Too goofy?

Old September 14th 06, 03:49 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
TeGGeR®

Default Too goofy?

:

> "jeffcoslacker" > wrote in
> message ...
>
>> An engine will begin to overheat if run at higher RPMs for extended
>> periods without a thermostat in place...and will not be able to
>> quickly warm itself on start -up as well, with unregulated flow to
>> the radiator...

> Your comments are well appreciated.
>
> The turbulence is provided in the radiator, not by the thermostat.
> The old story that the
> water circulates too quickly to cool is pure bull****. Does not hold
> water.

Lack of a thermostat results in OVERCOOLING, as anyone who has actually
tried it can attest. If an engine overheated even with no thermostat, there
was something else wrong to begin with.

--
TeGGeR®

Old September 14th 06, 03:51 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
TeGGeR®

:

> "jeffcoslacker" > wrote in
> message ...
>
>> Racing engines that don't use a thermostat still will use a reducer
>> in the water outlet. Know why?
>>

> Yes, I am familiar with this. But it has nothing to do with the
> turbulence in
> the radiator.

And what about engines with the thermostat in the LOWER rad hose? Many (if
not most) modern engines are of this configuration. In that case, the upper
hose inlet into the rad is completely unimpeded by any sort of baffle or
restriction.

--
TeGGeR®

Old September 14th 06, 09:13 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"TeGGeR®" > wrote in message

> Lack of a thermostat results in OVERCOOLING, as anyone who has actually
> tried it can attest. If an engine overheated even with no thermostat,

there
> was something else wrong to begin with.

> --
> TeGGeR®

Fully agree with eveyone who has posted about the increase in cooling when
the
thermostat is removed. Sometimes you get more cooling that you really
want.

Some may remember the old Volvos that had a 'venetian blind' in front of the
radiator that could help warm the engine even in cold Swedish winters.
Those
cars had thermostats and still had to keep the frigid air flow off the
radiator
and engine.

Old September 14th 06, 09:15 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jeffcoslacker[_148_]

> "jeffcoslacker" > wrote in
> message
>
> > Racing engines that don't use a thermostat still will use a reducer

> in
> > the water outlet. Know why?
> >

> Yes, I am familiar with this. But it has nothing to do with the
> turbulence in
> the radiator.

I didn't say it did. How'd you folks get so smart, when you can't
follow the logic contained in a single paragraph?

DNB is supressed by the additional pressure generated by the water pump
as it pushes against the restriction of the closed thermostat. This
helps negate the effect when the motor is started cold, and the coolant
is not moving.

I wondered where your system provides for this. That's all.

--
jeffcoslacker
jeffcoslacker's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=219638

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old September 14th 06, 09:21 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jeffcoslacker[_149_]

TeGGeR® Wrote:
> > wrote in
> :
>

> > "jeffcoslacker" > wrote in
> > message ...
> >
> >> An engine will begin to overheat if run at higher RPMs for extended
> >> periods without a thermostat in place...and will not be able to
> >> quickly warm itself on start -up as well, with unregulated flow to
> >> the radiator...

> > Your comments are well appreciated.
> >
> > The turbulence is provided in the radiator, not by the thermostat.
> > The old story that the
> > water circulates too quickly to cool is pure bull****. Does not hold
> > water.

> Lack of a thermostat results in OVERCOOLING, as anyone who has actually
> tried it can attest. If an engine overheated even with no thermostat,
> there
> was something else wrong to begin with.
>

> --
> TeGGeR®

Really? Of course it does...initially. Ever run one near WOT for
prolonged periods without one? Not talking about driving around town,
or for a few minutes at the track.. It was a statement of what CAN
happen, to illustrate a point, not what WILL happen in normal useage.

Old September 14th 06, 12:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
TeGGeR®

jeffcoslacker > wrote in
:

> DNB is supressed by the additional pressure generated by the water
> pump as it pushes against the restriction of the closed thermostat.
> This helps negate the effect when the motor is started cold, and the
> coolant is not moving.

The coolant IS moving with the thermostat closed -- through the
thermostat bypass. That's the device that keeps the block temperature
even as it warms up, and helps the thermostat open.

--
TeGGeR®

Old September 14th 06, 01:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jeffcoslacker[_150_]

TeGGeR® Wrote:
> jeffcoslacker > wrote in
> :
>

> > DNB is supressed by the additional pressure generated by the water
> > pump as it pushes against the restriction of the closed thermostat.
> > This helps negate the effect when the motor is started cold, and the
> > coolant is not moving.
> >

> The coolant IS moving with the thermostat closed -- through the
> thermostat bypass. That's the device that keeps the block temperature
> even as it warms up, and helps the thermostat open.
>

> --
> TeGGeR®

You're right. I just don't understand how to generate the pressure
required in the thermosiphon model.

Old September 14th 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
willy

jeffcoslacker wrote:
> TeGGeR® Wrote:
> > jeffcoslacker > wrote in
> > :
> >

> > > DNB is supressed by the additional pressure generated by the water
> > > pump as it pushes against the restriction of the closed thermostat.
> > > This helps negate the effect when the motor is started cold, and the
> > > coolant is not moving.
> > >

> > The coolant IS moving with the thermostat closed -- through the
> > thermostat bypass. That's the device that keeps the block temperature
> > even as it warms up, and helps the thermostat open.
> >

> > --
> > TeGGeR®

> You're right. I just don't understand how to generate the pressure
> required in the thermosiphon model.

?. An automotive cooling system is not a thermosiphon system. A
thermosiphon system "does not" use a circulating pump.

Old September 14th 06, 06:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jeffcoslacker[_151_]

willy Wrote:
> jeffcoslacker wrote:
> > TeGGeR® Wrote:
> > > jeffcoslacker > wrote in
> > > :

> water

> thermostat.

> the
> > > >

> > > The coolant IS moving with the thermostat closed -- through the
> > > thermostat bypass. That's the device that keeps the block

> temperature
> > > even as it warms up, and helps the thermostat open.
> > >

> > > --
> > > TeGGeR®

> > You're right. I just don't understand how to generate the pressure
> > required in the thermosiphon model.

> ?. An automotive cooling system is not a thermosiphon system. A
> thermosiphon system "does not" use a circulating pump.
> >

> > --
> > jeffcoslacker

> > jeffcoslacker's Profile:

> http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=219638
> > View this thread:

> http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=619116
> >
> > 'http://www.automotiveforums.com' (http://www.automotiveforums.com)

I give up...I was talking about the OP's idea, not current
systems...like talking to a wall...

Old September 14th 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Knifeblade_03[_37_]

I give up, too, was going to give my :2cents: worth, but nah.

--
Knifeblade_03
Knifeblade_03's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=262826