya