LED lights on cars. TOO BRIGHT!!!

Old May 8th 13, 02:02 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
gregz

Default LED lights on cars. TOO BRIGHT!!!

Nate Nagel > wrote:
> On 05/03/2013 07:01 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:
>> On Thu, 02 May 2013 14:38:32 -0400, "Steve W." >
>> wrote:

>>> Between the ricers with the "HID conversions" the 12" lifted diesels
>>> with the "HID look bulbs" and the tech geeks running the LED conversion
>>> lights (all of which skirt the legal boundaries) it is getting to the
>>> point I think they should just start making the headlamps permanent
>>> pieces in the vehicle. That or the inspectors who pass these things out
>>> to lose their tags and any cop that sees them should be allowed to smash
>>> the damn things.

>> I've got a 1960 Dodge with the old quad sealed beams and they are
>> excellent headlights, better then the specially designed to fit the
>> body ones on my 92 Explorer, on my 99 GT, the 02 Malibu or any number
>> of other newer cars I've owned or used. The only ones that are as
>> good are (surprisingly) the ones in my 09 PT Cruiser. I have very
>> limited experience with E-code lights but on the occasions I've ridden
>> with my brother in law in his various 5-series BMW's I've been very
>> unimpressed with the BMW's supposedly superior headlights. On low
>> beam they are abysmal to the point of dangerous and on high beam
>> nothing special compared to the best I've seen on my cars.
>>

> If your '60 still has the original sealed beams they are probably better
> quality than anything available (in the same format) today. I made a
> similar observation about a low mileage '62 Studebaker I had a few years back.
>
> I'm surprised that you weren't impressed with the BMW's headlights; I've
> yet to drive a Bimmer that didn't have good lights. Unless he modified
> it though, they're not E-codes in the US. If it's an E28 5er it probably
> had sealed beams! (but modern ones made to much lower quality standards
> than the old ones...)
>
> I really like the (US-spec) headlights in my '09 3er, they're actually impressive to me.
>
> nate

I remember changing my 77 280Z sealed beams to halogen sealed beams. They
seemed better. The pattern was different. I've never noticed oncoming
problem with chevy trucks, but my 2007 avalanche lights are the best I've
ever used. Light to spare. Being higher up in the air is an advantage for
distance.

Greg
Old May 8th 13, 02:11 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 05/07/2013 06:02 PM, gregz wrote:
> Nate Nagel > wrote:
>> On 05/03/2013 07:01 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

>>> I've got a 1960 Dodge with the old quad sealed beams and they are
>>> excellent headlights, better then the specially designed to fit the
>>> body ones on my 92 Explorer, on my 99 GT, the 02 Malibu or any number
>>> of other newer cars I've owned or used. The only ones that are as
>>> good are (surprisingly) the ones in my 09 PT Cruiser. I have very
>>> limited experience with E-code lights but on the occasions I've ridden
>>> with my brother in law in his various 5-series BMW's I've been very
>>> unimpressed with the BMW's supposedly superior headlights. On low
>>> beam they are abysmal to the point of dangerous and on high beam
>>> nothing special compared to the best I've seen on my cars.
>>>

>> If your '60 still has the original sealed beams they are probably better
>> quality than anything available (in the same format) today. I made a
>> similar observation about a low mileage '62 Studebaker I had a few years back.
>>
>> I'm surprised that you weren't impressed with the BMW's headlights; I've
>> yet to drive a Bimmer that didn't have good lights. Unless he modified
>> it though, they're not E-codes in the US. If it's an E28 5er it probably
>> had sealed beams! (but modern ones made to much lower quality standards
>> than the old ones...)
>>
>> I really like the (US-spec) headlights in my '09 3er, they're actually impressive to me.
>>
>> nate

> I remember changing my 77 280Z sealed beams to halogen sealed beams. They
> seemed better. The pattern was different. I've never noticed oncoming
> problem with chevy trucks, but my 2007 avalanche lights are the best I've
> ever used. Light to spare. Being higher up in the air is an advantage for
> distance.

a giant pita for car users though. being followed by an suv at night,
they may as well be on high beams if you're lower than them.

--
fact check required
Old May 8th 13, 04:22 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
gregz

jim beam > wrote:
> On 05/07/2013 06:02 PM, gregz wrote:
>> Nate Nagel > wrote:

>>> If your '60 still has the original sealed beams they are probably better
>>> quality than anything available (in the same format) today. I made a
>>> similar observation about a low mileage '62 Studebaker I had a few years back.
>>>
>>> I'm surprised that you weren't impressed with the BMW's headlights; I've
>>> yet to drive a Bimmer that didn't have good lights. Unless he modified
>>> it though, they're not E-codes in the US. If it's an E28 5er it probably
>>> had sealed beams! (but modern ones made to much lower quality standards
>>> than the old ones...)
>>>
>>> I really like the (US-spec) headlights in my '09 3er, they're actually impressive to me.
>>>
>>> nate

>> I remember changing my 77 280Z sealed beams to halogen sealed beams. They
>> seemed better. The pattern was different. I've never noticed oncoming
>> problem with chevy trucks, but my 2007 avalanche lights are the best I've
>> ever used. Light to spare. Being higher up in the air is an advantage for
>> distance.

> a giant pita for car users though. being followed by an suv at night,
> they may as well be on high beams if you're lower than them.

I'm wondering if low beam shuts off, using high beam. Some both go on if
you hold the toggle.

Greg
Old March 5th 14, 03:53 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

On Wednesday, April 17, 2013 5:04:34 PM UTC-7, Ashton Crusher wrote:
> The latest fad on cars is to use LEDs for some of the front lights,
>
> particularly the DRLs, and use LEDs for brake lights. Naturally, the
>
> automakers have to overdo a good thing and have made these LEDs way
>
> too bright. Sitting behind someone at night who has their brakes on
>
> can blind you. And approaching one of these vehicles with the LED
>
> DRLS will likewise blind you during the day. They are as bad or worse
>
> then the offensive HID systems so faddish.

I compeletely agree. Head lights and tail lights are way too bright!
Old March 7th 14, 11:57 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
I hate front wheel drive, send most torque to the rear, please

Default LED stoplights on cars. TOO BRIGHT!!!

On 3/5/14, 6:53, wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 17, 2013 5:04:34 PM UTC-7, Ashton Crusher wrote:
>> The latest fad on cars is to use LEDs for some of the front lights,
>>
>> particularly the DRLs, and use LEDs for brake lights. Naturally, the
>>
>> automakers have to overdo a good thing and have made these LEDs way
>>
>> too bright. Sitting behind someone at night who has their brakes on
>>
>> can blind you. And approaching one of these vehicles with the LED
>>
>> DRLS will likewise blind you during the day. They are as bad or worse
>>
>> then the offensive HID systems so faddish.

> I compeletely agree. Head lights and tail lights are way too bright!

I was sitting in traffic behind prius the other day and I noticed when
stop lights came on they were much brighter than the taillights that are
on all the time.

I understand it might help to fend off a drunk or two in no fault
states but it looked somewhere on the tackish to outright disgusting
continuum. Closer to disgusting I'd think.

Automakers, leave that as a no cost option for sale in no fault states,
the rest of the world will be likely better without them.