Speed governor question

Old September 24th 04, 08:45 PM
Alex Rodriguez

Default Speed governor question

In article >,
pamtrap says...
>I'm thinking about buying a 2005 VP 5 speed 115 hp Coupe, but I test drove a

04
>LX demo 'cause they didn't have any 05s in stock with the same 5 speed stick
>setup and did a top end run on the expressway to "see what it'll do". It ran
>fine up through the gears, even chirped the tires when hitting 2nd, but then I
>hit the speed governor at 113 mph, which was the same as reported by Car and
>Driver in their test of a 2001 model. I liked the car, it rode well and was
>relatively quiet but there was plenty of motor left at 113 mph. What can the
>1.7 liter 115 hp VP reach in top speed, and how do I disconnect the governor?
>My 2000 Celica could get to 130 with the 140 hp motor, I'd figure the 115 hp
>could at least hit 120.

Usually cars have limiters because of the manufacturers choice of times.
They only let the car get up to the max speed of the tire. If Honda has
an option for higher speed rated tires, then that model should come with
the limiter disabled.
-------------
Alex

Old September 25th 04, 05:17 AM
Sean D

"Terry" > wrote in message
.. .
> pamtrap (MarcKyle64) wrote in message

> > I'm thinking about buying a 2005 VP 5 speed 115 hp Coupe, but I test

drove a 04
> > LX demo 'cause they didn't have any 05s in stock with the same 5 speed

stick
> > setup and did a top end run on the expressway to "see what it'll do".

It ran
> > fine up through the gears, even chirped the tires when hitting 2nd, but

then I
> > hit the speed governor at 113 mph, which was the same as reported by Car

and
> > Driver in their test of a 2001 model. I liked the car, it rode well and

was
> > relatively quiet but there was plenty of motor left at 113 mph. What

can the
> > 1.7 liter 115 hp VP reach in top speed, and how do I disconnect the

governor?
> > My 2000 Celica could get to 130 with the 140 hp motor, I'd figure the

115 hp
> > could at least hit 120.

> The rev limit is programed into the ECM.
> You will need an after market ECM, or find out
> how to reprogram yours.
> My 1990 ECM is rather simple and does not
> note what gear you are in. But I am told by friends
> who trick out their cars that newwer ECMs note
> all sorts of things, what gear, max RPM, sustained
> max RPM etc. And The ECM also records stores
> this data so Honda can see if a driver missed
> a shift and, for example, drops from forth to first.
> In an accident,a lot of police departments and insurance
> campanies can read data from the ECM which will show
> throttle position, brake status, RPM, speed, gear, etc
> for the last 30 seconds(or so) before and accident.
> I wouldn't be surprised if a dealer read the data from
> an ECM after ever test drive.
> ECM=Engine Control Module=computer
> Ain't technology wonderfull?!
> Terry

Actually, the recorder that cops are using a lot is the Event Data Recorder
that is part of the SRS Airbag system, not the ECU of the car. The event
data recorders record the last few seconds prior to the crash and the car's
computer uses that information to determine if and at what intencity to
deploy the airbags.

Old October 5th 04, 04:12 AM
MarcKyle64

>This should read 'manufacturers choice or tires'. Sorry about the typo.

AFAIK, Honda doesn't offer a choice, any opinions on which type of EMC chip to
buy, what is the pro vs con of doing this? How much should I pay?