Radials for 71 Matador

Old January 27th 14, 01:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
sctvguy1[_2_]

Default Radials for 71 Matador

Having a hell of a time finding the 215/75, everyone says that it is only
a "trailer tire" and will not put them on a car. The other one is
strictly a car tire, but is a 70 series. My car rides terribly because
the tires that I have (195/75) are too small for the weight and are
overloaded.
Would the 70 series be OK. Both are listed as compatible with the
original G78-14. Coker sells the correct tire, but what a price! This
car is not a "restored original", just a daily driver that is in original
condition.
Old January 27th 14, 03:18 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On Sunday, January 26, 2014 8:32:46 PM UTC-5, sctvguy1 wrote:
> Having a hell of a time finding the 215/75, everyone says that it is only
>
> a "trailer tire" and will not put them on a car. The other one is
>
> strictly a car tire, but is a 70 series. My car rides terribly because
>
> the tires that I have (195/75) are too small for the weight and are
>
> overloaded.
>
> Would the 70 series be OK. Both are listed as compatible with the
>
> original G78-14. Coker sells the correct tire, but what a price! This
>
> car is not a "restored original", just a daily driver that is in original
>
> condition.

The main ideas are to get the rolling diameter as close to original as possible and also to ensure that the tire you choose is rated for the rim width that you have. Another consideration would be to ensure that you have clearance around all the bodywork and suspension members, but that is generally not an issue with stock rims as that will limit tire width. (I have managed to stuff 245s under an old Studebaker that originally came with 6.70-15s, but you can't do that with the original 5" wide rims!)

Anyway, I don't have specs handy on the old school tires but let's assume that a 195/75R14 tire is the correct rolling diameter. Since you're sticking with the original wheels, we can ignore the "14" for now as that will remain constant. So you want the sidewall height to be the same no matter how wide the tires are. What you're shooting for, then, is a sidewall height of about (195*0.75) or 136.5mm. 205/70 is 143.5; a little meatier but in the ballpark. 215/65 is 139.75mm, also an option if it'll fit your rims, as is 225/60 (135mm).

A 225/60R14 BFG Radial T/A will fit on a 6" to 8" wide rim

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

they don't make a 215/65 but they do make a 205/70 which will fit a 5" to 7" rim, so that would be my choice if your stock wheels are 5" or 5.5" wide.

good luck,

nate

Old January 27th 14, 03:23 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On Sunday, January 26, 2014 10:18:39 PM UTC-5, N8N wrote:
> On Sunday, January 26, 2014 8:32:46 PM UTC-5, sctvguy1 wrote:
>
> > Having a hell of a time finding the 215/75, everyone says that it is only

> > a "trailer tire" and will not put them on a car. The other one is

> > strictly a car tire, but is a 70 series. My car rides terribly because

> > the tires that I have (195/75) are too small for the weight and are

> > overloaded.

> > Would the 70 series be OK. Both are listed as compatible with the

> > original G78-14. Coker sells the correct tire, but what a price! This

> > car is not a "restored original", just a daily driver that is in original

> > condition.

> The main ideas are to get the rolling diameter as close to original as possible and also to ensure that the tire you choose is rated for the rim width that you have. Another consideration would be to ensure that you have clearance around all the bodywork and suspension members, but that is generally not an issue with stock rims as that will limit tire width. (I have managed to stuff 245s under an old Studebaker that originally came with 6.70-15s, but you can't do that with the original 5" wide rims!)
>

> Anyway, I don't have specs handy on the old school tires but let's assume that a 195/75R14 tire is the correct rolling diameter. Since you're sticking with the original wheels, we can ignore the "14" for now as that will remain constant. So you want the sidewall height to be the same no matter how wide the tires are. What you're shooting for, then, is a sidewall height of about (195*0.75) or 136.5mm. 205/70 is 143.5; a little meatier but in the ballpark. 215/65 is 139.75mm, also an option if it'll fit your rims, as is 225/60 (135mm).
>

> A 225/60R14 BFG Radial T/A will fit on a 6" to 8" wide rim
>

> http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
>

> they don't make a 215/65 but they do make a 205/70 which will fit a 5" to 7" rim, so that would be my choice if your stock wheels are 5" or 5.5" wide.
>

> good luck,
>

> nate

Here's a handy chart to convert alphanumeric to P-metric

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...sionchart.html

Assuming you're starting with an E78-14, the chart tells you pretty much what I calculated; you could use P195/75R14, P205/70R14, P225/60R14, or P245/50R14 - but whether you can actually fit the wider options to your stock rims depends on the manufacturer's recommended rim widths for the specific tire models you're looking at, and I'm guessing that the 245 definitely won't work and the 225 is iffy.

good luck

nate
Old January 27th 14, 04:15 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
sctvguy1[_2_]

On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 19:23:57 -0800, N8N wrote:

> On Sunday, January 26, 2014 10:18:39 PM UTC-5, N8N wrote:
>> On Sunday, January 26, 2014 8:32:46 PM UTC-5, sctvguy1 wrote:
>>
>> > Having a hell of a time finding the 215/75, everyone says that it is
>> > only

>> > a "trailer tire" and will not put them on a car. The other one is

>> > strictly a car tire, but is a 70 series. My car rides terribly
>> > because

>> > the tires that I have (195/75) are too small for the weight and are

>> > overloaded.

>> > Would the 70 series be OK. Both are listed as compatible with the

>> > original G78-14. Coker sells the correct tire, but what a price!
>> > This

>> > car is not a "restored original", just a daily driver that is in
>> > original

>> > condition.

>> The main ideas are to get the rolling diameter as close to original as
>> possible and also to ensure that the tire you choose is rated for the
>> rim width that you have. Another consideration would be to ensure that
>> you have clearance around all the bodywork and suspension members, but
>> that is generally not an issue with stock rims as that will limit tire
>> width. (I have managed to stuff 245s under an old Studebaker that
>> originally came with 6.70-15s, but you can't do that with the original
>> 5" wide rims!)
>>

>> Anyway, I don't have specs handy on the old school tires but let's
>> assume that a 195/75R14 tire is the correct rolling diameter. Since
>> you're sticking with the original wheels, we can ignore the "14" for
>> now as that will remain constant. So you want the sidewall height to
>> be the same no matter how wide the tires are. What you're shooting
>> for, then, is a sidewall height of about (195*0.75) or 136.5mm. 205/70
>> is 143.5; a little meatier but in the ballpark. 215/65 is 139.75mm,
>> also an option if it'll fit your rims, as is 225/60 (135mm).
>>

>> A 225/60R14 BFG Radial T/A will fit on a 6" to 8" wide rim
>>

>> http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?

tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Radial+T%
2FA&partnum=26SR4RADTARWL2V2&vehicleSearch=false&f romCompare1=yes

>> they don't make a 215/65 but they do make a 205/70 which will fit a 5"
>> to 7" rim, so that would be my choice if your stock wheels are 5" or
>> 5.5" wide.
>>

>> good luck,
>>

>> nate

> Here's a handy chart to convert alphanumeric to P-metric
>
> http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...sionchart.html
>
> Assuming you're starting with an E78-14, the chart tells you pretty much
> what I calculated; you could use P195/75R14, P205/70R14, P225/60R14, or
> P245/50R14 - but whether you can actually fit the wider options to your
> stock rims depends on the manufacturer's recommended rim widths for the
> specific tire models you're looking at, and I'm guessing that the 245
> definitely won't work and the 225 is iffy.
>
> good luck
>
> nate

Thanks, nate,
I have a chart from vintagecarconnection.com vintage tire chart. They
say that the 225/70R14 will work. That seems to be the only one that
regular tire stores stock. The other one they stock, but will not
install on cars! What crap! I looked at Coker and they wanted $158 for
the BFG, and $184 for the Coker original style! Also, Tires Plus screwed
me by not really giving me the equvilant of the G78, rather they gave me
the E78! The Matador with the 360, Auto, PS/PB, A/C is just too heavy
for those skinny tires!
Old January 28th 14, 01:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Roger Blake[_2_]

On 2014-01-27, sctvguy1 > wrote:
> Having a hell of a time finding the 215/75, everyone says that it is only
> a "trailer tire" and will not put them on a car. The other one is
> strictly a car tire, but is a 70 series. My car rides terribly because
> the tires that I have (195/75) are too small for the weight and are
> overloaded.

What I did on my '71 Ambassador wagon, which originally took an H78-14 tire
(only available at Coker for ridiculous prices), was to install 15" rims
from a rear-drive Dodge Diplomat and 215/75R-15 tires (which are common
and cheap as dirt).

This has worked out fine, I can get tires anywhere, the only downside
is that I cannot use the original 14" wheel covers. Not a big deal though
as this is not a show car, it's an occasional-use driver with bad paint
and some rust around the edges.

NSA sedition and treason -- http://www.DeathToNSAthugs.com
Old January 28th 14, 01:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

It's also okay for the rolling diameter to be such that your speedo reads 1-2mph FASTER that what you are actually doing.

Mine reads a constant 3mph over actual speed(whether going 20 or 60), so I know in my case it's a calibration issue, not my rims/tires, which are OEM size.

I always get it backwards though, if smaller outside diameter = higher speedo reading, or vice-versa(DAMN DYSLEXIA!). lol!
Old January 28th 14, 10:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
sctvguy1[_2_]

On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 13:04:37 +0000, Roger Blake wrote:

> On 2014-01-27, sctvguy1 > wrote:
>> Having a hell of a time finding the 215/75, everyone says that it is
>> only a "trailer tire" and will not put them on a car. The other one is
>> strictly a car tire, but is a 70 series. My car rides terribly because
>> the tires that I have (195/75) are too small for the weight and are
>> overloaded.

> What I did on my '71 Ambassador wagon, which originally took an H78-14
> tire (only available at Coker for ridiculous prices), was to install 15"
> rims from a rear-drive Dodge Diplomat and 215/75R-15 tires (which are
> common and cheap as dirt).
>
> This has worked out fine, I can get tires anywhere, the only downside is
> that I cannot use the original 14" wheel covers. Not a big deal though
> as this is not a show car, it's an occasional-use driver with bad paint
> and some rust around the edges.

I called several tire places around where I live in Texas, and they told
me that the 215/75 was a "trailer" tire only and that they would not
install it on a car! Sounded like crap to me!
Old January 28th 14, 11:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

On Tuesday, January 28, 2014 4:42:43 PM UTC-6, sctvguy1 wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 13:04:37 +0000, Roger Blake wrote:
>

> > On 2014-01-27, sctvguy1 > wrote:

> >> Having a hell of a time finding the 215/75, everyone says that it is

> >> only a "trailer tire" and will not put them on a car. The other one is

> >> strictly a car tire, but is a 70 series. My car rides terribly because

> >> the tires that I have (195/75) are too small for the weight and are

> >> overloaded.

> > What I did on my '71 Ambassador wagon, which originally took an H78-14

> > tire (only available at Coker for ridiculous prices), was to install 15"

> > rims from a rear-drive Dodge Diplomat and 215/75R-15 tires (which are

> > common and cheap as dirt).

> > This has worked out fine, I can get tires anywhere, the only downside is

> > that I cannot use the original 14" wheel covers. Not a big deal though

> > as this is not a show car, it's an occasional-use driver with bad paint

> > and some rust around the edges.

> I called several tire places around where I live in Texas, and they told
>
> me that the 215/75 was a "trailer" tire only and that they would not
>
> install it on a car! Sounded like crap to me!

Is it safe, using trailer tires on a car?
Old January 29th 14, 12:26 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

sctvguy1 wrote: "I called several tire places around where I live in Texas, and they told me that the 215/75 was a "trailer" tire only and that they would not install it on a car! Sounded like crap to me! "

This is what happens when rim diameters and widths got so out of control since the late 1990s. P-215/75R-15 or 14 is no longer recognized as a typical automotive application. smh!

Or is that "trailer" business just a Texastan thing?

1975 AMC Matador - fvr Rob Auto Photos 1 November 12th 12 02:22 PM
Can I Use 175/70R15 radials on 15 X 4.5 Wheel Rims? [email protected] VW air cooled 2 January 3rd 09 11:30 PM
Remember when we posted this kind of material? REPOSTS : 1974 AMC Matador Sport Coupe f3q+Matador-X Sv B&W.jpg (1/1) 94043 bytes ThomasS[_2_] Auto Photos 0 December 11th 06 05:53 AM
et street radials J. Sprauer Ford Mustang 1 October 16th 05 03:16 AM
Coker 16" radials Josh B. Malks Antique cars 0 August 6th 04 06:14 AM