Audi A4, 1,9 TDi, Quattro, 1997; tips for buying - what to look for?

Old June 20th 05, 09:43 PM
Terje J.

Default Audi A4, 1,9 TDi, Quattro, 1997; tips for buying - what to look for?

Hi,

I am considering buying the car mentioned in the topic-line. It has run
145.000 km. What to look for when checking out the car? Any "standard
weaknesses"?

Thank you.

Terje, Norway
Old June 22nd 05, 01:39 PM

Terje J. schreef:
> Hi,
>
> I am considering buying the car mentioned in the topic-line. It has run
> 145.000 km. What to look for when checking out the car? Any "standard
> weaknesses"?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Terje, Norway

You might want to look into that suspicious low mileage ...
One standard weakness is the Mass Airflow Sensor which has to be
replaced quite often.

Regards, Dave

Old June 23rd 05, 09:07 PM
Art M

What's so suspicious about 10000 miles per year?

Terje, you mighyt want to try this google search for more info:
http://tinyurl.com/85jkx

oups.com...

Old June 24th 05, 12:25 PM

I don't know for sure what the situation is in Norway, but in the part
of Europe where I live, people don't buy diesels to do 16.000km a year

Regards, Dave

Old June 24th 05, 02:55 PM
Guy King

The message >
from Peter Bell > contains these words:

> That's probably quite a broad generalisation. My wife's A2 TDi has done
> around 28k miles (45.000km) in three years. You probaly don't expect an
> RS6 to have low mileages either, but mine has done 18k miles (29.000km)
> in two years.

My 100 TDI auto's only done 220,000 but then it's 11 years old.

--
Skipweasel.
Ivor Cutler - "Never knowingly understood."

Old June 26th 05, 10:40 PM
Kai Rode

>I don't know for sure what the situation is in Norway, but in the part
>of Europe where I live, people don't buy diesels to do 16.000km a year

According to Germany's automobile club (ADAC), the breakeven point for
diesel engines is at about 12.500 km/a for some models because of tax
differences in Germany. But taxes do vary a lot in Europe.

Kai
Old June 27th 05, 04:24 PM
JP Roberts

..- Bad tie rods, and suspension upper front control arms always go bad
sooner or later because of poor design and/or materials.
..- Wheel bearings. Very expensive considering what they are.
..- Turboes and vacuum lines often going bad. You might want to check boost.
..- Water coolant temp sensor goes bad very often.
..- Run an OBD diagnostic test to check for any fault codes.
..- Windscreen is of unusually low quality, so check it's in perfect
condition.
..- Have a look at brake rotors and pads.
..- Test drive it to check damper status.
..- Look for any leaks.

Old June 27th 05, 04:26 PM
JP Roberts

Oh, and I forgot your ABS control module is probably about to "pass away" at
that. Check you can find a cheap replacement before you need one.