intermittent cranks, won't start

Old February 25th 14, 03:01 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
T0m $herman

Default intermittent cranks, won't start

On 2/24/2014 3:19 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> The 84 Cavalier I used to have with the pushrod 4 would consistantly give me 27MPG. These days, the cars I have will give me around 17. Go figure!

Fuel mileage does not improve or gets worse due to the bloated weight
and excessive power of current vehicles - does anyone really need a
5,000-pound vehicle with 350-HP to commute to work? (I often get by
with 254 pounds and 9-HP - and 95 mpg.)

--
T0m $herm@n
Old February 25th 14, 03:28 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_10_]

On 2/24/2014 5:01 PM, T0m $herman wrote:
> On 2/24/2014 3:19 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> The 84 Cavalier I used to have with the pushrod 4 would consistantly
>> give me 27MPG. These days, the cars I have will give me around 17. Go
>> figure!
>>

> Fuel mileage does not improve or gets worse due to the bloated weight
> and excessive power of current vehicles - does anyone really need a
> 5,000-pound vehicle with 350-HP to commute to work? (I often get by
> with 254 pounds and 9-HP - and 95 mpg.)

I also had an 84 Subaru wagon which weighed about the same (2300 lbs)
with a 5 speed manual. Boy that engine was crappy. It got no more than
21 MPG. The Chevy with an automatic was faster and smoother. That's the
last time I take automobile suggestions from hippies.
Old February 25th 14, 03:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

On Mon, 24 Feb 2014 17:28:22 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

>On 2/24/2014 5:01 PM, T0m $herman wrote:
>> On 2/24/2014 3:19 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>>
>>> The 84 Cavalier I used to have with the pushrod 4 would consistantly
>>> give me 27MPG. These days, the cars I have will give me around 17. Go
>>> figure!
>>>

>> Fuel mileage does not improve or gets worse due to the bloated weight
>> and excessive power of current vehicles - does anyone really need a
>> 5,000-pound vehicle with 350-HP to commute to work? (I often get by
>> with 254 pounds and 9-HP - and 95 mpg.)
>>

>I also had an 84 Subaru wagon which weighed about the same (2300 lbs)
>with a 5 speed manual. Boy that engine was crappy. It got no more than
>21 MPG. The Chevy with an automatic was faster and smoother. That's the
>last time I take automobile suggestions from hippies.

Had an '85 Cavalier with the 2.0 from about '92 til '98. Kids were
embarrassed being seen near it after they got in high school.
Wife didn't like driving it to work either. A real rust bucket.
Gave it to my brother, who got a few more years out of it.
Never checked mileage on it, but my '03 Impala does 33 mpg - highway.
Not sure about city mileage.
Old February 25th 14, 04:10 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_10_]

On 2/24/2014 5:48 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

> Had an '85 Cavalier with the 2.0 from about '92 til '98. Kids were
> embarrassed being seen near it after they got in high school.
> Wife didn't like driving it to work either. A real rust bucket.
> Gave it to my brother, who got a few more years out of it.
> Never checked mileage on it, but my '03 Impala does 33 mpg - highway.
> Not sure about city mileage.

My wife crashed the Cavalier into the back of a car which hit the car in
front of it which hit the car in front of it. She said the car in the
middle looked like an accordion. The front of the Chevy received minor
damage. Another set of impact piston thingies and a bumper was around
$100 from the junkyard. There was no rust on the car but it was pretty
un-cool looking. Most car parts are over-priced or priced about right.
Parts for the Chevy was so cheap it made me feel guilty to pay so little.

I sold it to some college kids and we'd see it around our little town
for quite a while. I like to think that it's running around somewhere
still.