MX-5 Commuter?

Old August 9th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
CR

Default MX-5 Commuter?

Seeking opinions about using an MX-5 Miata as a daily driver - and
frequent touring/sport car.

Here are some details of the daily commute:
- small city <150,000
- 8-10 miles one way through town
- city streets and/or bypass expressway
- midwestern climate

What fuel mileage will the Miata provide?
- 5-speed manual transmission

Level of comfort?
- assume top down as much as possible ;-)

Long-term satisfaction?
- 50+ year-old driver(s)

Thanks in advance for any opinions!

CMR
Old August 9th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

CR > wrote:
> Seeking opinions about using an MX-5 Miata as a daily driver - and
> frequent touring/sport car.

I have a '05 MazdaSpeed, this is how I use it and I have an opinion...

> Here are some details of the daily commute:
> - small city <150,000
> - 8-10 miles one way through town
> - city streets and/or bypass expressway
> - midwestern climate

I live in the country outside a smaller city in coastal northern
California. I don't have the humidity that you have to deal with, but
we do have some fog in the morning. I get to drive on some hilly and
winding roads as part of my commute and I do have to drive down a
major highway for about 4 miles and then through a bit of town to get
to my office. My commute is about 20 miles and takes me 25 minutes
each way. Unfortunately those winding roads have speed limits. I've
been reminded by the highway patrol...twice.

> What fuel mileage will the Miata provide?
> - 5-speed manual transmission

I get 25-26 mpg consistently. I have a turbocharger which I do not
believe is available on the '06 Miata's so I cannot comment on the
mileage.

> Level of comfort?
> - assume top down as much as possible ;-)

Absolutely! :-)

In the '05, it takes about 10 seconds to drop or lift the top. It
takes longer to comb my hair at the end of the drive and I'm not
kidding.

> Long-term satisfaction?
> - 50+ year-old driver(s)

I've had mine for 20 months, so I don't know about "long-term"
satisfaction, but mid-term can not be described as anything less than
"enthusiastically satisfied". No, no, that really doesn't express my
intense level of satisfaction.

I have 26K miles on it now and just bought a set of tires. I changed
the oil every 3000-4000 miles religiously. The fuel pump failed last
year within warranty and Mazda paid for a tow to the nearest dealer
(about 25 miles). They loaned me a new Miata for the day and the
repair did not cost me a penny. The loaner didn't have a turbo and I
realized how happy I am to have one in my Miata.

> Thanks in advance for any opinions!

You're welcome! I hope this helps.

-Bob
Old August 9th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Carbon[_1_]

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 23:38:02 +0000, bobino wrote:

> I get 25-26 mpg consistently. I have a turbocharger which I do not
> believe is available on the '06 Miata's so I cannot comment on the
> mileage.

I have an MSM too. I'm getting around 21-ish mpg. I think I'd do better if
I could stay out of the turbo. I admit I normally lose that battle. I do
ok and then I hit a stretch of open road... Damn this thing is fun.

I took a couple of folks for rides who were pretty much amazed by the
whole experience. The wife's uncle is looking for one right now. These
things are addictive.

Anyway I'd totally get a Miata. They're great. Even the morning commute is
more fun with the top down in a zippy little car. You can't help but
smile.
Old August 9th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
CR

> In the '05, it takes about 10 seconds to drop or lift the top. It
> takes longer to comb my hair at the end of the drive and I'm not
> kidding.

This won't be a benchmark in my case...hair started disappearing 10 yrs.
and several thousand miles ago!
Old August 9th 06, 04:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
frank

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 01:21:45 +0000, CR wrote:

>> In the '05, it takes about 10 seconds to drop or lift the top. It takes
>> longer to comb my hair at the end of the drive and I'm not kidding.

> This won't be a benchmark in my case...hair started disappearing 10 yrs.
> and several thousand miles ago!

Was that still covered under warranty?
Old August 9th 06, 05:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
frank > wrote:

> > This won't be a benchmark in my case...hair started disappearing 10 yrs.
> > and several thousand miles ago!

> Was that still covered under warranty?

No, more likely a hat. <ducking>

Short trips, long trips, whatever--for us, the Miata is the car of
choice when cargo space isn't a factor. We take it on 5000-mile camping
vacations!

One test drive should tell you whether or not you're a roadster kinda
guy. If you are, it will turn your commute into the best part of your
day. I'd expect around 30 mpg from a 2006 when you're not flogging it.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old August 9th 06, 08:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Lanny Chambers wrote:

> No, more likely a hat. <ducking>

I heard no screams and found no bloodtrail, so it looks like you were
fast enough to cause me to miss.
You are still pretty spry despite your advanced years. ;-)

Going bald has many advantages. It saves on combs and
shampoo/conditioner and shaves a gram or so off of your total autocross
weight. It also gives you the option of doing that really cool-looking
combover hairstyle.....

Pat
Old August 9th 06, 11:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Dave[_3_]

In article > , CR > wrote:

A bit of a counterpoint ...

>What fuel mileage will the Miata provide?
> - 5-speed manual transmission

I have the 6-speed. Get 25+ in normal suburban/rural, maybe 30-32
in highway cruise?

>Level of comfort?
> - assume top down as much as possible ;-)

Here's a key. Top down I love the car. But you will get hot on a
90+ degree day with the sun baking you. On a long highway drive,
you may get fatigued (many use earplugs). This car is loud at
highway cruise, as is most any convertible. But it is also revving
higher. To an afficionado, that sound is pleasant. But with top up,
the sound resonates and it is far less so. Plus the left-rear
blindspot (again, like most 'verts) is huge. I get paranoid about
traffic then. Far, far less enjoyable with the top up. Which in
the midwest, I assume means most of 4-5 months if indeed your dialy
commuter. Also, I find the seat less than comfortable on a long
drive, but that varies. If it helps, I have an '01.

>Long-term satisfaction?

No problem there. You just have to know what you are buying.

But as you can tell, I wouldn't make it my only car. It would be
fine as an alternate commuter which I would use 1/2 to 2/3 of the
time. I put mine way for the winter months (and miss it).
Old August 9th 06, 01:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
mickey53usa

I am on my second Miata (changed by choice, not because the car wore
out) ; )
First one was a 95 Automatic- daily commute was about 10 miles each way
- Top down, whenever the sun was not blistering hot - I also live in a
mid-sized town (200K), on the plains of Texas, so I have heat, but not
much humidity. - Mileage was 23-25. Drove it other than the daily drive
- autocross, etc.
Now own a 2005 - 6-Spd. Commute dropped to about 3 miles each way.
Mileage is 24-26 around town. Top down every morning on the way to
work, and most afternoons on the way home.
My wife doesn't like to drive it in town- too much shifting - but I
love it -

Good Luck - Many Smiles - Drive one - you will not want to get out.

Old August 9th 06, 02:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Eric Baber

> Now own a 2005 - 6-Spd. Commute dropped to about 3 miles each way.

In which case you might want to consider one of these
http://tinyurl.com/ndl4w :-) Apart from anything else it'll make an
astounding difference to your mpg....

Eric