Cooling flaps

Old July 4th 05, 10:40 AM
Joao Eliseu

Default Cooling flaps

"Joao Eliseu" > wrote:

>How can I check if my cooling flaps are working fine?
>I put my hand behind the cooling surround and I can feel the linkage but it
>doesn’t
>move when I push or pull it.
>Can I expand and compress the thermostat by hand to check?
>
>OT: This weekend I bought a new set of 15/5,5 rims. Now I have to buy the
>tires
>:-)
>

>Joao

So...no one knows how to test the flaps with the engine on? :-)

Joao
Old July 4th 05, 12:56 PM
Jan

Joao Eliseu wrote:
> "Joao Eliseu" > wrote:
>
>>How can I check if my cooling flaps are working fine?
>>I put my hand behind the cooling surround and I can feel the linkage but it
>>doesn’t
>>move when I push or pull it.
>>Can I expand and compress the thermostat by hand to check?
>>
>>OT: This weekend I bought a new set of 15/5,5 rims. Now I have to buy the
>>tires
>>:-)
>>

>>Joao

> So...no one knows how to test the flaps with the engine on? :-)
>
> Joao

Remove the 13mm head bolt that keeps the thermostat secured to the
bracket. Bolt goes right into the heart of teh thermostat. Now you
should be able to move the thermostat up and down when the engine is
cold. In the UP position, the flaps should be open. There's supposed to
be a spring in the back of the shroud that tries to pull the flaps open,
so removing the thermostat bolt should result in the thermostat being
pulled to the upmost position, against the top of teh bracket. If you
pull it back down, it closes the flaps.

Jan
Old July 4th 05, 02:31 PM
Joao Eliseu

Jan > wrote:
>Joao Eliseu wrote:
>> "Joao Eliseu" > wrote:
>>
>>>How can I check if my cooling flaps are working fine?
>>>I put my hand behind the cooling surround and I can feel the linkage but

>it
>>>doesn’t
>>>move when I push or pull it.
>>>Can I expand and compress the thermostat by hand to check?
>>>
>>>OT: This weekend I bought a new set of 15/5,5 rims. Now I have to buy the
>>>tires
>>>:-)
>>>

>>>Joao

>> So...no one knows how to test the flaps with the engine on? :-)
>>
>> Joao

> Remove the 13mm head bolt that keeps the thermostat secured to the
>bracket. Bolt goes right into the heart of teh thermostat. Now you
>should be able to move the thermostat up and down when the engine is
>cold. In the UP position, the flaps should be open. There's supposed to
>be a spring in the back of the shroud that tries to pull the flaps open,
>so removing the thermostat bolt should result in the thermostat being
>pulled to the upmost position, against the top of teh bracket. If you
>pull it back down, it closes the flaps.
>

>Jan

Thanks for the tip. It is very difficult to know the engine temperature. We only
know when it is already overheated

Joao
Old July 7th 05, 03:55 PM
Tunafish

When the engine is warmed up their should be a steady waft of air out of the
back of it between the bottom of the cylinder heads and deflector tin.
However, Jans method is best.

--Steve

Old July 8th 05, 12:30 PM
Joao Eliseu

"Tunafish" > wrote:
>When the engine is warmed up their should be a steady waft of air out of the
>
>back of it between the bottom of the cylinder heads and deflector tin.
>However, Jans method is best.
>
>--Steve

Yes, I will try to feel the difference of the amount of air from cool to hot engine.
I should have think of that in first place.

Joao
Old July 8th 05, 12:50 PM
Dennis Wik

I seem to be the only other person who has had several bad experiences
with flaps over the years. Check the spring and make sure nothing is
binding on the linkage. My Puma was running hot a few weeks ago and I
blamed my leaving the parking brake slightly engaged. Turns out the
linkage was rubbing and sticking on the top of number one leaving the
flaps about half open. Now they are open and will stay that way. No
comments from those who worship the flap gods. I believe the biggest
enemy of my engine is heat not cold.

href="http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4025706&a=30209382&vt=vp">Den's
1977 Puma</a>

Old July 8th 05, 05:31 PM
Jan Andersson

Dennis Wik wrote:

> I seem to be the only other person who has had several bad experiences
> with flaps over the years. Check the spring and make sure nothing is
> binding on the linkage. My Puma was running hot a few weeks ago and I
> blamed my leaving the parking brake slightly engaged. Turns out the
> linkage was rubbing and sticking on the top of number one leaving the
> flaps about half open. Now they are open and will stay that way. No
> comments from those who worship the flap gods. I believe the biggest
> enemy of my engine is heat not cold.
>
> href="http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4025706&a=30209382&vt=vp">Den's
> 1977 Puma</a>

If you don't like the *operation* of the flaps, jam them fully open.
Your engine will run cooler than without flaps.

Jan
Old July 8th 05, 06:26 PM
Joao Eliseu

Jan Andersson > wrote:
>Dennis Wik wrote:
>>
>> I seem to be the only other person who has had several bad experiences
>> with flaps over the years. Check the spring and make sure nothing is
>> binding on the linkage. My Puma was running hot a few weeks ago and I
>> blamed my leaving the parking brake slightly engaged. Turns out the
>> linkage was rubbing and sticking on the top of number one leaving the
>> flaps about half open. Now they are open and will stay that way. No
>> comments from those who worship the flap gods. I believe the biggest
>> enemy of my engine is heat not cold.
>>
>> href="http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4025706&a=30209382&vt=vp">Den's
>> 1977 Puma</a>

>If you don't like the *operation* of the flaps, jam them fully open.
>Your engine will run cooler than without flaps.
>
>Jan

I will open my flaps to see if I notice any difference. Anyway, I think that I will
pull the engine to replace the center manifold, because the heater tube and the
I can chek them. I can get a manifold with the heater tube of a bigger diameter.
I was told that they changed the diameter around 74. Let’s see if I can toss that
flat spot from idle.

Joao
Old July 8th 05, 07:02 PM
Jan Andersson

Joao Eliseu wrote:

> Jan Andersson > wrote:
> >Dennis Wik wrote:
> >>
> >> I seem to be the only other person who has had several bad experiences
> >> with flaps over the years. Check the spring and make sure nothing is
> >> binding on the linkage. My Puma was running hot a few weeks ago and I
> >> blamed my leaving the parking brake slightly engaged. Turns out the
> >> linkage was rubbing and sticking on the top of number one leaving the
> >> flaps about half open. Now they are open and will stay that way. No
> >> comments from those who worship the flap gods. I believe the biggest
> >> enemy of my engine is heat not cold.
> >>
> >> href="http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4025706&a=30209382&vt=vp">Den's
> >> 1977 Puma</a>

> >If you don't like the *operation* of the flaps, jam them fully open.
> >Your engine will run cooler than without flaps.
> >
> >Jan

> I will open my flaps to see if I notice any difference. Anyway, I think that I will
> pull the engine to replace the center manifold, because the heater tube and the
> I can chek them. I can get a manifold with the heater tube of a bigger diameter.
> I was told that they changed the diameter around 74. Let’s see if I can toss that
> flat spot from idle.
>
> Joao

1600 buses had bigger diameter heater pipe, haven't seen a clogged one
yet.

Jan
Old July 9th 05, 02:18 AM
Dennis Wik

Jan, I do leave the flaps in but they do stay open . Dennis